mtbr member

Spring 8 Hour - Official Thread

Who's in? Team, solo, bottle jockey?

Love riding at Mansfield.
    Last edited by CptSydor; 05-22-2009 at 10:05 AM.

bi-winning
    I typically do this with a team of 4, but this year I will be doing the Spring relay on a tag team, which we have named "Wish We Had 2 More." I'm excited about it.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

All my faucets is Moen.
    I'll be up there on a four man team. Its my first team relay event and I'm very excited. I've never ridden Mansfield so thats the 3rd new track for me in three weeks (Albion, Horseshoe, Mansfield). Sweet!

The Shorthills Cycling Club will be well represented with 6 - 4man teams and 3 solos.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I decided to do this year's race solo. I feel a little better about my decision after this weekend Horseshoe race. Used to be one of the "wish we had 2 more" team with RKJ. Should have great weather and say Hi when you pass me, I ride a Green 29er stumpy with a pain look in my face.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll be there with my high school team (I drag us up into the 20-29 year old category). Our goal is to not get "chicked" by my wife's team.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Tag Team for Crankskins.Com from NYS...looking forward to it. Great course, great time.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor

Disclaimer: Spam henceforward. (If you can read this, I'm still a free-agent)

The real purpose of this post. Normally ride these solo, but for a variety of reasons, decided not to this year, but to try a on a team (any size). Having no luck. If you are looking for someone to fill in, send me a PM. # 1 priority is to have fun and for everyone to push themselves. If you are looking to place, I may* be able to help you out.

* Let me know and we can discuss if I will fit in.
    I haven't registered yet, but it sounds like an interesting idea. Let me know if you can get someone else because I'd like to race with a 4 person team if possible.

I'll send an email out to a few people and see what they say.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by macming
    I haven't registered yet, but it sounds like an interesting idea. Let me know if you can get someone else because I'd like to race with a 4 person team if possible.

I'll send an email out to a few people and see what they say.
    Registration is full, so unfortunately it's find a team looking for people or yard work!

mtbr member
    Registration is full, so unfortunately it's find a team looking for people or yard work!
    Yeah I just saw that Oh well, I can just do some hill training instead then!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I'll be racing in the "3-4 Person 120-159 Age Group", last year we came in 4th in the mixed teams using singlespeeds. This year we're back with the singlespeeds and we'll be trying to better last years results and maybe even earn a couple of "barley-recovery-drinks" by the end of the race.

See you up there,

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by Photograph
    I'll be racing in the "3-4 Person 120-159 Age Group"
    you sure are a good sprinter my spindly friend...maybe that is the best category for you...
    <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ANdNlEojHL4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ANdNlEojHL4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by nogearshere
    you sure are a good sprinter my spindly friend...maybe that is the best category for you...
    I'll wait till the Fall Epic 8 to go solo.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I am doing it on a tag team. I already know things are NOT going to go well for me, I am considering backing out on my partner. I got back from a bachelor party in cancun a couple weeks ago (5 days of abolute trouble) and was best man for my buddies wedding this past weekend (somebody ghb'd me, at least it felt that way). Look for the guy collapsed in the bushes spitting up blood sometime within the first hour of the race, that will be me.

Good luck everyone!

mtbr member

In like Flynn, but whose that?

Disclaimer: Spam henceforward. (If you can read this, I'm still a free-agent)

The real purpose of this post. Normally ride these solo, but for a variety of reasons, decided not to this year, but to try a on a team (any size). Having no luck. If you are looking for someone to fill in, send me a PM. # 1 priority is to have fun and for everyone to push themselves. If you are looking to place, I may* be able to help you out.

* Let me know and we can discuss if I will fit in.
    Running in the 3-4 person age group category...This is the normal category for us this time of year. Just getting the fitness where it needs to be. This is always a great event to start the season and the Mansfield terrain is fantastic. Forecast is looking good for the weekend and dry the next few days, so going to be dusty.

We will be running some new HD helmetcam equipment of the event DVD of this race. Hope to see you smiling, giving me the finger, or whatever works for you out there on Saturday.

N.

PS. I know the finger comment is very open ended. Oh no, so was that...Jesus, here we go!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    I also missed the registration before it was full. Good luck to all, conditions are looking very good!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nspace
    I also missed the registration before it was full. Good luck to all, conditions are looking very good!
    So we are all saved of making our tire choices based on a pewk laden course. While we would love to see you out there Tom, this saves us doing any research on tire choices for vomit.

mtbr member
    Yes, you can leave your WTB Vomitwolfs at home.

Misfit Psycles
    wow.
    with SOLO numbers being pooled (a maximum # determined by OVERALL solo registration) and the singlespeeders and their lase faire attitudes towards pre-reg...the sss cat looks like it will be thin compared to the others.

as a sponsor of the ss cat, this is very disappointing.

shame sean et al couldn't proceed with the 'solo' course...would have allowed for more solos and made for a better day in mine eye.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

mtbr member
    Course Map......looks like I'm going to be doing yard work instead.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Evil Jr.
    OMGROFLMAO!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I haven't ridden mansfield in 2 years, what is the terrain like, I can't remember. Is there lots of climbing? Tougher course or easier course than the summer/fall 8 hour at hardwood?

sock puppet

hehehe, second that...

nice come back Tom...

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    OMGROFLMAO!

Singlespeed Mysty

well...........

Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    We will be running some new HD helmetcam equipment of the event DVD of this race. Hope to see you smiling, giving me the finger, or whatever works for you out there on Saturday.

N.

PS. I know the finger comment is very open ended. Oh no, so was that...Jesus, here we go!
    If I was doing this event I would've mooned you instead

not ready to do an 8 hour... I don't even know where to start with finding people to gather a team this year. I doubt very much Peter Parker would want a SLOW Team Misfit ... coz I'd be the only one... unless any of the Team Misfit want to put together a SLOW team... LOL... yeah ... that is what I thought...

p.s. don't hold me to that ...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by robbbby
    I haven't ridden mansfield in 2 years, what is the terrain like, I can't remember. Is there lots of climbing? Tougher course or easier course than the summer/fall 8 hour at hardwood?
    Probably a little easier than Hardwood. Sandy soil, not too rough or technical, medium difficulty climbing.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Singlespeed Mysty
    I wonder if that what was on my Exi's after the Tuesday race...

Unidentified ick on my Exi's... Further analysis required ...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Sir Hurt Locker
    I will be racing as part of a team of 4. Not expecting a podium finish by any means, looking forward to having fun and pushing myself to get the best result I can. My team is Team Defiant1, see you there! Good luck to everyone.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member

shame sean et al couldn't proceed with the 'solo' course...would have allowed for more solos and made for a better day in mine eye.
    Heard of a few that weren't quick enough to the registration and got limited. I for one was interested in the solo only course, I think it would of helped to increase the numbers of solo participants with those willing to give it a chance since they won't be in the way of the fast teams.

Well, should be a good day tomorrow, still not sure what team I will be riding with but either way it is going to hurt I haven't spent enough time on the bike.

Singlespeed Mysty

I was actually talking to a fellow cyclist about what races I was going to do this season and had pondered deeply about eventually doing a "solo" event as a personal goal or some such at the end of the season (perhaps the fall 8 hour) ...

I think a "solo" only course might have been a great thing for someone like me that were "thinking" about doing a solo race like myself. But that is my 2$ ... just saysamin...

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

Team Speed Co-Founder
    Team Speed will be making its 2009 debut as a complete team. Finally!!! We’ll be sporting the not so new anymore warm up jackets, and some new jersey’s (Screened last night!) Were in the tag team under 80… See ya on the trails or having a beer around the start finish line… most likely and hopefully the latter…

In notice that Chico has decided to omit the “Best Forecast Ever” http://www.chicoracing.com/html/inde...rticle&sid=296 comment from this race… let’s hope that keeps the rain away

And remember…
    Thou Shalt Always Respect the Plight

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Time to start packing!!
    Now, has anyone seen my race legs? Think I forgot them at Crank The Sheild last fall.
    High on Life

Hack Racer
    I'll be there for a two person team.

Any idea what the average lap time will be? It's been like 3 years since I've done this race. I'm thinking low 40 min for a ok lap... Sub 30 if you are a machine.. ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I'll be making my 8hr solo debut!
    Should I get amber hazard blinkies so you guys know a slow rider is up ahead???

Is that brutal steep climb near the end on the course this year/ I can't tell?
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:
    FSR XC -R7 Platinum - SRAM X7 (26.5lbs)
    Cervelo SLC - SRAM Rival - Reynolds DV46T (16.25 lbs)

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Nobody tell my teammates, but I just opened up a bottle of Shiraz to help me as I pack. That and a bag of Scream Cheese Doritos should have me sufficiently fueled for tomorrow...
    Jouko

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Still packing, while shoveling my delish homemade sweet potato casserole into my mouth, telling myself, don't worry, you'll wear it all off tomorrow.
    Bikes are gleaming and ready to go after switching my back tire to my Michelin XCR Dry on my Scalpel. Back up bike is just out of the shop with a new rear derailleur, new chain and new XT cassette.
    Tomorrow can't come soon enough. I'll never be able to sleep tonight. And I'll never get done packing if I don't get of this darn site.
    Good luck tomorrow everyone!!
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

The 8 Hr Course

We prerode the course today. It was a good mix of climbs, fast single track and fast downhills. Good Luck to all and see you tomorrow...

bi-winning
    It's quarter to ten, and I have not started packing yet, as I had to help move some furniture after work.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying J
    We prerode the course today. It was a good mix of climbs, fast single track and fast downhills. Good Luck to all and see you tomorrow...
    Am I right in assuming that the course is longer than the typical 8 hour course? Every 8 hour I've been at has had about a 9 km course that the fastest finish under 30 minutes. I've heard this one is 11 km (perhaps to reduce traffic), which may or may not mean it'll take the fastest closer to 35 minutes.

Chances of me reading anyone's repsonse at 5:30 A.M. as I try to load the van...50/50

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Best course ever!!

Except maybe the extra bit after the solo area! After resting the legs they get destroyed again before even finishing the lap!

Need to go to sleep now!
    First solo ever was an awesome adventure though!
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:

bi-winning
    That was really fun. 16/47 in under 80 tag team. Course had lots of big ring sections, and a pair of challenging climbs. Weather was great, trail conditions were great. Riders were courteous and polite.

Sir Hurt Locker
    What an amazing bike race! The course was so much fun with lots of fast twisty singletrack, steep rooty descents, and some challenging climbs. I absolutely loved this race and had the time of my life.

I had two goals for this 8-hour; 1 - not to finish last and 2 - complete sub 40min laps. I achieved both of these goals!! Finished 22 of 40 in the 4-man age 120--159 category.

Here are some pictures I took at the race:

Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Awesome race! It was a great start to the season for me. Course was loads of fun, and I ended up doing much better than I thought I would. I had consistent lap times and only ended up with a small leg cramp which seems to be fairly normal for me. Me and my partner ended up 10th for male tag team. Hopefully this race has set me up for getting my butt into gear and doing a little more riding and a little less taco bell eating.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Glad to hear

Sure rub it in everybody bad enough I had to work this weekend and now I have to hear about all the fun I missed too. Anyway glad to hear everybody had a great time and that the weather was good and you can thank me for that one because its always nice when I work on the weekend and rains on my weekends off. As it did this morning when I got off work and started my week layoff. Hopefully next yr I will be able to make it.

mtbr member
    It was a great course, once it started to berm up about an hour or so in it got down right fun. With our weird use of time for my training., I rode just over 5 hours then my partner took over for the the remainder we finished 8th of the 47 teams in tag. I didn't want to get off my bike. My little race report is up on my site below.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    [QUOTE=2_Tires]What an amazing bike race! The course was so much fun with lots of fast twisty singletrack, steep rooty descents, and some challenging climbs. I absolutely loved this race and had the time of my life.

I had two goals for this 8-hour; 1 - not to finish last and 2 - complete sub 40min laps. I achieved both of these goals!! Finished 22 of 40 in the 4-man age 120--159 category.

Here are some pictures I took at the race:

Was this picture taken just after 6:00? If so, I think that's me trying to pass a couple ore guys before the finish just in case one of them was from the team in third ahead of us (wasn't though; turns out they had started the previous lap way further ahead than we thought).

We had a mechanical on the second lap, causing a 35 minute loss and putting us back into last place. We worked our way all the way up to 4th/12. My teammates (2 students from my high school team) had a great experience at their first 8 hour race. I wish they could have been on the podium.

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    Does anyone remember how long the course was last year?
    www.mtbiker.ca

My Rides:

Sir Hurt Locker
    Quote Originally Posted by HSCoach2

Was this picture taken just after 6:00?
    Yes, I took that after 6. I can e-mail the pic to you if you'd like. Sorry to hear about your mechanical, there's always next time to get the podium.
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by 2_Tires
    Yes, I took that after 6. I can e-mail the pic to you if you'd like. Sorry to hear about your mechanical, there's always next time to get the podium.
    Thanks for the photo. Man I need a new helmet.

I don't think I'm doing any more 8 hours this year (conflicts with other races), so they'll have to go for the podium without me.

All my faucets is Moen.
    Yeah great course, great flow. Especially in the first half. I know the SS'ers were loving it. Seemed like it was built for them.

It was my first relay event and I had a blast. Nice party Friday night and we broke the trumpet out at 2am. I guess Chico wasn't to happy with that.

Our team finished 8th in the 120-159 cat. and I got in 4 solid laps all in the 36min range. We missed one extra lap by about 2 min. but earned those post race beers and hamburgers. Good times.

mtbr member

Results are up...

http://www.chicoracing.com/html/inde...rticle&sid=306

Got some great pics and video footage from this race this weekend for the event video. Trailer will be up at www.cadencexc.com in a couple of days...

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Wow, who the heck is the guy who won the solo men under 40? Just incredible, he lapped all the other solos and i'm sure if he really wanted could have done a 15th lap since his 14 laps were done well under the 8 hour mark. Very impressive to say the least.

bi-winning
    Me and my tag partner John.

Kids race.

Jcr1

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Who is that good looking man with the Liberty jersey? I heard he quit after 10 laps because it was just not fun anymore. I guess 8hrs solo is not for me, I personnaly enjoy racing as a team much better, more fun and get a chance to actually enjoy the event. Back in Mansfield on June 14th for the Marathon series. See you all there, should be alot of fun.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well, where to begin.

Another beautiful Spring Relay at Mansfield. Was so nice not to have to deal with a muddy bike after a race for once. We did actually get a few sprinkles at some time during the course. Felt something wet hit my mouth and thought, what the hell was that? Did a bird just sh*! in my mouth?!

At my husbands nagging, I got in line without even warming up so that I could be close to the start line. Not good, as it takes me a few hours to get the blood flowing and the legs moving. I was just in front of Heather, one of my feared competitors, as she has beaten me in an 8 hour before! I knew Joe Mama was somewhere up front but wasn't too concerned about it because I didn't think I had a chance in hell of beating her. She kicked my butt in the Hot August nights last year, and she was just coming off a win at the first marathon series of the year. Yikes! This was gonna be fun.

Off we all went up that wretched first climb. A little bit of a pile up at the first bit of single track, but not too bad. The course was sweet. Talk about flow. Was feeling pretty good my first two laps and then my calf muscles felt a touch on the crampy side. What!! I don't cramp. It just doesn't happen to me. Must be from running track two days before the race. No more 100 meter dashes for me the week of a race. Lesson learned. I eased off the pace a bit, hoping to givie my legs more time to warm up.

Around my fourth lap, the heat started to get to me. My heart rate went way up for a few minutes and I almost stopped. I've been having chest pains for the last few months and they never fail to freak me out. Dr. says I'm fine but they still scare me. I took it very easy and then felt okay again.

Somewhere around my sixth or seven lap, I really wanted to quit. I wanted to quit so bad that I was hoping my tire would flat or that I would have some sort of mechanical. Then I would think, I can't, my kids both won the kids races and I just had to bring home some hardware too. Just keep pedaling. I was going so slow that the damn mosquitos were passing me.

Tried to sing a song, too find something to laugh at, anything to get my spirit up. Oh yeah, think about Jack Black and the Pick of Destiny. Hilarious. I LOVE Jack Black. Cracked off a wickedly disgusting burp and almost lost the banana I had eaten that lap. Hahahhaha. That was just nasty.

After a couple more laps my husband informed me that Joe Mama was slowing down and that if I picked up the pace more, that maybe I could catch up to her. Dream on baby. Grabbed another banana and trudged on. Matt shouted some encouragement. Thanks Matt! And a quick thanks to everyone who encouraged me on throughout the entire day. Great people out there. Good vibes.

Through the timing tent yet again. Was trying to swipe my chip on the red x on the table instead of on the pad!! Too funny. I was a complete scatterbrain by this time. I just could not focus during this race. I would feel great one minute and shattered the next.
    I was in second place, not sure how far Heather was behind me. I finally got my second wind and picked up the pace again. Thought my tenth lap was going to be my last one and was then told by my husband that I was going to do another one, there was no way I was stopping, and then Matt yelled at me to get my a$$ back on my bike. What was a woman supposed to do? Cursing them both in my head, I pedaled on. I dreaded those last few kilometers of the course after the solo pit area. And I usually love climbing. My arms were sore from all the darn ruts in the course. Mansfield seems to get bumpier every year.

All in all, a pretty good day. My goal was to podium and that was accomplished but I was disappointed in myself for not pacing myself as well as usual. My lap times are usually fairly consistent but this time they were all over the place and I suffered big time because of it.

So another race, another learning experiece to carry with me to the next one. I'm switching energy drinks for sure, and I'm really sick of bananas! It's wonderful to be against such strong solo women, who push me to ride harder then I want too!

Thanks again to Chico and the gang for a wonderful day. Sean always made me smile when I went through the timing tent, hearing all his comments about the KHS womens team and so on. An event couldn't be better run. And it was nice to get a prize this year too. I remember being quite disappointed at the summer relay last year at Hardwood when I finally got first place and didn't get a thing for it.

Hope everyone enjoyed the day as much as I did! On to the next one!
    Last edited by racergurl; 05-25-2009 at 11:26 AM. Reason: Spelling
    High on Life

mtbr member
    Nov 2008

Photos from the Event

There were a few photographers out on the trail that I imagine have some good action shots of me. Trying to figure those photographers might be (team 304) - anyone know?

ps. Full respect to those that road the event solo - I'm awed.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianB_Ontario
    There were a few photographers out on the trail that I imagine have some good action shots of me. Trying to figure those photographers might be (team 304) - anyone know?

ps. Full respect to those that road the event solo - I'm awed.
    http://www.specimage.com/

These guys are usually out taking pics which you can pay for if you want them.

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by kaikara
    These guys are usually out taking pics which you can pay for if you want them.
    Spectrum usually just does the two 24h races at Albion these days.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    Spectrum usually just does the two 24h races at Albion these days.
    Not to mention the pricing is on the high side of things for what you get...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Not to mention the pricing is on the high side of things for what you get...
    I agree with the pricey thing. Didn't realize they were just doing the 24 hour races now though.

Members who have read this thread: 0