mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Spotted - Orange 9zero7 in Milton!

Was visiting my parents today and got passed by a 2.5GT Legacy with an all Orange 907 on the roof rack! Beautiful bike - hopefully you're a member here. Let's see some pics of that thing?!!

Workin for the weekend!
    I saw that bike in Waterdown...
    Todd

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Dang - I couldn't get a great view but it looked good. Even had orange clown shoes on it.. loved it.

Workin for the weekend!
    It's the General Lee reincarnated!
    Todd

Muskoka

not the one but...

I do like Johnny Hair Boy's orange and blue 9ZERO7....

mtbr member
    That is a nice looking bike. Interesting seat post and mounting contraption. I am not familiar with it. I think it needs one more Bike Zone decal though.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'd remember if it was that beauty! But no... the mystery bike still evades us

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    Interesting seat post and mounting contraption. I am not familiar with it.
    Old school suspension post Welcome to Thudbuster.com

mtbr member
    Pretty sure "Pucker Factor" has an orange 9 Zero 7 & I believe he lives close to the Orangeville area

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Hey Meredith!
    No, mine's red, and going by the description of an "all orange" 907, that's this winter's model.

mtbr member
    thanks Circlip. I don't feel I need one on my fat bike, but it would be interesting to check it out to see how it feels. Not sure how i feel about going up an down on the seat post. Not sure how different that would be from a suspension bike.
    Burnt Norton

Warp speed, Mr. Sulu!
    Secret Agent...what's the seatpost diameter on your bike? I have a 31.6 Thudbuster you could try.

mtbr member
    I appreciate to offer, but I am simply curious. I am enjoying my new fat bike just the way it is. I like hardtails. That is all I rode until I got my first FS bike 2 seasons ago. Thanks though.
    Burnt Norton

No. Just No. Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    it would be interesting to check it out to see how it feels. Not sure how i feel about going up an down on the seat post. Not sure how different that would be from a suspension bike.
    Suspension post on HT means that when out of the saddle cranking on the pedals you would have the exact same feeling of efficiency for pedaling input as with standard post. With FS there is always some compromise some energy being lost into the suspension, although modern designs and shocks are way better with this than they used to be. The counterpoint is that if you ride not-so-groomed trails you may actually have better efficiency with the FS keeping the wheel to the ground, especially on tech climbs.

The parallelogram design of the Thudbuster is unique in that compared to a telescoping post the distance from crank spindle centre to saddle remains constant, meaning that you keep the same leg extension distance. The angle of the relationship between the pedals and saddle will change a bit, but keeping the distance constant is considered preferable from the pedaling side, compared to a telescoping suspension post with which there are always small changes from one moment to the next in the distance.

Some other companies (USE comes to mind but there were others) made telescoping suspension posts, which looked cleaner visually than the Thudbuster which was their main appeal. Obviously, the intended purpose was to give a bit of "cush" to the hardtail ride while seated. I'm not sure it's quite as relevant now with larger volume tires and lower pressures being so much more common.

mtbr member
    Thanks again. I have the 4" Dillinger tires on my bike (same ones as in the picture) and I find them pretty cushy in the snow so far. May be a whole other thing on dirt and rocks, though I would have a bit more pressure. My feeling is that they will do just fine. I like the awesome responsiveness of a fully rigid bike. I look forward to throwing it around some in the summer.
    Burnt Norton