Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Specialized Owns Roubaix?

Okay, when did Specialized bicycles become so wealthy they could buy up all of Roubaix from the. French? For a land dal of this magnitude you would expect to have seen a little bit of media attention.

War vet forced to change bike shop’s name after threat from Specialized | Calgary Herald

Hey what's new... they sue everyone. Shame on them for picking on the little guys. Make sure to check out the comments after that article.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I've seen people post in the past that they would never buy a Specialized product. This makes me feel the same way.
    Copyright protection laws aside, there are always several ways to deal with a situation.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Unfortunately the timing of this happening sucks. I say that as in less then a week 4 Canadian soldiers with PTSD have commited suicide.

Lemmy Rules!
    I have reached out to Roubaix Cycles and offered my legal services pro bono. I hate bullies.
    Strava made me do it....

ups and downs
    Of special note is that it is called Cafe Roubaix Bicycles, I wonder how many hotels, restaurants and plumbing services that Specialized has sued in Roubaix?

And then Fuji just goes ahead and straight out names their bikes Roubaix.

Fuji Bikes | ROAD | COMPETITION SERIES | ROUBAIX 1.5
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    I have reached out to Roubaix Cycles and offered my legal services pro bono. I hate bullies.
    If this is true, you're my man crush for 2014. Oggie is so 2013.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Specialized has shown a pattern over the years.... Epic Designs now Revelate as well comes to mind.

Like anything people will tolerate behavior like this to a certain point. And Specialized based on previous public response was definitely not expecting this level of hostile response. In this case their target being a veteran was enough.

The Café Roubaix is now getting orders from as far away as New Zealand.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    Er thanks I think?
    Strava made me do it....

ups and downs
    Not to mention the earlier Mountain Cycle/Specialized Stumptown saga. They're prepared to defend words that aren't even the ones they use.

Specialized, Mountain Cycle disagree on "Stumptown" | BikePortland.org

Jude Kirstein should have relabeled her wheels Epique or Epik,

Nice day for a ride.....
    Yep, fawk the big S. I've been boycotting them for years now. Time to throw the few Specialized odds and ends laying the bottom of the spare parts bucket into the trash.

I also went ahead and ordered a Cafe Roubaix tee shirt.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bikin' Bric View Post
    Yep, fawk the big S. I've been boycotting them for years now. Time to throw the few Specialized odds and ends laying the bottom of the spare parts bucket into the trash.

I also went ahead and ordered a Cafe Roubaix tee shirt.
    Who will be Lap Dogs water bottle sponsor for 2014 now?

Er thanks I think?
    Won't 14 Stone be jealous?

ups and downs
    Interesting that the Roubaix trademark registration in Canada is for the singular use of that word and only for bike equipment such as frames and components, handlebars, front fork and bicycle tires.

Doesn't mention modifiers like Cafe or bicycle shops.

And it's unlikely that people would confuse the two, as one is a small bicycle shop in a small town west of Calgary, well off the Trans Canada Highway and another is a giant litigation-happy corporation full of lawyers with nothing better to do that file nuisance law suits against people who actually made an effort to avoid trademark infringement issues when they registered the name by adding Cafe to it.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    awww... but in this case - i am not hurt... unglued is da man.

specialized should not do this.
    Signature

No. Just No. Moderator
    Nice - thanks U-G'd. This could get interesting if a few more like-minded lawyers in addition to yourself get the same hankering to help. It would be very cool if Specialized had to back off because the tables got turned and they couldn't afford to fight against a community-based legal effort.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by rockyuphill View Post
    Interesting that the Roubaix trademark registration in Canada is for the singular use of that word and only for bike equipment such as frames and components, handlebars, front fork and bicycle tires.

Doesn't mention modifiers like Cafe or bicycle shops.

And it's unlikely that people would confuse the two, as one is a small bicycle shop in a small town west of Calgary, well off the Trans Canada Highway and another is a giant litigation-happy corporation full of lawyers with nothing better to do that file nuisance law suits against people who actually made an effort to avoid trademark infringement issues when they registered the name by adding Cafe to it.
    wow... Specialized has already lost the lawsuit in the court of public opinion. Their Facebook page is getting hammered.

They can still do the right thing and drop the lawsuit. I hope they do.
    Signature

Nice day for a ride.....
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    wow... Specialized has already lost the lawsuit in the court of public opinion. Their Facebook page is getting hammered.

Hopefully so but it looks like alot of damage has already been done to their reputation.
    2012 Norco CCX3
    2014 Nashbar Fatbike

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post

From the veteran angle....well, sure isn't looking good for Specialized. So while Specialized goes after a veteran. Trek Bicycles has been taking a different path...

Pedal Dancer®: Wounded Warrior Project

Trek for 7 years has been supporting the Wounded Warrior Project. Sponsors veterans who race. And if I recall correctly the veteran who completed the Leadville 100 who lost his arms, Trek helped him out with the bike if I recall correctly.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

I build my own.
    It appears that Dan Richter could win a lawsuit. Unfortunately being as small as he is & having other things to worry about is why he's not fighting it. Also unfortunately Specialized's lawyers have nothing better to do than track down and harass anyone they find who might be infringing on their trademarks. Lots of big corporations do this. They win some and lose some. The lawyers? They always win no matter what the outcome.
    I have a device that can access the total knowledge of man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and argue with strangers.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Trail Ninja View Post
    It appears that Dan Richter could win a lawsuit. Unfortunately being as small as he is & having other things to worry about is why he's not fighting it. Also unfortunately Specialized's lawyers have nothing better to do than track down and harass anyone they find who might be infringing on their trademarks. Lots of big corporations do this. They win some and lose some. The lawyers? They always win no matter what the outcome.
    by now Dan must have realized that if he chooses to fight - he could EASILY collect required defense funds by starting an internet campaign. I also hope that Specialized would realize that this fight ain't worth fighting and find a way to amicably resolve the issue (preferred way).

the power of pissed people should not be underestimated...
    Signature

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    The lack of any response so far by Specialized is curious. Is everyone off for the weekend?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast