Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. #1
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088

    SRAM Stops Selling Road Hydro Brakes

    SRAM stops sale of Hydro Road brakes - BikeRadar


    SRAM has asked frame manufacturers to stop selling bikes fitted with recent models of RED22 and S700 Hydro Road brakes over a safety issue.


    According to a technical bulletin issued by the American company, which BikeRadar has seen, the stop sell applies to both versions of the brakes with serial numbers between 36T30000000 and 42T39999999 shipped to bike assembly points and after-market distribution channels after 5 September 2013. Product shipped before this date is not affected.

    The serial number is found on the brake caliper (rim or disc) and on the outside of the box containing the product.

    SRAM's technical bulletin on the issue says affected brake systems already in the market will be handled via the normal warranty process.






  2. #2
    rbs
    rbs is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    82
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    SRAM Stops Selling Road Hydro Brakes
    That title was abit misleading. Really, we're talking about a recall. When I saw the title it sounded like they were abandoning the market. Some day I will replace the road bike (ha!) and it will have discs.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,224
    Well, thid did stop selling. Just like the OP said. They're telling dealers not to sell any bikes equipped with these, or sell the brakes individually.
    It didn't say they're discontinued.

  4. #4
    sheep in FOX clothing
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,109

    So things just went from bad to worse...

    Quote Originally Posted by SRAM.com
    It has recently come to our attention that during last weekend’s Cyclocross racing in the US, in sub freezing temperatures, several failures were reported. In these conditions the master cylinder seals failed to hold pressure resulting in abrupt loss of brake power, and an inability to stop the bike. These failures are related to product that is outside the originally stated date code range and unrelated to the original failure mode. No injuries have been reported to date.

    As a result of this new finding, SRAM requests that anyone who has a bike equipped with SRAM Hydraulic Disc or Hydraulic Rim Brakes stop using the bike immediately. All products shipped to date, and currently in the market or in inventory will be recalled.

    Further, we are asking our Bike Brand customers, OE factories, Distributors and Dealers to cease all sales and shipments of SRAM RED 22 and S-700 Hydraulic Road Brakes. A total of approximately 19,000 brake systems have been shipped to date into the global market.
    I gotta say that I have no idea how they managed to mess this up. I've been using hydraulic brakes since 2001. That's 12 winters worth. Including two sets of Avids.

    They've all worked just fine. It's a mature, proven, all-weather, user-serviceable technology.

    What is it about putting the things on a drop bar that is so friggen difficult?

  5. #5
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,034

    SRAM Stops Selling Road Hydro Brakes

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I gotta say that I have no idea how they managed to mess this up. I've been using hydraulic brakes since 2001. That's 12 winters worth. Including two sets of Avids.

    They've all worked just fine. It's a mature, proven, all-weather, user-serviceable technology.

    What is it about putting the things on a drop bar that is so friggen difficult?
    It is the master cylinder (partly the o-ring seal) in the levers that failed. Much less room in the road levers with the shifter guts in there, too.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  6. #6
    sheep in FOX clothing
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,109
    I thought they gave themselves a cubic mile of room in the top of the hood.

    But I'm out of the loop, maybe they reduced the form factor since then?

    I'll reserve comment, since I don't want to do armchair engineering and I don't want to appear to hate on SRAM, since apparently I have the only working pair of Elixer CR's ever made and don't want to jinx it.

    Admitted though, I've been keen to get hydros on my CX bike for years, and the delays, first from the UCI and now from technological gremlins, seem endless.

  7. #7
    Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator
    Reputation: shiggy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1998
    Posts
    48,034

    SRAM Stops Selling Road Hydro Brakes

    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I thought they gave themselves a cubic mile of room in the top of the hood.

    But I'm out of the loop, maybe they reduced the form factor since then?

    I'll reserve comment, since I don't want to do armchair engineering and I don't want to appear to hate on SRAM, since apparently I have the only working pair of Elixer CR's ever made and don't want to jinx it.

    Admitted though, I've been keen to get hydros on my CX bike for years, and the delays, first from the UCI and now from technological gremlins, seem endless.
    Still a new design and different from the "time tested" mtb levers.

    BB7 road setups still work great.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

  8. #8
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I gotta say that I have no idea how they managed to mess this up. I've been using hydraulic brakes since 2001. That's 12 winters worth. Including two sets of Avids.

    They've all worked just fine. It's a mature, proven, all-weather, user-serviceable technology.

    What is it about putting the things on a drop bar that is so friggen difficult?
    Pretty much everyone here will not recall this is not the first hydraulic road rim brake. Magura was the first as far as I recall. I am guessing about 92. As I recall looked like a standard drop bar lever of the time. Of course now the hassle is that everyone wants the whole integrated shifting as well.

    And this falls under rule #1 when it comes to bike industry..... Never buy anything in first production run.

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Thatshowiroll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,224
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Pretty much everyone here will not recall this is not the first hydraulic road rim brake. Magura was the first as far as I recall. I am guessing about 92. As I recall looked like a standard drop bar lever of the time. Of course now the hassle is that everyone wants the whole integrated shifting as well.

    And this falls under rule #1 when it comes to bike industry..... Never buy anything in first production run.
    I remember John Tomac rockin' the Hydros in the early 90's.

  10. #10
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,915
    A friend of mine is a mechanic in a shop and the big concern he mentioned on Sunday is that even though the brakes are being recalled, there is no timeline for the fix and it doesn't include a warranty replacement option to change brifter levers on the bike over to mechanical brakes. So all the people with high end bikes with that hydro build kit are stopped in limbo.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  11. #11
    sheep in FOX clothing
    Reputation: ghettocruiser's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,109
    No one's suggesting brifters aren't indeed more complicated, but shimano made hydraulic MTB brifters for 5 or 6 years.

    Different form factor obviously, but I dare suggest it's otherwise a pretty similar product.

    Nobody (other than me) bought them, so they were discontinued.... but they worked just fine, and in all temperature ranges. I still have them on my winter bike, and I have no plans to change them.

  12. #12
    ups and downs
    Reputation: rockyuphill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    13,915
    From this website FAQ

    Frequently Asked Questions | SRAM Road Hydraulic Brake Recall

    Q: How long before I can get a replacement?

    A: We are forming a complete plan and will release more information on this site weekly. In the meantime, we are requesting contact information of anyone with a bike that is equipped with these components.

    Q: I want to wait for a full hydraulic replacement, how long will that be?

    A: At this time, we do not have a start production date for the new system.
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

  13. #13
    Evil Jr.
    Reputation: garage monster's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    6,858
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    From this website FAQ

    Frequently Asked Questions | SRAM Road Hydraulic Brake Recall

    Q: How long before I can get a replacement?

    A: We are forming a complete plan and will release more information on this site weekly. In the meantime, we are requesting contact information of anyone with a bike that is equipped with these components.

    Q: I want to wait for a full hydraulic replacement, how long will that be?

    A: At this time, we do not have a start production date for the new system.
    Gosh, sucks to be fancy!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

  14. #14
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Gosh, sucks to be fancy!
    I could have told them sub zero temps and hydraulic brakes don't exactly like each other.

    Oh wait. Those where designed for people who only ride bikes when it is 35 degrees outside.

  15. #15

  16. #16
    Team NFI
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    5,088
    Hmm... SRAM trying to avoid a Specialized level of angry mob? Did someone mention the name Unglued?



Similar Threads

  1. Sram Hydro Road Shifters w/ Avid Brake Calipers?
    By lordconqueror in forum Cyclocross
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-25-2013, 04:30 PM
  2. 1st gen hydro brakes
    By rismtb in forum Vintage, Retro, Classic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 12-19-2012, 04:30 PM
  3. New brakes, hydro or not?
    By jonathangeiman in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-20-2012, 04:52 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-21-2012, 06:38 PM
  5. Hydro brakes locking up
    By jeffmuldoon in forum Brake Time
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 08-05-2011, 06:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •