Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Evil Jr.

Stick A Fork In It: 2008 Season Wrap-Up

Aside from the Winter WOW (which I do solely in return for chili), my racing season is officially D.U.N.! I expect the same is true for most of you (except the 'cross nuts).

I offer you now a chance to beat your chest and brag at will about what went right this year. (A brief litany of what went wrong might also be instructive/entertaining if you care to share.)

Here's an example of how my year ended vis-a-vis my objectives:

What went right:

Ride 2500 km on my shiny new R3: check!
    Do a 200+km ride: (220 km in 7.5 hours in Prince Edward County) check!
    Race every Tuesday Night: (missed one) partial credit!
    Race every O-Cup: (missed the Provincials) partial credit!
    Solo 24hr: (Silver at Mansfield!) check!
    Solo 8hr: (Bronze at the Fall Epic) check!
    Get *$%#in' faster: (narrowed the gap to my category winner at O-cups from 16 minutes to 7 minutes) partial credit!
    Finish Mixed Crank the Shield with marriage intact: check!

What went wrong:

Leg cramps at Mansfield O-cup (better hydratioin fixed that one).
    Silly tire choice at Kelso O-cup resulting in a flat and a 5 km run to the finish (hello Racing Ralphs!).

2008: A+
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

bi-winning
    I had a good season.

some highlights:

improved endurance with some longer rides.
    podium finish at Hilton Falls TT
    completed first 9h solo. 4th place.
    1st place in Albion series. Missed only the last two, after I moved away from Toronto.
    best ever O-Cup finish, 4th at Buckwallow.
    completed 6/7 O-Cups (Sr. Sport), missing Mansfield due to exams.
    bought a CX bike, and podiumed in first race at Valley Park
    completed 7th consecutive Squeezer.

what went wrong?
    flat at Kelso, though i still finished (not DFL either)
    nasty crash at Solstice, cost me a wheel and a helmet.

no more racing for me this year. no goals for next year. i make goals as i go.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

rad to the power of sick
    These seasons go by waaaay too fast..

Things that went right:
    - Excellent start of the ocup season!
    - Picked up alot of experience this year.
    - Logged the most road mileage in one summer than ever before.
    - Didnt burn out! and really looking forward to training over winter.

Things that weren't so right
    - Overtrained..commuting 176k before an OCup does not bode well.
    - Concussion after Kelso Ocup
    - **** hitting the fan every Ocup after
    - Rain every weekend

Im super stoked for next season though, I think im gonna spring for a coach this winter and see what I can do.

Space for rent...
    I don’t race too often, so my perspective a lot different to most...

Things that went right
    • Ride more than last year (3.5K to date)
    • Enjoy the ride more, rather than just logging miles
    • Completed an epic trip (crossed the Andes by bike)
    • Spent less time cleaning/repairing/tuning bike and riding more (why I love my singlespeed)
    • Bought a new lightweight hard-tail, and fell in love with gears again
    • Lost weight/improved fitness

Things that didn’t go right
    • My bike was stolen
    • Overtraining resulted in multiple injuries (old age is a cruel thing)
    • Summer weather
    • The price of gas meant thinking twice before driving to far-away locations

I love fall riding, so for me the season is far from over. The lights are charged, the weather of late has been awesome, so no excuses for not riding midweek.
    It's only pain......

mtbr member
    The good:
    - Mansfield 8 hour, 5th place, same lap as 2nd - 4th
    - Finished Transrockies
    - Found more trails in the Hamilton area
    - Finished the around the bay Hamilton Endurance MTB ride I designed
    - Learned that I can ride faster, I just need to work for it

The bad:
    - Didn't ride one road century (150 km max)
    - Mechanicals at summer 8 hour
    - Won't hit my goal of > 10,000km
    - Burnt out and bailed on the fall 8 hour

The ugly:
    - 24 solo attempt that left me dead at 6.5 hours
    - DNF provincials

More than a little slow
    Hmm. I didn't have any objectives so I guess I met them all.
    Highlight of the year was chasing first place (40+ solo male) for six plus hours at the end of Solstice. He was a minute and a half ahead of me at the end. That's pretty close, don't ya think?

And Captain, you did look awful sitting there at Solstice, but I still say you've got a brilliant 24 in you. Come out and play again next year, yeah?
    Cheers, Dave

mtbr member
    The good:

- Raced in every O-Cup (which was my goal)
    - Raced solo in 2 EPIC 8 HOUR races (bonus for me)
    - I had no injuries (major bonus)
    - Did it all on the rigid singlespeed bike (brownie points)

The bad:

- Too much rain and mud for my liking.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    I had a mixed season. some great results mixed with crap. Learned alot about what my body will take and what it most defintely won't.

I think the dnf results were equal to the time spent on the podium.

Oh as for the cross nut's, I tried it and it's fun. I'll be at the Barrie cross.

Let's hope they don't cancel the W.O.W.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    Aside from the Winter WOW (which I do solely in return for chili), my racing season is officially D.U.N.! I expect the same is true for most of you (except the 'cross nuts).

I offer you now a chance to beat your chest and brag at will about what went right this year. (A brief litany of what went wrong might also be instructive/entertaining if you care to share.)

Here's an example of how my year ended vis-a-vis my objectives:

What went right:

Ride 2500 km on my shiny new R3: check!
    Do a 200+km ride: (220 km in 7.5 hours in Prince Edward County) check!
    Race every Tuesday Night: (missed one) partial credit!
    Race every O-Cup: (missed the Provincials) partial credit!
    Solo 24hr: (Silver at Mansfield!) check!
    Solo 8hr: (Bronze at the Fall Epic) check!
    Get *$%#in' faster: (narrowed the gap to my category winner at O-cups from 16 minutes to 7 minutes) partial credit!
    Finish Mixed Crank the Shield with marriage intact: check!

What went wrong:

Leg cramps at Mansfield O-cup (better hydratioin fixed that one).
    Silly tire choice at Kelso O-cup resulting in a flat and a 5 km run to the finish (hello Racing Ralphs!).

2008: A+
    Great thread Monster. Good to chat with you during the first couple of km of CTS too.

For me...First the Good

-Started off the season in the best shape, save for my weight, of my mtb citizen career
    -Finished with my best result in the Tues Night Albion series in 4th in my category (30-39 Male)
    -Third Place at the Spring Epic in the 3-4 person Age Group cat
    -Third Place at the Summer Solstice in the 6-10 club company
    -Finish tenth in my only OCUP of the season in the very competitive 35-39 Sport male category
    -Training for Crank the Shield with a wife expecting twins the weekend of the race, with her insistent support that I do the race.
    -Making through the entire race season with an uncomfortably pregnant wife supporting my riding endeavors and not missing any planned events.
    -Finishing Crank the Shield without any mechanicals or injuries.
    -Overall, I was definitely faster than last season.
    -Building a new FS race rig right now to my specs...Hope to ride next week.

Now the bad...
    -Poor nutrition all season long due to a pregnant wife. Not her fault, but I have no willpower sharing...
    -My first serious crash in some time at the Solstice that hobbled a knee for a month following
    -Finishing the Solstice in third when we could have challenged for first save for some negligence in our bike maintenance and at transition.
    -Trying to train in the ridiculous weather we had...Riding in the rain a few times just to ride.
    -Feeling like the season has come and gone faster than ever because the summer was a pile of crap.
    -Preparing for a winter training season, yikes.

Overall a good season. Enjoying meeting some new folks and riding with some of the same buds as always. Already planning for next year where I can be more focused...

Cheers,

N.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

All my faucets is Moen.
    Wow, such big races for everyone. Nice job all around. Congrats on the success.

I had a great year and learned a heck of a lot. In fact I lined up for my first race ever. But I guess the biggest success was dropping 20lbs and quiting smoking which was so easy when you just want to be able to ride faster and further.

I guess next year I'm looking forward Paul's Dirty (I want a do-over so bad) and lining up at a few 8 or 24hrs with y'all.

Oh, some race results? Pretty average but I loved every minute of it.

-Lake 2 Lake: 336th (2hr 50+min)
    -Wednesday Series (8x12): 99th
    -Paul's Dirty (60k): 74th (5hr 28min)
    -Squeezer: 235th (1hr 36min)

The bad was only a broken chain in the 2nd 8x12. I've been lucky.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    The season ended?
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

veldrijder
    2008 was great for me - or rather IS, since I'm not done (cross will take me to the end of November).

The good:
    - first serious season of racing
    - dropped 23 kg in the last 12 months, and not finished. Race weight next year should be somewhere around 82-83 kg down from 112-115 last autumn.
    - a sweet new XC race machine!
    - a couple 4th place team results at enduros (Lifestyles 24h, Spring 8h). We'll be shooting for the podium at Lifestyles next year.
    - tried lots of race formats (team 24h, team 8h, tag 8h, O-cup, endurance length XC, road, cyclocross) to find out where my strengths lie
    - put in lots of road km from January to July-ish, including some centuries and one 220+km ride.
    - CptSydor's Hamilton ride is worth a mention in the area of endurance too. Major bonk on that one, but I recovered after a refueling stop.
    - huge improvement in the University Cup series, which is the only direct comparison I can make to last year
    - 5th in my age cat. for the 30k at Paul's Dirty Enduro. Next year I'll probably do the 60k and hopefully do well again.
    - started CX racing, and hoping to continue gaining experience for the remainder of the season
    - lots of new friends made through racing

The bad:
    - calf injury in the beginning of the year that seemed to go on forever
    - DNF at Paris-Ancaster due to a couple flats - and the race was going very well for me. I will be back!
    - DNF at the Icebreaker and Gear Grinder enduros - tough courses, poor nutrition and all around bad preparation. I will pass on these events next year but possibly return to the enduro format later.
    - poor weather all summer resulting in lots of chain and brake pad wear
    - a bit of burnout in the late summer, but with a proper transition fall races and CX are going well
    - back pain due to a number of factors, with solutions only in the long term

Looking toward next year:
    - more structured training
    - clearer idea of what events to race and what results to shoot for

Of course next season is really just a continuation of this one. A bit of a rest and a transition into base and cross-training will be the only interruption. I love not getting lazy in the "off-season"
    Last edited by jmoote; 10-07-2008 at 07:30 PM.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    The season ended?
    racing season is wrapped up, with the exception of cross. riding season goes on though. don't worry.

oh, and jmoote.... Complaining about brake pad wear? Seriously?
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    oh, and jmoote.... Complaining about brake pad wear? Seriously?
    hah, well I'm not upset about it, but it was a sloppy year One muddy race burns through a set pretty quick though, and that's $50 to replace front and rear. Maybe I should try another brand that's a little more economical.

What can I say - when it comes to mtb, I'm a wuss about wet conditions (cross and road are fine in the rain). It's better for both the trails and the bike, but on race-day you deal with whatever you get

Space for rent...
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    $50 to replace front and rear.
    $50...you need to talk to this guy

http://stores.ebay.com/International...isc-Brake-Pads
    It's only pain......

dirt roadie
    My list is not so impressive but I would say overall I had a good season.

The good:
    - Top 50 (if 50th counts ) in points in the L!B 8x12 series (improvement of 31 positions).
    - Finished way better than I expected in the Squeezer (112th, improvement of 318 positions)
    - Did over 100km ride on road for the first time in 10+ years, as part of the Pedal 100 for Heart & Stroke
    - Bought a super sweet carbon fibre road bike
    - Did not kill or otherwise cause major bodily harm to self by falling off a cliff or something
    - Met a few new friends
    - Had lots of fun!

The bad:
    - Summer never happened
    - Did not race as much as I should have
    - Fell on sidewalk and bruised ribs, cracked helmet, went to race anyways but collapsed in pain halfway through (I did finish though)
    - More riding on-road than off (not so bad really?)
    - Race season is over

Next year:
    - Improve endurance
    - More racing, group rides, at least one O-Cup, and a criterium or two
    Last edited by zedfoto; 10-07-2008 at 08:07 PM.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by SSteve F
    $50...you need to talk to this guy
    I tried those pads - wasn't impressed with the compound.

mtbr member
    Official 2008 XC Ontario Cup Hype Thread

My own season did not go the way of my cocky predictions. As a matter of fact, my Ocup season for the most part did not exist, as I only raced #1 and #2. A couple of ill timed colds/fevers kept me out of a couple of races; sloth and aversion to inclement weather out of others.

My prediction for the Icebreaker was close, I won the sprint (chase?) for 2nd on a fixed CX bike well behind a very speedy Jacob McClelland.

Raced Mansfield in expert on an SS, and exploded excruciatingly close to the finish. Finished midpack.

Raced Albion 1x9, had a great race, no cramping, finished 8th (actually 9th because somebody in front of me was DQd for somethink petty).

Sick before the CC.

Too lazy for Kelso (don't fare well in the heat)

Solstice was awesome. Captained 3rd place in the 100-149 behind Supa and co. and Tall Tree. Our team was totally hacked together at the last second, comprised of myself, Matt Prosser, Martin the Dane, Ashley Barson and Brooklyn 'the Thong Guy'. I barely snuck in the top 10 after the 1st lap which was a bonus (w/o a preride!).

Ummmmmm, then what.......lots of medium paced riding through the Don, and Albion Tuesday nighters to convince myself that I hadn't quit racing! I actually rode very well there, and found that it provided a great level of competition with a relaxed atmosphere, not to mention proximity to home and cheap entry fees. (You can send that cheque to my home address Sean)

I almost rode Buckwallow. Really I did. I even went to the Thurs. nighter to prerace the course. Except that we raced another course because they wanted to "preserve the trails" for the Ocup. We all know how that went. Well, I don't know first hand, because I was asleep in my comfy, comfy bed.

Provincials. Sick again.

Cowbells CX race: cyclocross is fun! 3rd in S3/4, which I considered borderline sandbagging before I didn't win. Will try SS this weekend in the same cat, and see how that goes.

So, this season was really a mixed bag. I cannot say I am disappointed because a) I have stuck with it and have not smoked a cigarette in over 6 months, and b) I now know that not smoking on its own is not a substitute for training! While I have definitely felt some gains I realize that more saddle time is going to be the only way to take it to the next level. A level to which I am not sure I wish to ascend; I hear those guys use heart rate monitors and ride road bikes

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Hey Everyone,

Well I thought I’d chime in with a wrap up of the 2008 season that I had.
    Training started early in January by hitting the hamster wheel.

Races:
    April 5 – Tour of Pelham
    April 13 – Uxbridge Ice-Breaker
    May 14 – L!B 8x12 Race #1
    May 24 – Opus Spring Epic 8hr
    May 28 – L!B 8x12 Race #2
    June 11 – L!B 8x12 Race #3
    June 15 – Lake to Lake
    June 21-22 – Summer Solstice 24hr
    July 27 – 6 Hours of Power
    August 6 – L!B 8x12 Race #7
    August 20 – L!B 8x12 Race #8
    August 23-34 – Hot August Nights 24hr
    September 19-21 – Crank the Shield
    October 4 – WNYMBRO's NCKRS Race #4

The Good:
    • Lake to Lake. Had my best Lake to Lake ever. Felt strong and finish with a personal best.
    • Hot August Nights the best 24hr race yet, just awesome.
    • Finishing the Crank the Shield (Chico has another classic on their hands here). Crossing that finish line at the end of Stage Three was very rewarding.

The Bad:
    • The horrible mud bogs during the Crank the Shield. Day Two was the hardest day I have ever had on a bike.
    • Missing the L!B Squeezer because of post–CTS issues, a body and bike that were nowhere near race condition yet.

The Ugly:
    • DNF at the 6 Hours of Power from severe knee pain in both my knees.
    • Riding 3 stages of the Crank the Shield with the same damn knee pain as above.
    • DNF (mechanical – broken X0 Shifter Pod) at WNYMBRO’s NCKRS Race#4

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    This season was much better performance wise for me than last season. I definitely noticed some performance increases from all the winter training riding at Hilton Falls and such.

The good:

Completing the Jay Winter Challenge in Vermont (this was pretty tough mentally), 30 miler in the snow. Performance was nothing to write home about but it would have been so easy to give up.

Tour of Pelham: Again, performance was not amazing, but I did it on 3 hours of sleep, on 42:16 gearing, thanks to some CX tires jmoote lent me. Just to finish and not cramp up was a great feeling. The air was so fresh, one of my most memorable races.

Trip to Fruita in Moab. Crossing two destinations off my MTB bucketlist. What an amazing place to ride. Did around 400 or so km down there and rode the entire Kokopelli Trail. I'd go back in a New York Minute.

Did my first few OCUP's this year. Haven't done too many but on my second OCUP I had my best finish so far with 4th place at Kelso in the SS category. Missed a few OCUP's too, which I somewhat regret, but it was all in favour of more riding, which I'm sure will pay off.

Picked up a road bike, and started doing some road training. Nogears and I did some pretty good rides that left me resorting to post ride naps.

Doing all the 8 hours solo. Podium for Silver at the Fall 8 Hour.

Completing my first 24 Hour Solo at Mansfield. Slept a little but still did well, a tie for 3rd.

First in the SS category at the Albion Tuesday night series, although in all fairness it could just as easily been Peter. Rather than the final outcome I was more so just happy to see my performance improve from my back-of-the-pack finishes from last year.

Gear Grinder, never did an enduro at this intensity and was quite happy with 2 laps within seconds of eachother (for two 30 or so km loops).

Finally did Paul's Dirty Enduro on the 100 km route. Finish was top ten. Looking forward to doing it again next year with a better idea of what to expect.

Finally got a CX bike and I am going to try a few CX races (and get my ass handed to me!)

The Bad:

Paris to Ancaster, definitely not my favorite race. Gearing on my SS was off. Lots of cramps. Cramps that continued into a post-race gorge into wings and fries.

Overall nutrition. Still needs tons of work. I seemed to have a better grip on it for the solo races, but my every day eating needs to improve. Ex: yesterday I feasted on Sweet Chili Heat Doritos and Lemonade.

24 Hours of Summer Solstice: Misfit Dance Party was awesome, but I still somewhat regret taking part in the "sleep party" and slacking off during the night. Still rode over 100km. Definitely a fun time though.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I'm in such a slump now that the season is over for me. Didn't race half as much as I wanted to.

Highlights of my season:

Second place at Spring 8 hour solo
    First place at Summer 8 hour solo
    Second place at my first attempted 24 hour solo
    Second place at Crank the Sheild with my partner

Crappy things this season:

My knees are trashed

While my endurance was awesome throughout the season, I feel like I actually got slower this year
    Last edited by racergurl; 10-08-2008 at 11:59 AM.
    High on Life

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil
    The season ended?
    Yeh, I'm with you. I continue to ride all winter long, as long as the snow does not pile up too high. This includes some night riding on weeknights.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I entered this summer with really only one season of XC racing under my belt at the young age of 43. I trained more, harder and with some structure than I had done since high school, in hopes of avoiding total embarrassment and eventual death at Crank The Shield. I bought a new bike, as any middle-age-crisis-inflicted guy would, hoping to find speed in a cardboard box. If it works for Christoph Sauser, it must work for me.

I once again started the season with the P2A race and felt that I should be able to finish under 2:30:00 with the winter/spring training under my belt. This was my only race this summer on the hardtail. Results: lack of technical terrain masked my shortcomings.
    Paris-Ancaster - 49th (men 40-49) 2:18:21

I committed myself to racing on Tuesday nights again this summer and set myself an objective of a top 10 finish each week and a top 8 finish for the season. Results: satisfactorily semi-pleasing.
    Superfly Tuesday Night Series - 5th (men 40-49)

I wanted to do a few 24h and 8h races this summer, having never taken part in these before and I'm not getting any younger. For some reason, I was allowed to join the ranks of Team Nucking Futs after passing the mandatory doping tests. Results: exceeded all of my expectations.
    24h Rich & Famous - 3rd (5 person 200-249)
    24h Summer Solstice - missed due to moving
    24h Hot August Nights - 3rd (5 person 200-249)
    Spring 8h at Mansfield - 4th (4 person 160-199)
    Summer 8h at Hardwood - 3rd (4 person 160-199)
    Fall 8h at Hardwood - missed due to family vacation

I had planned to do all of the O-Cup events, but the mid-summer move and a late season injury caused this plan to change slightly. I was relatively happy with my results but my sub-mediocre technical abilities were harder to mask at places like Kelso. Results: more training required, rinse and repeat in 2009.
    O-Cup #1, Mansfield - 17th (40-44 Sport)
    O-Cup #2, Albion - 16th (40-44 Sport)
    O-Cup#4, Kelso - 13th (40-44 Sport)
    O-Cup #5, Boler - 14th (40-44 Sport)

When Chico announced CTS last fall, I decided that I would not miss this event without thinking further into what I had signed up for. Thankfully the winter training volume was significant (thanks to NHL Centre Ice) and spring/summer road training volume was good (thanks Neil). I entered CTS with one objective in mind - to finish the race. Results: objective achieved, will have re-up for 2009.
    Crank The Shield - 20th (men 40+ solo)

I have not sat on a bicycle saddle since the last metres of CTS, but I finally finished cleaning/prepping the Epic for riding yesterday. The next few weeks I'll ride a bit here and there as I find convenient and in hopes of retaining some conditioning for the Winter WOW. I am even looking forward to getting back on the trainer starting around Christmas to watch some hockey. At over $30/month, I have to get my money's worth out of NHL Centre Ice...
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Very happy with how this season went!
    After some health problems in the spring which derailed my early season training (and led to me getting absolutely DEMOLISHED at the first O-CUP), I have enjoyed great luck and improvement.

Highlights:
    • 32 races – 23 mountain, 9 road. 0 DNFs! Only 1 mechanical – a flat on a night lap during the Summer Solstice, which cost my team only 8 minutes.
    • First ever 24 hour race (on a 5 man team)
    • Tried Cyclocross yesterday for first time! Riding on off camber, wet grass, with skinny tires ain’t so easy!
    • Meeting lots and lots of people through riding and racing.
    • 3 podiums – OCUP, UCUP, and tag team 9 hour relay.
    • Technical skills. Over this season, I’ve managed to improve my technical riding from a weakness to an advantage over other riders.
    • Surviving the Midweek “elite” crit – 44km/hr average speed for an hour!
    • Managed to ride/train throughout summer despite very time consuming/stressful summer job.
    • Picking up an outstanding race machine – Giant Anthem – this season. Not only does it handle phenomenally, come with a good component spec, but it also fits me like a glove!
    Not so good:
    • Lack of core training and hereditary posture issues prevent me from riding for long periods of time. Solutions only long term ..
    • OCUP #1, Mansfield. Not only was I out of shape, but I also managed to miss the start by 3 minutes!
    • Perform very poorly in wet/rainy conditions. Just not a big fan of the muck.
    • Overreached SLIGHTLY this season - haven't had more than 5 days off the bike since Mid-March.

veldrijder
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmytro
    Not so good:
    • Lack of core training and hereditary posture issues prevent me from riding for long periods of time. Solutions only long term ..
    • Perform very poorly in wet/rainy conditions. Just not a big fan of the muck.
    • Overreached SLIGHTLY this season - haven't had more than 5 days off the bike since Mid-March.
    Hey Dmytro - sounds like we have lots of stuff in common on the "not so good" list (except you're a lot faster than me ). I hope you've got a good idea about what to do with your posture issues. I'm working with some good sports medicine personnel right now for my back pain/lack of core strength.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast