Thread: Studded tires ?

mtbr member

Studded tires ?

Ok all of you hardcore winter riders out there What do you think ? Are studded tires worth getting or are regular tires good enough? Right now I am running kenda nevegals stick-e in a 2.35 size on my daily commuter/winter bike, sometimes I run into icy patches and it can get real tricky going across it. Today I went for a ride on some trails around erindale as I live very close to it and I had hellova work out , the snow was heavy, sticky and wet and trying to maintain a straight line without having the front wheel slipping was a real challenge, as was trying to go up steep hills. I wonder if studded tires would of helped. Oh and I did not see any other bike tire tracks, around the trails, no not even one. I guess I was the first one since the big snow fall.

mtbr member
    Studded tires will make the difference between you riding and not riding. Period. They're fan-freaking-tastic. It's like night and day. Spend the money (they're expensive) and buy REALLY good ones like the Nokians and you'll have them for years.

Trust me, you won't regret having them.

Cheers,
    Dan

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    Trust me, you won't regret having them.
    I totally agree....its money well spent. I'd go for the carbide type studs.

2WD
    Rides like a girl
    My Nobby Nics have been working out just fine in the snow and on the ice.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 2WD
    My Nobby Nics have been working out just fine in the snow and on the ice.

Snow - you're right, no need for studded tires. But ice - sorry, but there's no (un-studded) tire out there, no matter what the make or tread pattern, that will perform well on ice (I'm talking frozen lake kind of ice surface). Try turning suddenly on the ice, even at a slower speed, and see what happens. The same can be done with no problem with studded tires. It's actually quite amazing, as you don't expect such grip ON ICE. But they work wonderfully.

Arek
    Last edited by Arek; 12-24-2007 at 09:48 PM.

IMBA-GORBA Bike Patrol

depends on where you ride

We ride Hilton Agreement Forest all winter and there are few days where studded tires do any good. Sticky 2.3 or wider with as little air as you can get away with works great on snow.
    If where you plan to ride there is or will be ice get the studs and save your neck. Don't forget to switch out your SPD's for flats.
    ENJOY LIFE RIDE A BIKE
    Blur XC black
    Chameleon gray
    Nomad Black
    V10 black
    True North 853

mtbr member
    You can alway make your own for a lot cheaper. I just went to the hardware store got a small hand drill, and some flat headed #6 3/8" screws. Drilled the hole from out in, then hand screwed the screws out. Then cut the valve out of a dead tube, and made one cut along where it makes contact with the rim tape. Tossed a new tube inside the dead tube so there's a layer between the screw heads and the new tube. I have about 150 in my front tire (26x2.1) spread over 4 different lines around my tire, and about 70 in the rear (700x40c) over 2 rows.

And I haven't found the need to switch from my time pedals to flats. Less control in the ice isn't what I want.
    TV sucks, ride your bike!

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Studded tires are a safety must for me.

I ride some roads to my trails. All it takes is one tiny patch of hidden ice in a corner and you go down, and maybe in traffic.

With studs you can lean into a corner on a skating rick.

They help some in snow especially hard pack, like on a trail where lots of people walk.

I ride cleats, for max control all winter, got some shimano winter boats good to -20 C, I have ridden then down to -33 C but only for a short time.