Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Steaming Nostril

8K views 88 replies 20 participants last post by  serious 
#1 · (Edited)
Cycle Waterloo - Steaming Nostril

This race looks interesting.

For me, it was a no-brainer to enter. I grew up riding on these gravel roads, so it is a bit of a hometown race for me. And it will be a good early season tune up, falling a few short weeks ahead of P2A.

Now let's start talking tires...

#5 ·
My big worry, that might be a quintessential weekend for the Tour De Buttertart.

I guess if enough of us sign up for the Nostril, Garage Monster would have no choice but to make it the 16/17th
Ya, I usually try to get Buttertart done prior to Good Friday and Easter is early this year! :eek:

(There will be a completely new course for the Good Friday Road Race - Road O-Cup #1 this year, BTW. Ancaster, here we come! :))

#8 ·
with over half the race on farm or dirt road, does that include some of that farmers field where you sink down an inch and a half and pray for a lightning strike to end the misery.
Or is it just dirt road?
thanks
I am guessing it's as you describe, or slick as heck double track with monster tractor tire ruts. Or maybe a combination of both. But since they note you need an MTB, CX or beefed up hybrid and distinguish farm and dirt roads, I am sure they are not the same. (if it was straight dirt and paved roads you could do it on a road bike. People were doing that on he'll of the north last year)

Its probably a bunch of unopend access or private roads that could be in any condition, from grassy paths through the woods, to the dreaded fields of life sucky misery. Sounds great!

#28 ·
It sounds like at a minimum it will be pretty muddy and soft. I'm wondering if there will be rocky fast sections requiring high volume tires.

Does anyone know why they aren't releasing a course map? Because its on private property maybe? I'll be coming down and staying with the in-laws that weekend and was hoping to pre-ride so I know what I'm getting myself into!

#29 ·
Does anyone know why they aren't releasing a course map? Because its on private property maybe? I'll be coming down and staying with the in-laws that weekend and was hoping to pre-ride so I know what I'm getting myself into!
Watch this guy. Never races (or so he says... ;)) but nearly tore everyone's legs off at Crank the Shield a couple of years ago, aside from the Zandstra / Watson / Glassford types.

#30 ·
Hey whoa! I have actually raced quite a bit over the last couple of years - I haven't raced a mtn bike since crank a couple of years ago though.

I'm really digg'in these gravel races and cx events. I love all the new spring classic events popping up - nice change.

#36 ·
I understand from their website that the route won't be published in advance of the race, but I suspect that we will be spending a bunch of time on gravel roads in and around Wellesley township (the farming area to the southwest of Elmira). There are lots of rollers there, and a few leg breakers, but some flat areas as well. I can't imagine a race there that would not send us up Hawkesville Hill.

As always, though, the best advice (IMHO) for a race like this is to go for steep gearing, and walk the hills if necessary. SS races aren't won on the hills - they are won everywhere else.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.