mtbr member
    Feb 2006

Subnet love (Newfoundland content)

Got out for an early morning spin on Subnet, which is one of the premier trails in the St. John's area friday morning. It was so much fun that I felt compelled to take some pics and post them here. I don't ride it all that often as I live on the other side of town and tend to mix riding with trail work at Richmond Hill on most of my rides. The relative smoothness and speed of Subnet is a welcome change from the relentless tech of RH. The city removed the trail's namesake; the WWII net that was strung across the narrows to prevent U-Boats from getting into the harbour. That sucks because it was cool to look at and a good story, but the trail is pure awesome.

Dropping into the big descent. This section wouldn't be out of place on a DH trail!

View out to the ocean with obligatory fishing boat.

This is as smooth as it gets on the Avalon peninsula.

Sage advice in pink spray paint on the bridge: "Don't Fall" with an arrow pointing at the bog hole on the left.
    Last time I rode the trail the rock before the bridge was a sheet of ice and I was on it and committed by the time I figured that out. I made it, but barely.

View out towards Cape Spear from the highest point on the trail. It was really hazy that day for some reason.

Sorry for the crappy cell phone pics.

mtbr member
    That looks pretty awesome. I really got to get out the the East coast again and so some riding. Last time I was single and in Halifax and gotta say I never left the pubs. Friendliest place ever.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by L. Ron Hoover View Post
    The city removed the trail's namesake; the WWII net that was strung across the narrows to prevent U-Boats from getting into the harbour. That sucks because it was cool to look at and a good story, but the trail is pure awesome.
    Nice looking trail and very cool story.

They had a similar net set up across the harbour in Gaspé. When you visit Forillon National Park, you can check out one of the concrete bunkers where the guns were placed to fire into the net. Super cool!

Name:  198.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  14.3 KB
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Got out for an early morning spin on Subnet
    Silly me, when I read the thread title I was trying to figure out how mountain biking in Newfoundland could be related to IP addressing and networks.

Love pictures like this one below that, at a quick glance, make it very difficult to tell which part is level and which part is the slope. Without your description I almost wouldn't have known!

Sage advice in pink spray paint on the bridge: "Don't Fall" with an arrow pointing at the bog hole on the left.
    Last time I rode the trail the rock before the bridge was a sheet of ice and I was on it and committed by the time I figured that out. I made it, but barely.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    That looks pretty awesome. I really got to get out the the East coast again and so some riding. Last time I was single and in Halifax and gotta say I never left the pubs. Friendliest place ever.
    I lived in Halifax for a few years. It's a great town. St. John's is very similar except probably more friendly (if you can believe that).

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Nice looking trail and very cool story.

They had a similar net set up across the harbour in Gaspé. When you visit Forillon National Park, you can check out one of the concrete bunkers where the guns were placed to fire into the net. Super cool!

Name:  198.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  14.3 KB
    Cool, there's all kinds of that stuff around here too on Signal Hill, Fort Amherst and Cape Spear. The guns at Cape Spear must be 40 feet long.

Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Silly me, when I read the thread title I was trying to figure out how mountain biking in Newfoundland could be related to IP addressing and networks.

Love pictures like this one below that, at a quick glance, make it very difficult to tell which part is level and which part is the slope. Without your description I almost wouldn't have known!
    Hahaha, I wondered that myself when I first heard the name, but then I figured out that it was a bit more literal than that.

That rock face leading into the bridge is actually very very steep, looks vertical from the top, which is why I ended up past the point of no return when I realized it was frozen.

No. Just No. Moderator
    That rock face leading into the bridge is actually very very steep, looks vertical from the top, which is why I ended up past the point of no return when I realized it was frozen.
    It looks like it, but without the orientation of the trees as a frame of reference, you could have just as easily convinced me that it was a steep ramp down to flat level rock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    It looks like it, but without the orientation of the trees as a frame of reference, you could have just as easily convinced me that it was a steep ramp down to flat level rock.
    I can totally see how you could see it that way at a quick glance now that you mention it. The little bend in the nearfield end of the bridge adds to that illusion.

Gnarly
    Nice pics of your neck of the woods LRon!

Sweet Intense too
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies