Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Nov 2004

St-Laurent, Quebec Riding/Bike Rental

Hey Guys,

Going to be working with Bombardier in St-Laurent for about 3 weeks and need to find a place to ride and a good rental shop. Is there any recommendations on good local trails and/or bike shops that can rent a decent bike?

Already planning on making a trip over to Mt. Trembant to check that out but I'd really like to ride during the week as well maybe after work.

I'm riding about 100 miles a week and don't want to stop cold turkey!

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    i'm not in montreal anymore, but, I don't expect you to be able to rent a MTB... not on the island. That said, even renting a road bike is not that great because of the road conditions...

you may give a try on this forum: VMQCA - Groupe de discussion

if you're not lucky on the island, give a try to the Bromont rental bike (at the bottom of the mountain), it's at ±1h from mtl.

if you can accept to rent a road bike, it was possible to ride the Circuit Gilles Villeneuve. Ok, it's boring but if you're looking to a fast place within 15 min of driving, this the place.

I know a bike club up north to mtl, Les pédales du nord (Document sans nom) maybe you could get some infos there...

anyway, I don't know where you're from, but if you planned riding in quebec, I could arrange you something... maybe...

Sentier du Moulin: Sentier du Moulin - Ravage anti-horaire - YouTube
    Les Sentiers du Moulin

Vallé du bras du nord (st-raymond):Bras du nord - Grande Ourse à l'automne - YouTube
    you can rent MTB on site
    Vélo de montagne I Vallée Bras-du-Nord I St-Raymond

anyway, if I can help you, I will

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    oh ****... are you really from ''Coral Springs, FL'' ? So I guess that you don't speak french at all... right?

When will you arrive?

Anyway, there are plenty of nice places to ride.

East hereford
    Coaticook
    Bromont
    Mont Tremblant

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for the info,

I'm going to be arriving this Wednesday so I'll probably try to make it out this weekend or next. To your assumption yes i don't speak french so that should make things interesting. Either way i have Rosetta loaded up on my PC, i'm going to have a lot of downtime during the week so might as well practice!

I'm bringing my helmet, mtb shoes and pedals so we'll see how far i can get!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I can easily plan you some trip with adresses, I'm rigged for this

So, the questions:
    - what kind of rider are you? technical rides? long easy ride? ride to see landscape?
    - of many rides do you expect to do?
    - what is the duration of your rides? (1h30 WOT? 6h easy shot?)
    - will you have a rental car? i hope so...

Bring your tools, tubes, etc. The markup is ±50% at local bikeshop...

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Thanks for your help i really appreciate it!

I ride road and mountain down here, the trails here are pretty technical (to compensate for the lack of elevation) so i should be OK riding XC stuff, maybe a little DH. As a rider best way to put it i guess is "I'd rather die then get dropped" so I'm pretty competitive when it comes down to it. As far as length my rides are usually about 2hrs at a pretty good pace, i usually keep up with the A group on road rides around here(more so hanging on than doing real work) and race MTB occasionally.

I will have a rental for the entire trip so I'm good with a car. Thanks for the info on tubes & tools ill make sure i package everything up tonight.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    how many day of rides? I won't plan something for 8 days iy you have 3days of rides... after all you come for working dude!!!

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    I'd like to spend both days on a weekend to go ride somewhere. I'm planning on driving down to Mt Washington to do some hiking on one of the weekends i'm there as well. If i can squeeze a ride or two during the week during daylight after work that would be cool too. Maybe a total of 4-5 rides?

My job is going to be pretty chill during the day so i'm ready to tear it up in the afternoon!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I you plan to go to mt washington, are you willing to go to Perry hill, Vermont? I think that everyone NEED to ride there before dying
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=perry+...+Hill&t=m&z=13
    all videos I saw on youtube sucks about Perry hill, maybe it's their way to keep te secret... anyway

Bromont
    Mountain Biking - Ski Bromont
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=Ski+Br...m&z=16&iwloc=A
    If you are able to rent something "hot"... 29ere with 120mm, you may do the DH track with if you have good shoulders. I heard the CC trails are nice, never ride it yet.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    East Hereford is a must-go.
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=15,+ru...A9bec&t=m&z=10
    http://www.velo.qc.ca/rep_sentiers/c...bd4ca8eef2.pdf
    http://www.velo.qc.ca/rep_sentiers/c...d2a11c73a7.pdf
    For this site, please have a good set of tire... not gay tire for RAID... the rocks have cutting edges if you don't pay attention where to put your from wheels.
    You will want to do the 50 pesos 2 times
    There is a shower to the south of the church, beside the baseball field

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Québec city!
    As I said earlier: Sentier du Moulin kick ass!!! We don't get bored riding there over and over again (Strava!)
    If you go there, ask me about the "best" track order

Vallé du bras du nord, St-Raymond. Ok, it's not that technical, but it's a heck of nice trails! With my knowledge of the trails, I can do them into 2h15... wouldn't be a lot faster with a evil wolf behind. Expect a very nice 3h-3h30 to ride them.

Once done, you have 2 choices. Do some again of ride the 2nd site in St-Raymond.
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=H%C3%B...A9bec&t=m&z=15
    http://www.valleebrasdunord.com/imag...velo_Laura.pdf
    it is a small site with 10km(?) but it's fun and it can makes you a very nice day of riding. Don't expect local to speak a nice english, you gonna laugh :P
    If you go there tot eh 2 places, ask me about the "best" order.

Mont Sainte-Anne!
    You can rent a DH bike&armor for the day
    Mont-Sainte-Anne - Summer | Mountain bike
    Mont-Sainte-Anne - Summer | Products & Services | Sports Alpins - Rental
    Last edited by Vincyboy; 09-09-2013 at 07:29 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Don't forget! It is important to have a cellphone. It's not the same population density you may get used to... you may wait a long time for help...

in Montréal, you DO wan to have beers on Crescent st. It's Irish pub and it's awesome. Have one at the Brutopia for me

Montréal is a nice place for restaurant... and whores on Sainte-Catherine lol

If you surf, you want to rent a surfboard at LaCordée (https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=lacord...15000&t=h&z=11)
    and ride the 2 waves at Habitat 67.
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?q=45.500...num=1&t=h&z=18
    Montreal Surf Habitat 67 - 24 juin 2010 - Igor - YouTube
    Surf Habitat 67 2009 - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    ok for now... I have a life to live and a bike that need a bit of love before tomorrow

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Dude! I mean no disrespect, BUT, you really need to show me a video on youtube from what you call "technical trail" in FL... I don't want to send you somewhere to die alone...

I'm concerned about what I saw... really

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Markham Park Mountain Bike Trail - Weston, Florida - February 2, 2013 - YouTube This is the best vid i can find of my favorite local trail. I've ridden in Ontario and had no issues so i'm not too worried about dieing! I have enough sense to walk something if its too crazy.. Think i'm going to hit up Mt. St Anne this weekend thanks again for the info!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Ride the MSA if you want, it's gonna be nice but for the CC / XC, it's overrated.

If you can ride the Sentier du moulin, I promess that you gonna have the ride of your life time (if I refer to the video). There are NO unattended jumps, of shitty surprise for someone who doesn't knows the trails. The problem may be about the bike rental...

Just lemme ask some friend if we can figure something.

What bike do you usually ride? How tall are you?

I'm not a weirdo, I pay it forward

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    ya mt st anne is pretty convienient bc of the rental situation. i ride a 19in jamis dragon ht right now. trying to currently find a way to stuff my helmet into my luggage.

again i gotta say thanks for your input man!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    At the Vallée bras du nord, you could rent a ROCKY MOUNTAIN Element 10 our a ROCKY MOUNTAIN Altitude 29er @ 75$/day
    Vélo de montagne I Vallée Bras-du-Nord I St-Raymond

it's not cheap... but you know... need a bike to ride

they have a 19'' for each bike, please make a reservation early, we had rain all week so my guess is that the bike gonna be long gonne if you wait for saturday for reservation. This site is almost rainproof.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Oh damn that place looks sick, going to call for a reservation today. Do you think they speak english? Site looks pretty french

Up, Up, and Away!
    They'll speak enough english to rent you a bike and get you out riding some sweet singletrack.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    allright, there is the best way of riding this site, no mather what people at the receoption will say.

Shannahan:
    - Grande ourse
    - Neilson (need to climb a fire-road, no problem for people in good shape)
    - Petite ourse (at the end of the Neilson, pick Right and just after the bidge, look for a trail entrance)
    - you go on the same direct that exit of the Petite ourse
    - Grande ourse (it's a multisection... need to change name for easier understanding)

you take a break on the bridge crossing a river, awesome point of view. After that, **** the last section of Grande ourse, it's pointless... really

- then you pick Right to the Chute à Gilles.
    - Nulle-part
    - Grande évasion (take a moment to be sure to don't mish the new fork, if you screw up, you're on the Boulevard à gérard = no good
    - Barbe à gendron
    - Coulée douce

you use the Chemin à Sylvain to past the Beurre d'Érable and the Sucre d'orge.

- pick Sucre d'orge on your left
    - Beurre d'érable (highhhhhh speed! no technical at all, all visual, no tricks! really fun)

There it is! You just rode the Shannahan site at it's best. I think I rode it ±50 times (I was a local at a certain time).

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    THEN! If you have some legs left and some time, you eat fast and get back in car while digesting. Direction? Mont Laura(Secteur St-Raymond), in st-raymond. ±20-25 drive from Shannahan.

You park at the Roquemount hotel.

My second beers is ****ing my mind SO I would say that if you have some energy left, focus of the double diamond tracks. A little tricky but nice fun.

You do want to use the Monsieur Roland to access the new site, up map (http://www.valleebrasdunord.com/imag...velo_Laura.pdf)

Please use the left Le coq rond to access the brand new site. Opened september 8th.

I only rode the Le Cervin (the rest wasn't open last time I went) AND IT IS AWWWESOME! I think this is one of the best flowy trail I saw in the hole Québec provinc... state... whatever... If you went to the Blueberry Hills in Vermont, yeah, it's that fun! (with some jumps, weeeeh!)

My guess is that the rest is as much fun, BUT, I didn't go... so...

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    For your information, I plan to ride on the Sentier du Moulin saturday, and maybe to do the match plan described at st-raymond sunday. If you want a local guide IF you can keep the pace, I'll be glad to show you why we deserve the Crazy Cannucks nickname

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Riding St Raymond on Sunday doesnt sound bad, if i get dropped ill just follow your road map lol. What time are you gonna head out there?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I really can't tell yet... usually, I hit the track at ±11ham (arriving at 10h30). The sandy road is quiet messing for a bike so we need to wash it before riding, etc... I have a dropped car, so, no worring for being able to get there

3 things:
    - did they have a 19'' bike? ok a 29er will have a nice rolling, but it's not necessary. You can't go for 26'' and be lighter.
    - bring canadian money. They don't take credit card and I guess I can be tricky to use your US card.
    - how to get there... they still didn't put a googlemap link!
    there it is:
    https://maps.google.ca/maps?saddr=QC...p=1&sz=15&z=12

From the junction of Rang du nord et Rang Saguenay, you can count 18km. It's an easy 5km+ on the sandy/gravel road, don't panic

It's gonna be a bit wet, don't wear your nicest dressing Right now, it's rainning in Quebec city and it sucks...

If you still plan to ride mont saint-anne saturday, be ready for a muddy and wet roots ride. I heard it wasn't that good neither in Mtl... Miss your sunny state? lol

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast