Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Steaming Nostril

Cycle Waterloo Steaming Nostril

This race looks interesting.

For me, it was a no-brainer to enter. I grew up riding on these gravel roads, so it is a bit of a hometown race for me. And it will be a good early season tune up, falling a few short weeks ahead of P2A.

Now let's start talking tires...
    Last edited by smarty; 01-24-2013 at 12:06 PM. Reason: typo

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    Cycle Waterloo Steaming Nostril
    Now let's start talking tires...
    With a name like Steaming Nostril, I can't really resist.
    This will probably replace Hell of the North for me. While it was awesome, it was a little too much hell for me that early in the season.

I plan to use skinny tires, but not too skinny.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Cold.... miserable.... March.... death ride.

I'm in.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    My big worry, that might be a quintessential weekend for the Tour De Buttertart.

I guess if enough of us sign up for the Nostril, Garage Monster would have no choice but to make it the 16/17th

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    My big worry, that might be a quintessential weekend for the Tour De Buttertart.

I guess if enough of us sign up for the Nostril, Garage Monster would have no choice but to make it the 16/17th
    Ya, I usually try to get Buttertart done prior to Good Friday and Easter is early this year!

(There will be a completely new course for the Good Friday Road Race - Road O-Cup #1 this year, BTW. Ancaster, here we come! )
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am in for this. Good warm up for P2A...and for Buttertart.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

what is farm road and dirt road.

with over half the race on farm or dirt road, does that include some of that farmers field where you sink down an inch and a half and pray for a lightning strike to end the misery.
    Or is it just dirt road?
    thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ol-crank View Post
    with over half the race on farm or dirt road, does that include some of that farmers field where you sink down an inch and a half and pray for a lightning strike to end the misery.
    Or is it just dirt road?
    thanks
    I am guessing it's as you describe, or slick as heck double track with monster tractor tire ruts. Or maybe a combination of both. But since they note you need an MTB, CX or beefed up hybrid and distinguish farm and dirt roads, I am sure they are not the same. (if it was straight dirt and paved roads you could do it on a road bike. People were doing that on he'll of the north last year)

Its probably a bunch of unopend access or private roads that could be in any condition, from grassy paths through the woods, to the dreaded fields of life sucky misery. Sounds great!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

"Great indeed" anyway I'm in and hope for good weather

I am guessing it's as you describe, or slick as heck double track with monster tractor tire ruts. Or maybe a combination of both. But since they note you need an MTB, CX or beefed up hybrid and distinguish farm and dirt roads, I am sure they are not the same. (if it was straight dirt and paved roads you could do it on a road bike. People were doing that on he'll of the north last year)

Its probably a bunch of unopend access or private roads that could be in any condition, from grassy paths through the woods, to the dreaded fields of life sucky misery. Sounds great!
    see you there

mtbr member
    Being so close to home I couldn't resist signing up. Usually signing up for events like this means a long early morning drive!

I Strava Hamburgers
    Clyde peloton!
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    this, good Friday and Hell of the North looks like a very appealing spring tune up racing block.

Two months, cant wait

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Gee...sounds more like the requirements for a Gravel Grinder.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Clyde peloton!
    Haha, sounds like a plan!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Gee...sounds more like the requirements for a Gravel Grinder.
    I ain't as smart as they come, but a gravel grinder might take place on gravel roads.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I ain't as smart as they come, but a gravel grinder might take place on gravel roads.
    Not completely on gravel roads. Judging from some of the pics I have seen. The Minimal Maintneance Roads some look like quad track.

mtbr member
    Damn, this is really tempting as an early season fitness test. Unless you're a cold weather wussy like me. The body can't take the cold, but the idea of doing this is very attractive. I will continue taking my HTFU pills for the next couple of months and perhaps register day of.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister View Post
    Damn, this is really tempting as an early season fitness test. Unless you're a cold weather wussy like me. The body can't take the cold, but the idea of doing this is very attractive. I will continue taking my HTFU pills for the next couple of months and perhaps register day of.
    If it helps, you can take strength from your post signature (ie a bad day on the bike etc etc etc....)
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Signed up!

Over the bars...
    Signed up, rode with a group out in that area-ish a couple weeks back... Sounds like a bit of everything may be thrown in...

mtbr member
    Signed up yesterday! Excited.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Just signed up for this one. Deciding to use the singlespeed may turn out to be a mistake, but if I'm going to suffer anyway...

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

does anybody know if there is any seriouis climbiing? I want to set up almost like

my road gearing, but if there is some steep climbs I will put on a 12/34 cassette or so.

mtbr member
    I can't believe nobody is discussing tires yet! I'm not from the area and am all signed up. What's the word from people who know the terrain? Mountain bike tires or knobby 'cross tires.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    I can't believe nobody is discussing tires yet! I'm not from the area and am all signed up. What's the word from people who know the terrain? Mountain bike tires or knobby 'cross tires.
    I'll be running my 'cross bike, so it'll either be Mud2 or Conti Race Kings, depending on the expected mud:gravel ratio. I have no idea about the terrain though, just winging it!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast