humber river advocate

Stompiní Tom Connors, 1936-2013

Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Living in a rural area in my youth, my parents only had a TV antenna so TV channels were limited. CFTO out of Toronto was one of 4 or 5 stations we received that were clear. I used to dread Saturday night TV in the summer as CFTO seemed to repeat the same 3 Canadian movies; Goin' Down the Road, Rip-Off, and the not to be forgotten Stompin Tom movie 'Across This Land'. It took quite a few years before I appreciated Tom's talent.

RIP Stompin Tom

mtbr member
    Yup, sad to see this.
    My Dads claim-to-fame is getting $hitfaced one night with Tom in North Bay.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thatshowiroll View Post
    My Dads claim-to-fame is getting $hitfaced one night with Tom in North Bay.
    I think a lot of Dads have similar stories. My Dad did a lot of promotional events up north when I was young so I got to meet all sorts of Canadian celebrities from Mr. Dressup to Ronnie Hawkins.

RIP Tom.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sheep in FOX clothing
    A few months ago my boss mentioned we had an upcoming job in Tillsonburg.

Involuntarily, I quietly replied "My back still aches when I hear that word".

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    A few months ago my boss mentioned we had an upcoming job in Tillsonburg.

Involuntarily, I quietly replied "My back still aches when I hear that word".
    How could I forget to post my most loved/hated STC tune! No matter where I go in Canada, this is what I hear when I tell people I grew up in Sudbury.

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

pin it
    LOL I have a dad story too.

My Dad saw Stompin Tom at the Maple Leaf Hotel in Timmins. The story in wikipedia states

"At his last stop in Timmins, Ontario, which may also have been his big "break", he found himself a nickel short of a beer at the city's Maple Leaf Hotel. The bartender, Gaet Lepine, agreed to give Tom a beer if he would play a few songs. These few songs turned into a 13-month contract to play at the hotel, a weekly spot on the CKGB radio station in Timmins, eight 45-RPM recordings, and the end of the beginning for Tom Connors."

My dad remembered that tavern patrons thought his act was strange and funny because he stomped on a board while he sang. But Tom kept packing in the crowds for his gig despite the occasional heckle!

LOL Mudhead- we only had 2 tv channels (french and english CBC) in Timmins and I remember "Across this Land", The Tommy Hunter Show etc
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I think a lot of Dads have similar stories. My Dad did a lot of promotional events up north when I was young so I got to meet all sorts of Canadian celebrities from Mr. Dressup to Ronnie Hawkins.

RIP Tom.
    " I did a few lines of blow with Mr. Dressup." Ya don't hear that too often. : )

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by cyclelicious View Post
    LOL Mudhead- we only had 2 tv channels (french and english CBC) in Timmins and I remember "Across this Land", The Tommy Hunter Show etc
    lol, my Mom tells me I used to dance around the living room like a maniac as a toddler during Don Messer's Jubilee.

mtbr member
    I remember a few years back going to Tillsonburg to watch Stompin Tom... Great concert, he will be missed but never forgotten for sure.
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

pin it
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    lol, my Mom tells me I used to dance around the living room like a maniac as a toddler during Don Messer's Jubilee.

OMG! Don Messer's Jubilee... dying here! For added culture there was Wayne and Schuster, Rainbow Country... that was filmed around Sudbury too.

Hey Stompin Tom recorded a song about Tillsonburg... "My back still aches when I heard that word"

F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have no Stompin Tom stories but I have always been a fan...although I don't think you had to love his music to appreciate that he was a true Canadian hero...

mtbr member
    they were playing Stompin Tom during the hockey game on TV last night that I was boycotting.
    A real Legend
    Team Van Go

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Good memories of listening to Stompin' Tom over the years, watching across this land for the first time so many years ago. RIP Tom

Perpetual Hack
    Guys - lighten up on Tillsonburg - I live here/there...

on second thought - nah - carry on.

michael
    A Dirtbag since 1969.
    A Knomer since 2007.

Knolly Podium V.2
    Knolly Delirium
    Knolly Delirium-T
    RM Slayer . . .

mtbr member
    As a teenager my friend also rode/raced MTB and I caught rides up to some races with him and his father. The only two things I remember about those drives were the total lack of leg room in the back of the Volkswagen Scirroco and Stompin' Tom non-stop on (I guess in a car of that vintage) the tape-deck. I think Mr. Varey mostly thought he was torturing us adolescents with his musical choices, but joke's on him, Stompin Tom was actually pretty badass! Funny this should be posted here because in my mind now Tom and MTBing are completely intertwined. RIP