Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Evil Jr.

Spilling Yer Beans: Your Riding Goal(s) for 2012

I usually start this thread a little later in the year but since it is the first day of December and I'm being hounded on no less than two other threads, there seems to be no time like the present.

Tell us what you hope to accomplish with your riding in 2012. No goal is too small or too funny.

In the spirit of full disclosure, I would *like* to podium in Solo 40+ at Solstice in 2012. By any measure, this is a silly goal. Erick will probably be back; Dave will be undoubtedly be very strong and Ken says he'll be back too. Plus there's always the wild card factor. All I can do is my best and the cards will fall where they may.

This would be well beyond my previous best when I was at my strongest in Under 40 and I've put on a lot of sympathy pounds but I have 7 months so bring it on!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I always read these forums and I am always amazed at the accomplishments in here. 2011 was my first year off the road (too dangerous!) and riding singletrack (even at 40+ my mantra is that it's never too late to start anything); I put over 1800kms on my bike on singletrack trails this year. I feel better than I ever have. I did both Chico 24h events and had a blast and learned a lot.

2012 - somehow manage to sneak in more time and kms on my bike even with an intense job, stupid commute and exponentially growing family commitments. 24h Solstice - do over 5 laps and have one of my laps be under an hour (don't laugh).

mtbr member
    In no particular order

1) Step on an OCUP podium this year.

2) Knock off a bunch of near by places that I've been meaning to check out, but never have (like Copeland, Ellicotville, etc)

3) Link together and ride a Hamilton 100 miler.

4) Put some time on top some wagon wheels (including a race), see what the cool-aid tastes like.

5) Ride somewhere that requires me to fly to. Write a report.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Funny thing - I hadn't really thought about this. The longer races that I most enjoy will be out. A rebuilding year like smarty? Perhaps take sunshineprincess's example and focus on SS OCups? Battle of the new moms? I expect she'll triumph...

OK - I have one - Paul's Dirty Enduro 60k. I think there's no conflict this year with Crank, in which I'll likely volunteer while Mr. Monster rides.

mtbr member

like the captain, - podium at O cup in 2012,

The Plan ---get the O cup organizers to add the 70 and over category like in P2A and I have a good chance.

Other goals might be a 100 miler on the road, maybe ride the Mount Washington climb again, and never go back to Northshore in Vancouver, because healing is much slower.

mtbr member
    Well, I had my personal best season in 2011 in terms of fitness, race results, and riding new spots, so I hope that I can improve on it by achieving the following below:

1) Start the season off ligther on the scale than in 2011. While I was my lightest ever in 2011, there's still that mid life five lbs or so that's hanging around like a bad cold. Love of food and vino in the cooler months needs to be better controled.

2) Compete for a podium position on Tuesday nights again, and hopefully defend my 1st overall in category.

3) Do more rides at Copeland, WCC Hydrocut, Hardwood, and anywhere else that's new. Changing it up keeps it exciting at new locations.

4) Introduce my boys (three year old twins) to the racing scene at the Summer Solstice. They should be two wheeling with no training wheels by then and seem very interested in doing what Daddy and their big sister has done.

5) Not have a 5-6 week setback in fitness mid season due to a virus or lack of proper rest. Not sure I have much control over this one, at least on the illness front.

6) Finish on the podium in my category again in the OCUP series more frequently making the upgrade to Expert at some point in 2012 or 2013 a no brainer.

Well, that's more than I would have thought I could come up with. Some of these are a little lofty, so I hope it's doable. Most of all, I will enjoy riding and seeing many of you here out on the trails and at events. Good times and good friends in the process is a huge part of making a season great!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    1) Do one of the epic 6 hour rides of the trails at St. Helena. Sounds easy enough, problem is these trails make Buckwallow & Porcupine Ridge look easy.

2) Do a winter ride or two at Hilton Falls. I haven't done that since I started playing hockey in the winter about 8 years ago so it'll be nice to see the guys again.

3) Kick my riding partner's butt on the local trail loop. I've only managed this feat once in my entire life, but I think I have a good chance of pulling it off next year.

4) Avoid any injuries that put me off my bike for more than a few days.

1) will be nearly impossible, 2) is a matter of me getting my lazy ass out there, 3) should be within my grasp unless my riding partner sees this and starts training like a maniac, and 4) probably won't happen unless I'm lucky or ride like a wuss.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Good coincidence, I was actually writing down my 2012 life goals last night.

I had an acceptable first Ocup year finishing 7th at Duntroon but not achieving my top 5 goal. To be honest I didn't know what to expect in my first year and to ad more pressure I upgraded to Expert after doing only one Ocup previous to that. I now know that the Master Expert is full of really fast, super commited riders but my goal for this year is to podium (doesn't need to be often, once will do).

My main goal is always to have fun and meet more great people. Hope to see alot of you at the mid-winter fitness check, also known as the Frostbike.

More than a little slow
    The only goal that I have planned so far is a good race at Solstice, I would like to be on the same lap as the winner of the solo 40+ cat at the end of 24 hours.
    Other than that I'm thinking of going for a trip to ride the Colorado Trail ....... Race?
    And I want to get up and ride 3 Stage and that venue that the provincial Ocup was at this year (the preview video looked awesome). and maybe some stuff in upstate NY.
    I also have a new frame that I keep on putting off building up ( for 2 years now !) I'd like to get that onto dirt.
    Cheers, Dave

I Strava Hamburgers
    1) Drop an additional 35lbs bringing me into my 220s. I raced all year at 245-250ish, after the last 8H my relaxed week took a nosedive right smack into the middle of a 5lb wing tray and a bucket of beer.. it was warm and cozy there so I stayed for way to long.. So 35lbs it is.

2) Actually follow a proper training/race plan leading into CTS rather then haphazardly wanting to Endurance All The Things.

3) Race SS on bigger gears.

4) Race competitively in 8s and 24s. Last year I started to really show improvement come August and September.

5) Combine the above and my ultimate goal: Finish CTS with an extremely respectable time on a SS.

6) Party a lot harder at the Misfits camp.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    1. survive the BC Bike Race
    2. not crash as much
    3. enjoy biking even more then i do right now!!
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tyh83 View Post
    2. not crash as much
    3. enjoy biking even more then i do right now!!
    don't forget Sedona
    and of course you'll enjoy it more, You've got a new bike!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyh83 View Post
    Aside from the obvious endurance aspect of BCBR, my number one tip for surviving is to get really comfortable riding woodwork. There are some looooong bridges over some deeeeep ravines in the latter part of the race where this comes in particularly handy.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone View Post
    12) Actually follow a proper training/race plan leading into CTS rather then haphazardly wanting to Endurance All The Things.
    Always worked for me...

All my faucets is Moen.
    Well since itís an Olympic year my goal is to make that team.

But if I canít I just want to have a complete year. That is, avoid any serious or nagging injuries that would keep me off the bike, stay focused and keep my fitness up for the entire summer. I havenít been able to that but if I can everything else (like keeping CptSydor off the podium ) should fall into place.

Iím looking forward to Tuesday night road races, South Carolina trip, getting the youth rides rolling again, seeing friends, local races, Batty v MHP, riding someplace new, gears, beers, night laps, 100 miler Mansfield, trail work and getting better at riding my bike.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    One simple goal: ride more.

This past year I kinda got lazy and didn't ride as much as I would have liked. I let too many little things get in the way of riding. I want to get back to pre-work rides and quick solo rides rides.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    I havenít been able to that but if I can everything else (like keeping CptSydor off the podium ) should fall into place.
    I'll be working on keeping JCR off the podium

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    As Shirk said.. ride more.

- Put more time on my bike then I do on my car.

- Build up a new CX bike finally

- Reconnect with my Tri/Du roots.

- Lose 3 inches of waist.

- add more to BHRT's.

Have others but those are secret... I will not give any ammo to my enemies.

And of course have a significant event next fall.. but we won't discuss that.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

Dorkimus Prime
    I think my state of mind is reflected in my present environment while responding to the question: drinking coffee and eating butterscottch cream pie.

Therefore:

1) Eat more butterscotch cream pie!

2) A top 1000 in the P2A would be nice. If it were about the bike - I have the bike.

3) Lose some pounds - getting to 240 would be nice, 225, I could make out with celebrities.

4) Ride HER (the Hamilton Endurance Ride). I think with CptSydor's logistics and my top flight buffoonery we could turn this into a Grand Fondo attended by thousands.

5) Use all my bikes. Sometimes my stable has been bigger than my riding, this year I want to utilize them all....
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

All my faucets is Moen.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Oh, that kind of podium. My apologies sir and best of luck to you.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    One simple goal: ride more.
    ^ this.
    And, an international trip.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    Challenge accepted! It will be a great year

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Funny thing - I hadn't really thought about this. The longer races that I most enjoy will be out. A rebuilding year like smarty? Perhaps take sunshineprincess's example and focus on SS OCups? Battle of the new moms? I expect she'll triumph...

OK - I have one - Paul's Dirty Enduro 60k. I think there's no conflict this year with Crank, in which I'll likely volunteer while Mr. Monster rides.
    I believe there wasn't suppose to be a conflict with CTS but last I heard there was a conflict with the Ganaraska and Paul's had to go back to the original weekend. But I could be wrong.

Lemmy Rules!
    To actually come up with a coherent training plan, stick to it, and see if it makes any difference to my usual half-@ssed approach.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member

my plans & goals...

Plans:
    - to do proper training, not just ride my mt. bike starting in April....
    would be nice to come up with a winter training plan soon, not doing nothing
    since Oct. 16th will not help at all....
    - work on my technical riding skills,became really one dimensional this season...
    have to mix it up a little bit; Buckwallow,3 Stage,Hilton Falls...
    - do a full marathon race,preferably the one in Kingston just to make sure I will ride that
    awesome trail system again
    - master Radical at Hardwood Hills,left a deep scar on my ego this year....

Goals:
    - I'd like to finish in the top 10 at every O-Cup
    -shave off at least 5 mins of my Singletrack Challenge time...
    -to be 0.5 km/h faster than this season

But first and most importantly, keep it fun and spend as much time on my bike as possible.

Good luck to everyone to reach their goals!!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast