mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Spring Epic 8 hour at Mansfield -- good or not so good?

Could anyone give some feedback on the spring Epic 8 at Mansfield Outdoor Centre? I've never been to this trail nor heard of it so just curious is this a good day of trail riding/racing? Family friendly? Technical riding ... or boring? Worth the time and money ... Or not?
    Appreciate any help.
    Thx

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I love Mansfield, and organised events are your only chance to ride there, since it's not normally open to riding. It drains very quickly, so is often one of the first good places to ride. I wouldn't call it overly technical, though it has its share of log-overs. Mostly fun swoopy riding. The eight hours are pretty relaxed races - I'd say family friendly for sure.

Lemmy Rules!
    Good! There is a longish climb after the start, followed by fast, flowy, fun trails and a couple of punchy climbs and a couple of fun downhills. It's a pretty ideal intro to MTB racing in Ontario. Well worth the price of admission. I will be racing Singlespeed Solo and am looking forward to it
    Strava made me do it....

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Really fun place to ride, good long climbs, fun single track on the top of the ridge, and fast downhills. One of my favourite places to race.

Evil Jr.
    Between O-Cups, 8-Hours, 24Hr Solos and Marathons, I've probably gone up that stupid start climb nearly a thousand times and I wouldn't mind one bit if I never did it again. However the rest of the place is a blast (despite the soul destroying climb on the back-end of the course). 8-Hours in general have a great atmosphere and offer great value for your racing dollar.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Between O-Cups, 8-Hours, 24Hr Solos and Marathons, I've probably gone up that stupid start climb nearly a thousand times and I wouldn't mind one bit if I never did it again. However the rest of the place is a blast (despite the soul destroying climb on the back-end of the course). 8-Hours in general have a great atmosphere and offer great value for your racing dollar.
    GM...would love to see you and your creamsicle coloured bike on the start line at this year's event. I believe that my increased fitness and your year off racing would level the playing field somewhat....
    Strava made me do it....

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I believe that my increased fitness and your year off racing would level the playing field somewhat....
    Sounds like an opportunity for a..... Six Pack Smack Down! I'm in!
    Last edited by tommy; 11-29-2013 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Doing my best to avoid the wrath of the spelling police.

mtbr member
    Hey, last time we had a Six Pack Smack down, I won, so it seems appropriate for me to participate and to "defend my title".

Not to mention that I have to defend the 8 hour series title too.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

Lemmy Rules!
    This just got interesting. I have been trash-talking 14Stone since about 10 minutes after last year's spring epic 8 so I assume he is in too.
    Strava made me do it....

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    [QUOTE=serious;10843519]Hey, last time we had a Six Pack Smack down, I won, so it seems appropriate for me to participate and to "defend my title". QUOTE]

Was this 2011 at Hardwood? I think I put 6 Mad Tom's into that one.

sock puppet
    I believe that my increased fitness and your year off racing would level the playing field somewhat....
    i have heard this before... is it for real this time?

do you mind checking in one of our hilton falls rides this winter? although we do poke fun at each other to death, we would not mind another victim to traumatize. yes?
    Signature

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=tommy;10843738]
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Hey, last time we had a Six Pack Smack down, I won, so it seems appropriate for me to participate and to "defend my title". QUOTE]

Was this 2011 at Hardwood? I think I put 6 Mad Tom's into that one.
    Yes, it was in 2011 (summer version, very hot day), but I left the booty with garage_monster. I am sure he did it justice.
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

Evil Jr.
    Yes, it was in 2011 (summer version, very hot day), but I left the booty with garage_monster. I am sure he did it justice.
    IIRC, I shared it with some very deserving trail builders.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=garage monster;10843798]
    IIRC, I shared it with some very deserving trail builders.
    I knew I did the right thing!
    My rides:
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    Pake French 75 track

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    i have heard this before... is it for real this time?

do you mind checking in one of our hilton falls rides this winter? although we do poke fun at each other to death, we would not mind another victim to traumatize. yes?
    Would love to join you guys at Hilton, but I don't recall getting word of any rides last year. I figured you guys had excommunicated me because of my decision to run Conti tires.

The only snag is that I am on daddy duty most Sunday mornings because Mrs. Unglued has something she goes to then. Given how much time I spend riding the rest of the weekend, this is not an applecart I am inclined to upset....
    Strava made me do it....

I Strava Hamburgers
    This just got interesting. I have been trash-talking 14Stone since about 10 minutes after last year's spring epic 8 so I assume he is in too.

Naturally, long as you guys share my beer with me at the end.
    Really looking forward to the solo single 8s this summer, DFL or not.

Mansfield isn't "technical" really, but there are some nifty things in there that MAY cause some pucker. Those downhills can get incredibly rutty and there is one drop right before a corner and a steep cliff that I've seen some people balk at as well. There was also a neat hill in there with a steep down and a little bit of a lip at the end that scared some people too. If you're a good rider, they'll be nothing to you. If you're new, then be warned. Its mainly the optics that's scary, once you ride it they're more fun then anything.

The event itself is awesome fun in general. Though they close the fugging BBQ before the Solo's can get there, that sucked last year. By the time I'm done hauling my fat arse around the course for 8h, you're foolish not to keep that place open to accommodate the small fortune I'm about to spend on food I really shouldn't be eating.
    Last edited by 14Stone; 11-29-2013 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Event is awesome, griping about the BBQ.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    I'm really glad I didn't take you up on your offer last winter!

As you may have read I only lost my Hilton virginity a few weeks ago in perfectly dry weather.

No one I was riding with was pushing any serious cardio like you do either.

Death by Oggie from heart attack from going anaerobic too much.

Death by Oggie from heart attack from feature induced fear.

Death by Oggie from injury from falling off said features because of lack of skill (ice or not)......

Drew

p.s. thanks for the comment on the Krysiums!
    occasional cyclist

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by dru View Post
    I'm really glad I didn't take you up on your offer last winter!

As you may have read I only lost my Hilton virginity a few weeks ago in perfectly dry weather.

No one I was riding with was pushing any serious cardio like you do either.

Death by Oggie from heart attack from going anaerobic too much.

Death by Oggie from heart attack from feature induced fear.

Death by Oggie from injury from falling off said features because of lack of skill (ice or not)......

Drew

p.s. thanks for the comment on the Krysiums!
    lol, we had a great ride today... over 3 hours in perfect temperature, just below zero. i am still waiting for the delivery of my first fat bike... can't wait to take it to hilton falls... it is a social ride - we do not leave our comrades behind. most of the times.
    Signature

mtbr member

Spring Epic 8 hour at Mansfield -- good or not so good?

Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    I love Mansfield, and organised events are your only chance to ride there, since it's not normally open to riding. It drains very quickly, so is often one of the first good places to ride. I wouldn't call it overly technical, though it has its share of log-overs. Mostly fun swoopy riding. The eight hours are pretty relaxed races - I'd say family friendly for sure.
    Actually there's riding there all season , not just at events. But not on the Mansfield outdoor center trails. There are other trail networks in there as well that the locals build maintain & ride. These trails are just as challenging & fun and riding on them is free and not " pouching"
    But if you do ride & enjoy them , please fill out survey on heklers thread " Mansfield needs your help "
    Cheers
    Bern

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Freea
    Ride a Santa Cruz heckler
    And many part bikes : )
    " Team Van Go"

mtbr member
    I'll just chime in to bolster the "family friendly" part. I had the kids, and extended family there for a campout prior to the race and then all race day two years ago. It was a blast. my kids loved the kids race too. very very family friendly.

The race course is a blast as well, even with that stupid climb up the ridge.