Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Stans Wheelset - $300 Shipping to Canada?

Was contemplating a Stans ZTR wheelset, and ran the shipping estimator on their site. It threw out "max of $300"!

Figured it was an error (or would get more specific) when I advanced through the PayPal checkout. Nope, showing final total with $300 shipping.

I know for a fact that wheelsets can ship from the US for ~$90 with full tracking.

Anyone come across this, or bought from Stans?

mtbr member
    BTW, I'm not in Nunavut or anything - I'm in the GTA.

Chicken or egg? Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post
    BTW, I'm not in Nunavut or anything - I'm in the GTA.
    Larger volume boxes can be expensive to ship due to "dimensional weight", especially if the service type is air/priority (ground not so much, but then you will usually be hit with the brokerage side). Why not contact Notubes by phone or email and see what they have to say? Could easily be a web site glitch in the shipping cost calc. Not that errors have ever occurred on web sites before, but there's a first time for everything.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Larger volume boxes can be expensive to ship due to "dimensional weight", especially if the service type is air/priority (ground not so much, but then you will usually be hit with the brokerage side). Why not contact Notubes by phone or email and see what they have to say? Could easily be a web site glitch in the shipping cost calc. Not that errors have ever occurred on web sites before, but there's a first time for everything.
    Agreed, larger dimension (even if ultralight) will hurt you for the shipping, but with that in mind it should be in the $90 range. That said, that would not be expedited and I would be dinged with duty, etc.

I have a mail out to Notubes - will update when I hear back.

Dorkimus Prime
    I've shipped wheelsets from Chain Reaction (across the Atlantic) for free! Paying for shipping is tough to swallow.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I bought a set of Hope/Stans wheels from Wiggle (UK), and like Biggie, shipping was free. The total cost of the wheelset wasn't all that much more than the shipping being quoted by Stans.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Get it shipped into Niagara Falls NY and pick it up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    Great option if shipping to US is cheaper than Canada. I have shipped many car parts and some bike parts to the CBI warehouse there for pick up. Never had an issue with it. Great service to use especially if companies won't ship certain products to Canada.

sore member
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Why not contact Notubes by phone or email and see what they have to say?
    I've emailed them before about their high shipping costs and also asked about the possibility of shipping via USPS instead of UPS. They told me to go through my LBS.

Order through Chain Reaction Cycles. The price will be about the same and shipping is free.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bomber495 View Post
    Great option if shipping to US is cheaper than Canada. I have shipped many car parts and some bike parts to the CBI warehouse there for pick up. Never had an issue with it. Great service to use especially if companies won't ship certain products to Canada.
    +1

I've had as many as 50 packages sent to their facility over the years (electronics, shoes, clothes, bike wheels, car tires, bug repellent, nutritional food). Factor that $90 for shipping and you may as well just get them from CRC, Wiggle, or use the method above if the vendor is in the states.

mtbr member
    Thx for all the input folks.

Found several new sets on eBay as well, for ~$150 below Stans list, and only $45 shipping. CRC is in the same ballpark too (assuming I get a decent GBP rate) when you factor in the free shipping.

The only difference between eBay and CRC, assuming similar net price (after taxes, duty):
    -The eBay wheels seem to offer Stans 3.30 hubs while the CRCs are built with Hopes. The former has 30 POE (?) while the Hopes indicate 24. I'm not overly familiar with either though.
    -It is expensive to ship something back to CRC in N. Ireland, not that I expect to send back the wheelset.

In any event, the lesson learned here is to NOT buy directly from Stans/Notubes.

*R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Try calling these guys.
    Pedal Bicycle Shop |

They are a Stan's Authorized Dealer and match Stan's online pricing and get product directly from Stan's (including the custom wheel builds Stan's offers) and not through the Canadian Distributors.
    Shipping is much cheaper to.

I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

mtbr member
    This is BS really. I had a set of 29er Crest custom wheels built by Dave at SpeedDream in the Phoenix area last year and the shipping was around $90. Something is not right and there's no reason for that kind of robbery. They should be using appropriate packaging to keep shipping in line and maintain customers.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL View Post
    Try calling these guys.
    Pedal Bicycle Shop |

They are a Stan's Authorized Dealer and match Stan's online pricing and get product directly from Stan's (including the custom wheel builds Stan's offers) and not through the Canadian Distributors.
    Shipping is much cheaper to.
    +1
    I own 2 Stan"s wheels sets bought here and have bought parts and adapters.

Lemmy Rules!
    Could the high shipping be a disincentive on Stan's part to order directly and go through their distributors? That was my first reaction reading this.

BTW I ordered my Arch EXs through my LBS. Sure it cost a little extra (not much, just a little) but I got to support a local business and also have a face I can talk to in the event there are any issues with the wheels down the road.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Could the high shipping be a disincentive on Stan's part to order directly and go through their distributors?
    You make a good point. Always tricky when a manufacturer wants to sell direct and not alienate their vendors & partners. Generally speaking, the mfg will stick to "MSRP" and allow vendors to set their own pricing.

Thing is though, I did a test order for a US address (using my favourite 90210 zip code) and shipping was only $27. Not sure what that means for Stans distribution to Canada.

Re the LBS, I buy a lot of (overpriced) stuff locally. The guy is great, friendly, and I make use of his shop for service I can't do myself. I spend a lot there and understand the premium I pay is generally paid back in expertise.

But should I pay 25-50% more for stuff like grips, pedals, saddles, bottle holders, bolts etc? There's not a lot of value-add from the LBS there - not to mention they almost always have to order it in anyway.

The one think I hate - and it has already killed lots of shops - is the practice of using the LBS as a showroom/fitting room for stuff that folks ultimately buy later online. "Yep, based on this fitting in this bike shop, I need a M in this helmet. I'll now leave and buy it online." This is one scenario where I'll pay more and buy local - if they have my size in stock.

mtbr member
    Figure out which wheelset you want, use Google Product Search to find the best price and then ask Jenson to match it. They will tell you exactly what it costs to get to your door. You won't get any surprise duty fees. That's probably the cheapest way to get what you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Figure out which wheelset you want, use Google Product Search to find the best price and then ask Jenson to match it.
    Yep, that or NexTag usually gives a decent list.

There is a bit of a trick with the Jenson "no extra fees" shipping though. They use UPS WW Saver, which is usually pretty good as it incorporates the brokerage fee.

As for the "no duties", the following bike parts don't get charged duty anyway:
    brakes, forks, fork parts, frame parts, rims, spokes, saddles, hubs, cranks, pedals. (Assembled wheelsets are charged duty though.)

So in some cases Jenson isn't doing anything for you that you can't get via USPS WW Saver, or similar.

Oh, and while CRC gives free shipping via DHL, I seem to recall the brokerage fee from them is outrageous. Not sure if anyone else can confirm as it's been a while since I bought from them.

My favourite is still good ol' USPS regular mail if I can wait. Usually no tax or duty at all.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by phlegm View Post

Oh, and while CRC gives free shipping via DHL, I seem to recall the brokerage fee from them is outrageous. Not sure if anyone else can confirm as it's been a while since I bought from them.
    I've never been charged brokerage from CRC, just HST + $8 handling fee, sometimes not even that.

sore member
    CRC is in the same ballpark too (assuming I get a decent GBP rate) when you factor in the free shipping.
    Just in case you missed it, there's an option on the CRC website to display the prices in Canadian dollars. Add 1-2% to whatever total CRC quotes to account for Visa's exchange rate difference.

-The eBay wheels seem to offer Stans 3.30 hubs while the CRCs are built with Hopes. The former has 30 POE (?) while the Hopes indicate 24. I'm not overly familiar with either though.
    Hope hubs are pretty good, but super noisy, if that matters to you. I've bought a few wheelsets from CRC using Hope hubs and haven't had any fail yet. I have no experience with the Stans hubs.
    Could the high shipping be a disincentive on Stan's part to order directly and go through their distributors?
    That's the impression I got too. They told me go to the LBS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Slash5 View Post
    That's what i did for my Arch 29'er set.

U.S. Address

Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    I bought a set of Hope/Stans wheels from Wiggle (UK), and like Biggie, shipping was free. The total cost of the wheelset wasn't all that much more than the shipping being quoted by Stans.
    I've ordered 2 wwheelsets from Wiggle over the years and got free shipping as well.

I'm ordering more and more from the UK rather than the US for that very reason
    Last edited by Swerny; 01-21-2013 at 10:05 AM.
    Mike
    Toronto, Canada
    2014 Giant TCX SLR2
    2013 Trek Stache 8
    2011 Giant Defy Advanced 0

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Go to your LBS, buy a Stan's Wheelset, don't pay for shipping.

I know, what a crazy solution.
    2013 Ritchey Swiss Cross
    Sram Red
    Syncros Carbon Wheelset

2014 Lapierre ProRace 729

I am employed by a bike shop.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PolishExperiment View Post
    Go to your LBS, buy a Stan's Wheelset, don't pay for shipping.

I know, what a crazy solution.
    Folks have made some great posts in this thread, and it boils down to 2 general issues for Canadians:
    1. The price in the US (and Europe) is almost always lower, even given our favourable exchange rate(s).
    2. Shipping from the US to Canada is often a rip off.

I am curious about the price you're seeing at your LBS on Stans wheelsets. If competitive (even slightly more) I'd be interested.

mtbr member
    I'm going to ask what a 26" Stan's Podium wheelset costs locally. They're $855 online plus 100 dollars shipping to Canada.

LBS Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    I'm going to ask what a 26" Stan's Podium wheelset costs locally. They're $855 online plus 100 dollars shipping to Canada.
    Once you factor in the shipping we can match that price. This is also the case with most current inline products.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast