mtbr member

Sudbury - Fat Biking

Looking for a little help from any of the northern folk here.

Heading up to visit family this weekend. Just bought a new fat bike for winter fun times. So desperately want to get out Sat/Sun for some rides, but there is a projected 15-25 cm of snow for Thursday/Friday.

My parents have property east of the city that backs on to crown land and connects to sled trials. I've explored it a fair amount on foot and was hoping for frozen temps, but minimal snow to explore the trails and relatively barren landscape. That's not going to work with the projected forecast.

Any suggestions about where I might be able to ride? I would think the sledders will be in out in full force with the holidays and the dumping of snow. Anyplace I could easily start from, explore if they have been packing down the landscape?

mtbr member
    Well this is really first real snow fall this winter so you will be hard pressed to fined packed trails Saturday but by Sunday you will have some options. I would start by exploring around Laurentian conservation area probably the moonlight beach side.

And if you promise to let me have a turn on your bike ill even show up with my snowshoe and pack some single track for you just send me a PM

Evil Jr.
    My Mom will be thrilled at the snow! She has her heart set on tobogganing with our boy over the holidays.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Hey GM, I am the guy who bought you the beer on Monday's Christie Build party at Domestique. I am heading to Sudbury to visit the folks as well but will likely bring XC skis instead of my bike.

My suggestion for Cpt Sydor is to visit Moonlight Beach as there are walking trails that head towards the eastern bypass. While there I expect you will find snowmobile tracks... Test out how the compacted snow works for your fat bike and if the answer is good you will find all sorts of places open up for you.

One suggestion is just east of Falconbridge Road there's a large expanse of open land. There are trails back there from dirt bikes and the snow machines are always back there, too. You can probably find access by looking for snow machines that have crossed Falconbridge Rd or Hwy 17, a click or so east of Falconbridge road... All of this should fit nicely with your family being on the east side of town.

Good luck.

Stephen
    Santa Cruz Tallboy - lovin' the full squish 29'r!

mtbr member
    All in all, the 25cm of snow thursday/friday was too much for the fatbikes. Needs some time to pack down. Tried making a trail with snow shoes, 6-8 passes wasn't even close enough. Today caught the main sled trails in coniston, which had seen significant traffic and it was still a brutal slog unless the trail was one sled wide and perfectly flat (no side angle). Just stuck with some backroads and snow shoes. Seems that any trail made by something that flats left too much soft stuff the bike could't stay on. Needs some time to compacy/harden orthaw a little and freeze up. Still good times.

mtbr member
    I used to live in Sudbury, and it was always a blast to ride our bikes on the Snowmobile trails. They were so frozen and packed that only a regular MTB was needed.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    All in all, the 25cm of snow thursday/friday was too much for the fatbikes. Needs some time to pack down. Tried making a trail with snow shoes, 6-8 passes wasn't even close enough. Today caught the main sled trails in coniston, which had seen significant traffic and it was still a brutal slog unless the trail was one sled wide and perfectly flat (no side angle). Just stuck with some backroads and snow shoes. Seems that any trail made by something that flats left too much soft stuff the bike could't stay on. Needs some time to compacy/harden orthaw a little and freeze up. Still good times.
    Snow shoed trails and even hiked trails are great fun singletrack on a fatbike, but as you say that much snow needs to go through a thaw freeze cycle for effective riding. My favourite type of sled trail is where someone has just slowly meandered through the woods without spinning up the track much. This makes a great compacted surface for a fat tire! The main heavily travelled sled trails are typically churned up to loose powder from so many spinning tracks which can be hard to steer in, but are usually rideable near the edges. Again a thaw freeze cycle works wonders! That's why the very best fatbiking is typically from mid to late Feb onward when we often get above zero day time temps and refreezing at night.

I have been luckier in my area in that we only got about 10 cm of snow and it was wet when it fell, with the following day being cold and blustery which dried and set the snow. So for now I am able to ride anywhere and everywhere while the skiing would still be very sketchy. Fatbiking and XC-skiing complement each other well since some of the best conditions for one are the worst for the other. Santa is sliding some snowshoes under the tree for me and the mrs. this year and we will be trying that out for the first time ever. Hope you have a great holiday!

ps - run your tires in the 6 to 8 lb range, ideally as soft as possible without risk of bottoming on the rim over bumps. this makes a huge difference on snow compared to say 13 - 15 lb that you would ride on the street. same as "airing down" a jeep for offroad.