Thread: Spring Epic 8

Lemmy Rules!

Spring Epic 8

Every year in around March I forget how brutal doing the Epic 8 solo on a singlespeed is and sign up for this race. This year was no exception. And apparently there will be a Big Guys on Singlespeeds Smackdown between 14Stone and myself. Beer is on the line.

So who else is in...?
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I'm there...but I am tag teaming it...on a geared bike cuz they make those now...

mtbr member
    I am also in for solo single speed.

Unglued is right, we do forget how hard this is. Even though I don't have much time on the mountain bike this year (6 hours actually) I have a huge base behind me and I am only 145 lbs. I feel ready.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Over the bars...
    The calendar had this race penciled in but it got the last minute X, 3 years in a row with no spring 8. Eh well, maybe next year...

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by egggman View Post
    The calendar had this race penciled in but it got the last minute X, 3 years in a row with no spring 8. Eh well, maybe next year...
    Dude, that sucks!!

mtbr member
    I eagerly signed up for this event solo after having had so much fun last year. But I seem to have come down with something this weekend and am doubting my participation.

Anyone care to buy my registration??
    I love riding my bike!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    Every year in around March I forget how brutal doing the Epic 8 solo on a singlespeed is and sign up for this race.
    You know what they say.. the first thing to go with old age is memory.

This year was no exception. And apparently there will be a Big Guys on Singlespeeds Smackdown between 14Stone and myself. Beer is on the line.
    With all that exercise and dieting you are still in the Clydesdale division? In the immortal words of Mr McEnroe..You can't be serious.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    I am also in for solo single speed.

Unglued is right, we do forget how hard this is. Even though I don't have much time on the mountain bike this year (6 hours actually) I have a huge base behind me and I am only 145 lbs. I feel ready.
    And to think I was happy to be down to 180 lb...

But I spend 4 hours on the Misfit today and it was not horrible, so I guess I feel ready too...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I'm in, but on a team. I'll be on singlespeed though. Looking forward to it

I Strava Hamburgers
    And apparently there will be a Big Guys on Singlespeeds Smackdown between 14Stone and myself. Beer is on the line.

So who else is in...?
    In this thread we read that Unglued at 180lbs still thinks he's a big guy. He needs to ride with a child seat and a 8 year old strapped into it. Then we're about even :P

I look forward to my 8h in the bushes this weekend, even though DFL is where I'm going to finish in the SS cat . I'll be the big guy squeezed into Lapdogs kit. If you see me, please push me up the hill. If you see me lying down somewhere, please resuscitate with cold beer... since I think Unglued is going to walk away with mine.

Lemmy Rules!
    Spent 4 hours and 60km doing loops of the Lower Don yesterday afternoon. I had forgotten what a pleasure my singlespeed is to ride. We'll see if I still feel the same way at around 6.15pm on Saturday....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Spent 4 hours and 60km doing loops of the Lower Don yesterday afternoon. I had forgotten what a pleasure my singlespeed is to ride. We'll see if I still feel the same way at around 6.15pm on Saturday....
    I did the same on Friday, except I was at Albion Hills. I did 2 loops of the black trails (about 52km and 3h17m), but I felt a bit "battered" after that, so Saturday and Sunday I went on the road for 3.5 and 2.5 hours respectively. All in all a great weekend for me, especially with that super fantastic weather.

Oh, and no, you won't feel the same at 6:15 on Saturday.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    In this thread we read that Unglued at 180lbs still thinks he's a big guy. He needs to ride with a child seat and a 8 year old strapped into it. Then we're about even :P
    I figured this would be a 8 hour smack down between Unglued and Spak. The white collar vs the Blue collar rumble in the forest. The Urbanite in the suit vs The Redneck in the flannel sausage suit.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    I figured this would be a 8 hour smack down between Unglued and Spak. The white collar vs the Blue collar rumble in the forest. The Urbanite in the suit vs The Redneck in the flannel sausage suit.
    But Matt is probably not racing in single speed.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Over the bars...
    May be in Mansfield Friday evening.... Anyone up for a late "pre-ride"?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    But Matt is probably not racing in single speed.
    With the knowledge of Spak's race patterns....I'd say they are about even. With the odds favouring Unglued.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Spring Epic 8-2013epic-8.jpg

New map up for the 2013 course.

mtbr member
    Looks like the weather will cooperate. Mother nature is outdoing herself after a dismal spring.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Weather does look good. The rain today should help prevent the dust bowl conditions of last year.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Whats the weather saying for you guys? All I'm seeing is overcast and cool.

Edit: which isn't bad either.

mtbr member
    I see 15 C and variable cloudiness, which while not ideal for lounging on the beach, is pretty good for a bike race.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Getting excited!! Tomorrow can't come soon enough. Good luck to everyone racing tomorrow
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Hey racergurl, are you racing or supporting your son?
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hey Serious! My son and I entered the mixed tag team category. See you out there ripping it up tomorrow!
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by racergurl View Post
    Hey Serious! My son and I entered the mixed tag team category. See you out there ripping it up tomorrow!
    Good luck tomorrow, i know you guys are going to bring it. I shall do my best too.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Lemmy Rules!
    Looks like a pretty strong field in solo singlespeed...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Looks like a pretty strong field in solo singlespeed...
    Is there a list?
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Barry, how'd it go? Victory wheelie across the line with beer in hand?

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Barry, how'd it go? Victory wheelie across the line with beer in hand?
    Not exactly. I won the smackdown with 14Stone and Rob with 12 laps, which was, from what I was told, good for 6th out of 11 in solo SS. I did not, however, win the Spakdown. Mr. Spak is in fine form (which is good to see) and pulled an awesome 15 laps (and from what I could tell did not stop talking, or break a sweat, the whole time). Also, major kudos to nspace with 15 laps and a SS solo podium, and Serious who proclaimed that he is back, with authority, with 14 laps and a 4th place. Good job boys.

I set out pretty strong, pushing a 34:18 gearing (up from 32:18 last year) and was able to stay on top of it most of the day (I was riding up the start hill until about 4pm, at which time I was pushing up the last section (a man has to know his limitations). The bike performed flawlessly despite an early scare - I though I had a broken spoke which turned out to fortunately be a spoke-lengthed twig caught in my spokes. The toughest part towards the end was riding all of the rutted downhills on a rigid fork. My shoulders and arms are really sore and I feel like I was hit with a Mack truck. However, my worst problem for the day was, as usual, gut-rot. I ran a very fine line between eating little enough to keep it all down, and eating enough to prevent bonking.

For comic relief, I hit the same awkwardly-placed root three laps in a row and went down.

However, everyone there was really awesome and encouraging, and with the exception of one minor piece of douchebaggery by a team rider who was taking himself way too seriously, everyone was really, really classy on the trails.

So I'll give myself a B plus for this one, as it was definitely my highest amount of laps, and my highest position finish to date. But no wheelie across the finish line. I was just too damn tired.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member

Spring Epic 8

You did awesome Barry. I wouldn't have wanted to do any laps on that course with a SS. Kudos to you crazy bastards.
    "Go till I blow..... chunks"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Well done, Barry. And welcome back Spak.

Congrats..NSpace.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Dang rites!! Well done Barry, every time I saw you you looked like you were suffering...but you were always going and sounding positive. I hate that start climb (and the long grind after the solo pits) with gears...can't imagine it without!

I Strava Hamburgers
    Ugh, Barry threw 2 laps into me over the course of the day. I'll rematch him next year. I got my 10 in that I was aiming for. I didn't finish DFL which was a bonus, but I'm not sure what happened to the last guy, he dropped after 6 laps.

I swore I was only 5 laps in, I must have zombied through a lap. Lap 6 I had made a pact with myself to constantly move forward, even if I had to walk the hills. When I saw that I had completed lap 9 with enough time to finish a lap 10, I felt really good about my day.

Cramping and feeding were a fine balance and a total learning curve that I needed to figure out on the go. Some laps I didn't want to eat, some laps I would polish off an entire bottle of perpetuem, couple of nut balls I made, and a banana... I donno mad science

All in all, a good day of racing, only 1 derp moment where the camera guy was in a bit of a squirrley area. Hit a tree, broke my GPS mount and my lockout... Lap1 jitters also to blame as well.

Great to meet a bunch of MTBR riders too, congrats on your results!

Not bad for a 240lb'er.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    Not bad for a 240lb'er.
    Actually that is amazing for a 240 lbs guy! You carry almost 100lbs more than me!

And I should add that I finished 5th, not 4th as Barry mentioned. It would have been 4th in the over 40 (and under 40) category, but no matter, I am happy enough with my performance. It is a PB.

BTW, results are up.
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    We had a great time at the Epic 8. My 6 person team had a lot of fun. Three of the guy had never raced before but had a blast. We did get some strange looks when passing the baton though. As the incoming rider handed over the baton the outgoing rider handed him a beer. We were the only team doing that, that we noticed. Isn't that standard procedure??
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    If this is the same Barry who lent me his seatpost, I once say thank you to my friend. You saved my day!! I podium-ed in the 40+ solo.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. DR View Post
    If this is the same Barry who lent me his seatpost, I once say thank you to my friend. You saved my day!! I podium-ed in the 40+ solo.
    That was me. I'm glad that at least the seat post from my spare bike made it to the podium. Glad I was able to help you keep riding!
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Thx dudes. Awesome race. Loved the course. Managed to make it up all the climbs for the first few laps. Then I started walking the really rutted out loose climb by about lap 4. I started walking the last 2 by lap 7 or so, but managed to make it up (albeit slowly) the start climb on every lap. Downhills were hard in the latter half after a few of them got really rutted out. The descent to the finish got brutal! Was wishing for a suspension fork for the last couple of laps! Very happy with my result. A quick look at the results shows I would have won had I entered my age group, shows how competitive the SS category is, much like at the OCUPs.

The day started out kinda crap. Lost my GPS before the race started, was late getting to starting grid so I ended up at the back of the back and had a lot of ground to make up. Got stuck in many conga lines and encountered quite possible the most angry d-bag I've ever encountered at a citizen event. And then on lap 5, my lock ring fell off and the cog was bouncing around on the freehub. I had to stop 3 times to tighten by hand. I managed to catch up to a friend who had passed me while I was figuring out what went wrong and arranged to get a lock ring tool for the following lap. Did another lap with hand tight and lap 7 managed to stop take off the rear wheel and get the lock ring sorted. That was a good load off my mind! Rest of the race went well from then on. Heed and Endurolytes took care of any cramping issues (I was surprised I never once even had a tingle), and remembered how much suffering I did on a liquid diet, so I stuck to tried & tested peanut butter on bread.

Great to see you guys out there. Unglued, awesome to ride with you as usual. Thanks for all your recon work! You gave me the motivation to hunt down the guy in 3rd.

mtbr member
    Fantastic job all the solo ss guys! Tom, you're BACK!
    Has anyone else noticed how silly the water feed station was? I don't think they understood the concept. Every single lap I did, I hadn't seen anyone (I usually saw just a single woman there) handing cups to riders as they rode by, instead there were a few filled cups sitting on the table, and the crew just staring at you as your rode by. What the heck?? What was even the point? Weird...

mtbr member
    Yeah I agree, the feed station was a bit weird. I only stopped once because I ran out of HEED on a lap. I didn't like having to pull off into the leaves (looks like they tried to position it between 2 sections of the course), stop pedaling and get a cup. I recall in past events there is always a bunch of people handing them off and a garbage can you that you get to shoot hoops with your trash, a few meters ahead.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arek View Post
    Has anyone else noticed how silly the water feed station was? Weird...
    They actually announced at the beginning of the race that there was a feedstation but they weren't handing out the water, you had to stop if you wanted some. Its probably better because you don't really need to grab water anyway. If you take a half bottle you will be fine for the lap. Besides most people can't grab water while riding without spilling it anyway.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Its probably better because you don't really need to grab water anyway. If you take a half bottle you will be fine for the lap.
    By that logic, what's the point of having water station at all? While the laps were short and personally I didn't *need* water most of the day, I bet a lot of riders - especially solos and tag teams would have appreciated a half-spilled cup of water even to just rinse out a dry mouth, without the need to pull over. That's just pure nonsense. Especially on a short course like that, the 10 seconds that it would take to grab a drink could cost you a position, not to mention you're losing your momentum, maybe a few slower riders you had just passed now get in front of you again in the next single track section... If you're going to have a station, do it the right way.

mtbr member
    "Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML"

hey Doug
    looks like you'll have to change this at the bottom of your posts.
    Go LEAFS GO
    Team Van Go

mtbr member
    Third year in a row competing in the Epic 8 for me, and as usual it was a great day on the bike.

I was riding a Misfit single speed in a 4 person team with a goal of finishing top 10 in the 160-200 category. We finished 6th so mission accomplished.

Hats off to the solo riders, in particular the SS guys and the solo guy on the fat bike. I believe I exchanged greetings with nspace on the trails once, a brief congrats after the race, and exchanged pained looks when a driver ran his roof mounted bike into the low hanging branch of a massive oak tree.

Great course, although it did get bumpy as the day wore on. The weather, while cool to start was otherwise perfect. Other riders were very courteous.

Highlights for me included several successful uphill grinds. Surprise at the number of other Misfits. Receiving the baton from my team mate and not realizing he rolled in with a taco'd front wheel after crashing hard on the final descent and straightening his wheel enough to allow it to clear his forks for the final few hundred meters. Having Wendel Clark on my team.

Lemmy Rules!
    From about 4.00pm on Saturday, all I was thinking, "I am never doing a solo 8-hour on a singlespeed again", "WTF I have a perfectly good geared bike and home", and "it would be fun to do this race as part of a team for a chance".

Sometime around noon on Sunday that turned to "what can I do differently next year when I race this event in SS solo".

Apparently I need help.

Oh yeah, and +1 with the water station. Why even bother having one if they are going to put it so far off the trail and not hand out drinks. I didn't even notice it there until my 4th lap...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    I rather agree about the water station too. Like many other solos, I generally rely on myself for water/food, but we do waste time stopping. My bike computer said that I was moving for about 8h02m, but my time was around 8:16. So I managed to waste about 14 minutes changing water bottles, grabbing food, changing clothes (when it got too hot) and peeing. It would not have made any difference for me, but for a podium contender that is huge!
    My rides:
    KHS Team 29
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by trailtrash View Post
    "Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML"

hey Doug
    looks like you'll have to change this at the bottom of your posts.
    Go LEAFS GO
    No way! it's way to dangerous to take that down. Look what happened!!
    I was looking for you on Saturday but didn't see you. Where you there?
    Friends don't let friends cheer for the TML