Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I Strava Hamburgers
    Clement X'Plor MSO's. Testing them before P2A. If I like em, I'll keep em, otherwise I'll go to Schwalbe Sammy Slicks.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member

Re: Steaming Nostril

Schwalbe cx comp for me. Its my only option so they better be good for the course!

mtbr member
    It sounds like at a minimum it will be pretty muddy and soft. I'm wondering if there will be rocky fast sections requiring high volume tires.

Does anyone know why they aren't releasing a course map? Because its on private property maybe? I'll be coming down and staying with the in-laws that weekend and was hoping to pre-ride so I know what I'm getting myself into!

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Overkill View Post
    Does anyone know why they aren't releasing a course map? Because its on private property maybe? I'll be coming down and staying with the in-laws that weekend and was hoping to pre-ride so I know what I'm getting myself into!
    Watch this guy. Never races (or so he says... ) but nearly tore everyone's legs off at Crank the Shield a couple of years ago, aside from the Zandstra / Watson / Glassford types.

mtbr member
    Hey whoa! I have actually raced quite a bit over the last couple of years - I haven't raced a mtn bike since crank a couple of years ago though.

I'm really digg'in these gravel races and cx events. I love all the new spring classic events popping up - nice change.

No. Just No. Moderator
    I have actually raced quite a bit over the last couple of years
    I guess that means double watch this guy! Just kidding you Iain. You were fun to have around at CTS.

mtbr member
    Hey, where is my green teammate VVagabond? Doesn't she hang around these parts. She must know something about these roads.

I Strava Hamburgers
    I'm really digg'in these gravel races and cx events. I love all the new spring classic events popping up - nice change.
    Agree, hope more pop up
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

That's not a W
    Jul 2008
    Hey, where is my green teammate VVagabond? Doesn't she hang around these parts. She must know something about these roads.
    I am late in responding and we probably won't see Overkill around here for a while, but for the record, I have no inside information at all on these roads. Wish I did!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Anyone have advice on SS gearing for this one? My 'cross bike race setup is 42:18, but I may have a 16 tooth freewheel kicking around... I have never ridden in that area, so don't have any sense of hillyness!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikingnerd View Post
    Anyone have advice on SS gearing for this one? My 'cross bike race setup is 42:18, but I may have a 16 tooth freewheel kicking around... I have never ridden in that area, so don't have any sense of hillyness!
    I understand from their website that the route won't be published in advance of the race, but I suspect that we will be spending a bunch of time on gravel roads in and around Wellesley township (the farming area to the southwest of Elmira). There are lots of rollers there, and a few leg breakers, but some flat areas as well. I can't imagine a race there that would not send us up Hawkesville Hill.

As always, though, the best advice (IMHO) for a race like this is to go for steep gearing, and walk the hills if necessary. SS races aren't won on the hills - they are won everywhere else.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I'll be doing it on a brakeless fixed gear track bike

48/16 gearing for me.

Is there a singlespeed class?

I Strava Hamburgers
    funny fail....

Good luck with the fixie... thats going to be crazy.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broadwayline View Post
    I'll be doing it on a brakeless fixed gear track bike

48/16 gearing for me.

Is there a singlespeed class?

But you may want to check with the organizers about going sans brakes. And let me know what you look like, cause I don't want to be anywhere near you.

Speedhub doc.

48 x 16, baa, brakesless...

try 100 x 16, works betterSteaming Nostril-255249_343615665724224_1203185763_n.jpg
    Vern Dog the Bike Guy

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    But you may want to check with the organizers about going sans brakes. And let me know what you look like, cause I don't want to be anywhere near you.
    You won't miss me - all black with 88mm carbo tubulars and a dugast up front

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    I understand from their website that the route won't be published in advance of the race, but I suspect that we will be spending a bunch of time on gravel roads in and around Wellesley township (the farming area to the southwest of Elmira). There are lots of rollers there, and a few leg breakers, but some flat areas as well. I can't imagine a race there that would not send us up Hawkesville Hill.

As always, though, the best advice (IMHO) for a race like this is to go for steep gearing, and walk the hills if necessary. SS races aren't won on the hills - they are won everywhere else.
    Thanks for the advice - pretty much what I figured. I certainly end up spinning like a hamster on the flats in 'cross races with 42:18...

mtbr member
    You won't miss me - all black with 88mm carbo tubulars and a dugast up front
    I am really curious. Are you allowed to race that way? Not that I question your ability to handle a brakeless fixie, I am curious how that will integrate into a pack of racers in a mixed surface situation.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I am really curious. Are you allowed to race that way? Not that I question your ability to handle a brakeless fixie, I am curious how that will integrate into a pack of racers in a mixed surface situation.
    I don't see it being an issue - it's not much different than an average coaster brake. To be honest I have a bit more braking power than I do with my CX bike once the rims get muddy / wet with cantilevers (wish I had discs!).

From what I understand it's more of a CX road ride / gravel grinder than a MTB race so there shouldn't be a need for massive braking power or I wouldn't even consider trying it, especially if it interfered with other riders.

My only issue would be if there was a massive descent similar to the rattler or some of the hills near Kelso / Ancaster, I wouldn't even consider that - but Elmira is pretty flat...

I ride fixed/brakeless on mellow single track trails / do century rides for kicks on it and have never had issues riding in packs on 40-60k road rides at 33-35km/h averages.

You can still brake and stop controllably, you just can't lock up the brakes and blast through a tight dirt trail corner like you could on a rim / disc braked bike, you have to go slower and 'flow' through it more / judge your speed based on what's further ahead.

Over the bars...
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Agree, hope more pop up
    Very late to respond to this one, but Thats What She Said....
    Last edited by egggman; 03-16-2013 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typo

Evil Jr.
    I don't see it being an issue - it's not much different than an average coaster brake. To be honest I have a bit more braking power than I do with my CX bike once the rims get muddy / wet with cantilevers (wish I had discs!).

From what I understand it's more of a CX road ride / gravel grinder than a MTB race so there shouldn't be a need for massive braking power or I wouldn't even consider trying it, especially if it interfered with other riders.

My only issue would be if there was a massive descent similar to the rattler or some of the hills near Kelso / Ancaster, I wouldn't even consider that - but Elmira is pretty flat...

I ride fixed/brakeless on mellow single track trails / do century rides for kicks on it and have never had issues riding in packs on 40-60k road rides at 33-35km/h averages.

You can still brake and stop controllably, you just can't lock up the brakes and blast through a tight dirt trail corner like you could on a rim / disc braked bike, you have to go slower and 'flow' through it more / judge your speed based on what's further ahead.

Not to be all "Debbie Downer" but the race is sanctioned by the OCA and is likely subject to UCI rules and as I just happen to have my rule book on my desk, I quote it thusly:

1.3.025 [...] For races on the road and cyclo-cross, the use of fixed sprocket is forbidden: a braking system that acts on both wheels is required.
    By all means, bring the bike but it might be a good idea to bring a back-up bike just in case they stick to the rules.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Does it have any rules regarding Unicycles?

I'm seriously asking.... stop laughing at me.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Not to be all "Debbie Downer" but the race is sanctioned by the OCA and is likely subject to UCI rules and as I just happen to have my rule book on my desk, I quote it thusly:

By all means, bring the bike but it might be a good idea to bring a back-up bike just in case they stick to the rules.
    Ahhhhh that's good information for me, but lame news!

I'll bring my cross bike too just in case, but then I'll have to actually race

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Does it have any rules regarding Unicycles?

I'm seriously asking.... stop laughing at me.
    Not that I'm aware of. The whole equipment section presumes that the racer is riding a "standard" bicycle (as opposed to say a recumbent).

There might be some unicycle racing federation somewhere that defines acceptable equipment and regulates the type of clown pants you are allowed to wear but that appears to be outside the UCI's purview.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Back when they had the Eastern Challenge there was a guy from Ottawa I believe racing a CX bike with fixed gears. Though he had rim brakes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I would think running rim brakes would help. But then of course that depends how anal the race official is when it comes to the rules.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast