mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Spring Rides - Trails that are more dry than others (SW Ont)

Haven't mountain biked for over five years, I picked up a new rig and will be hitting the trails...as soon as possible. When I did bike it was often at Albion, few times at Mansfield, but not much else. I'm in G-town and I'm aware of Albion, Palgrave, Puslinch, Hydrocut and Guelph Lake (all less than an hour drive)...planning to check out all these trails. However, was wondering if some of these places are known to be relatively dry in the spring (or at least major sections of trails)? Don't mind some mud, just not stupid mud (like when it flowed at P2A last year )

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Turkey Point is the go to place early in the spring. Long drive but worth it. Car pool with someone.
    It's amazing - I've driven up there and all the fields are full of water and I think I'm wasting an couple of hours driving and all that gas. And get there and the trails are great, sandy and dry and so much fun.
    Otherwise Puslinch is next driest.
    And of course the rail trail when everything else is too wet.

mtbr member
    Your Spring eagerness is shared by many of us but for the sake of causing trail damage that lasts all season (and this goes out to all ) , please wait till they have dried up .
    A salute to you for asking about quick drying trails . More should follow your lead .
    Turkey Point is number 1 for quick drying ..... WCC Trail (AKA - Hydrocut) ...not even close .

Nice day for a ride.....
    ccaddy raises a good point, stay off the trials until ready. He and I have both seen damage first hand at Fanshawe Lake from people riding on the soft trails, damage that can last all season.

As for spring trails, Turkey Point is the place. As soon as the snow melts it is ready to go, the sand just soaks up all the moisture. Usually ready to go last week or March / first week of April -ish. Keep an eye on the TP FAQ & Conditions Thread for updates in the spring.

As mentioned before, Puslinch is usually dry fast as well. Every time I've been there its been great, even after rain.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Thanks for the good news. TP is a little far but I'll plan my first ride there...and then see how the trails closer by are drying. Lots of snow this winter so I'm guessing this years first ride may be later than previous years.

mtbr member
    dufferin forest just north of the mansfield outdoor center also dries very quickly.
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    dufferin forest just north of the mansfield outdoor center also dries very quickly.
    That will be my first choice..
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Dgage View Post
    That will be my first choice..
    the only dry trail right now is on my trainer... but it totally sucks...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    the only dry trail right now is on my trainer... but it totally sucks...
    I was on mine for a while, but I've been taking my cross/winter bike out more often, in very cold or wet conditions...with the right gear, and attitude, it's lots of fun.

rwmtb
    Given you are in G-town, you could try Hilton Falls Conservation Area. They are usually one of the earlier trails to open in the GTA thanks to the fairly rocky terrain there. Last year they opened the trails in mid-April, but given all the snow this year it will likely be a bit later.

I have not participated, but there is an active group who arranges group rides at the adjacent Halton Agreement Forest (and other locations). They are on Facebook, "Defiant MTB." Saw a recent post saying the trails at HAF are in pretty good condition now if you are interested in some winter riding...

As much as I love snow (I downhill ski), by March I'm itching to get back on the mountain bike too. The consolation is that in March I can get off the indoor trainer, put away the running shoes, and hit the roads for some nice long rides while anxiously waiting for the trails to dry out.