Thread: stolen bike

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

stolen bike

Fellow cyclists, I need your help...

My ride was stolen from my car this afternoon in Vaudreuil-Dorion (west of Montreal).

Giant Anthem Advanced (carbone) 2007 20" withe and dark blue
    FULL XTR (dual control, wheels and pedals, 160mm (6") front rotor, 140mm (5") rear)
    Race Face seatpost
    Sella Italia seat
    PRO stem and handlebar (scandium stem, carbon bar)
    beige Fox F100X (terralogic)
    Fox RP23
    Shimano stickers on the chainstays
    Grumpy Smurf mounted on the fork (and the smurf is more than grumpy now!!!)

Reward for anyone who finds it

It's a long shot, but it's a pretty rare bike...

thanks for your help!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    damn man...that's a nice bike!

But if it's stolen from your car, couldn't you claim it under your car insurance?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Your home insurance should cover stolen bikes.I'll keep in in mind next time i go out.

Bored
    most bikes are only covered to a certain amount, unless you have a rider on your policy.
    MTBR is serious stuff.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MOAB
    Your home insurance should cover stolen bikes.I'll keep in in mind next time i go out.
    i'm serious here guy. If the bike is under lock and key inside his car (dunno if it was on his rack) someone busted his window and made off with the bike well hey there's a simple policy called fire/theft. Now i'm not sure if theft covers items in the vehicle or the vehicle itself only. It might vary from company to company.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Hey Big_Ring do you have a pic of your bike?

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Imagine this one with XTR pedals, Dual control levers, 5" rotor at the back and PRO stem and bar.
    The fork is beige (Fox F100X)
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by MOAB
    Check your deductable. It may not be worth your time to beg them to cover your loss.

As much as I enjoyed my Brodie Brat, after deductable the hundred some odd dollars would not have paid for the rear Sun SingleTrack wheel I had installed the day before.

Stosh

Best of Luck with the recovery Big_Ring
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

Live Free or Ride!
    I've had my bike stolen b4 and this is how it works, if it was in your car the car insurance will cover it, if it was in your car and on your driveway or in your garage then the home insurance covers it, judging by the fact that it's an Advanced the deductable will be well worth the cost of getting it replaced
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Cycle Solutions
    Quote Originally Posted by Stosh (Canada)
    Check your deductable. It may not be worth your time to beg them to cover your loss.

As much as I enjoyed my Brodie Brat, after deductable the hundred some odd dollars would not have paid for the rear Sun SingleTrack wheel I had installed the day before.

Stosh

Best of Luck with the recovery Big_Ring

We are talking about a $7000 bike here. Man that blows, I just sold my advanced but mine didn't have a 100mm fork so I guess it wasn't my old one. Right thing to do here would be to go through insurance.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiantMartin
    I've had my bike stolen b4 and this is how it works, if it was in your car the car insurance will cover it, if it was in your car and on your driveway or in your garage then the home insurance covers it, judging by the fact that it's an Advanced the deductable will be well worth the cost of getting it replaced
    I have to disagree with you here.

Auto policy doesn't cover contents of the vehicle, your home owners policy might.

I know when your car is stolen, contents like extra CD's, sunglasses and/or anything else you had in the car that aren't part of the car are NOT covered by the auto policy.

Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

Burnt Orange Lives

Wrong!!

how do i know?

well, i had a claim that was covered by my insurance...

Quote Originally Posted by MS MSP
    I have to disagree with you here.

Auto policy doesn't cover contents of the vehicle, your home owners policy might.

I know when your car is stolen, contents like extra CD's, sunglasses and/or anything else you had in the car that aren't part of the car are NOT covered by the auto policy.

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    how do i know?

well, i had a claim that was covered by my insurance...
    It is not supposed to work that way, consider yourself lucky.

The bike would have to be claimed under homeowners insurance, and most policies have a limit of $1000 for bikes.

Perpetual Hack
    Sorry about your ride, had it happen once, not a nice feeling....

Regarding the legalized extortion ...er insurance company...from memory.....

If it is attached to the car - ie amplifier, speakers etc, it is covered under the car policy. If you were using a boom-box, then it is not attached ( held by seatbelt does not count ) so gets covered under your home policy.

Fun things are speaker ( sub ) cabinets. Wired directly to the car, but not bolted in....Car said house, House said car, I said BS - I pay my deductable, not my problem figure it out. ( Car ended up paying )

Now on a hypothetical bent....

If it was on a rack attached and locked to the car is it Home or Car, ...does it matter if it is a "factory" roof rack or aftermarket - the usual arbitrator is; is it permanent? Factory rack yes, aftermarket no...
    que insurance company song and dance.

Either way they will try to wiggle out of it, then you get to buy the bike all over again x 2 or so in higher premiums....

Good Luck

michael

GAME ON!
    insurance is such a scam. what do you pay them money for? so on top of the monthly fee you pay them to supposedly keep your stuff safe, if something actually goes wrong you pay them more money to get back 1/20th of what you lost, then they raise your payments to cover their losses... fantastic.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Person
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by saturnine
    insurance is such a scam. what do you pay them money for?
    You pay them money so that if something big happens you are looked after. You have obviously never had your basement fill with sewage or been injured in a car accident.

Live Free or Ride!
    My bike was stolen outta the back seat, some jerkoff broke the window and got er out. The auto insurance covered eveything, they sid if it had been in the driveway it would have fallen under home insurance
    2007 Giant Anthem 1
    2009 Giant XTC 0

Burnt Orange Lives
    exactly...

mud washes off
    If you bought any of this stuff in the last year with a credit card like Visa, check out their policy. I lost a bike out of my garage 3 weeks after it was bought. Because I used a visa card to buy it, they covered the loss 100%. I needed a police report, and that was about it! Hope this helps.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Specific Insurance for Bikes - Affordable?

Anyone know of a company that provides affordable insurance for Bikes?
    Preferably someone that does not require you to jump through hoops for a claim.
    Since a lot of bikes cost more than some cars, I would assume there is a market.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    It is not supposed to work that way, consider yourself lucky.

The bike would have to be claimed under homeowners insurance, and most policies have a limit of $1000 for bikes.
    I agree, unless you had a seperate rider for the bikes.

I know when I got my condo insurance they asked if I had any items valued at over $3,000

Quote Originally Posted by Baulz
    You pay them money so that if something big happens you are looked after. You have obviously never had your basement fill with sewage or been injured in a car accident.
    bingo.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

Bike insurance..

I'm near toronto.. Few years ago my bike got stolen, right from my back yard. I left it on the bike stand - was washing it, went home to pick up a phone - came out in 5 minutes, and the bike was gone. I called the insurance the next day, since it was sunday when it was stolen, called the police before that and reported it stolen. Insurance just asked me what happened. After taking the report they called me next day saying the deductable is $300 and i should just go pick out a new bike, and send them the recipt. So I ordered some parts from a local store to put together a custom ride. came to about 5 grand.. 2 grand more than my last ride.. They covered it, eaven called me if i am happy with the new ride hehe. Thank's to the guy who stole my ride i got a better one ..

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

Aaah..a victimless crime

Quote Originally Posted by djdirty
    I'm near toronto.. Few years ago my bike got stolen, right from my back yard. I left it on the bike stand - was washing it, went home to pick up a phone - came out in 5 minutes, and the bike was gone. I called the insurance the next day, since it was sunday when it was stolen, called the police before that and reported it stolen. Insurance just asked me what happened. After taking the report they called me next day saying the deductable is $300 and i should just go pick out a new bike, and send them the recipt. So I ordered some parts from a local store to put together a custom ride. came to about 5 grand.. 2 grand more than my last ride.. They covered it, eaven called me if i am happy with the new ride hehe. Thank's to the guy who stole my ride i got a better one ..

like shoplifting or not reporting your income to Revenue Canada. Nicely done.

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have a rider on my house insurance for my bike. The bike is worth $3000 and it cost me about $125 year to cover the bike. Got the specific coverage largely due to travelling on planes with the bike (Europe and California this year )

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I know when I claimed my old De Rosa and Wheeler mtb were snatched together a few years back, my insurance company said that normally with bikes they take off 20% of value per year of ownership (normally), thats if I wanted to cash out. If I wanted new bikes, I needed to go to the store they dealt with, plop down my 500 deduct, and take home the 2 bikes the shop said were comparable. Its too bad I needed the money more than a new bike back then. Make sure you have police report, receipt, and a picture or 2 of you with the bike will help your cause!!

Good luck