mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Southern ONTARIO riding?

Hey, I live in Southern Ontario, Ancaster/Hamilton, and wanted to know of any good spots to ride. I primarily ride Dundas Valley Conservation area, and its definitely good, but id like to change it up. Thanks.

sru
    mtbr member
    Search is your friend, so is Rider Mel.

Lots of riding to be had. Just gotta spend some time here.

mtbr member
    Searching is good. Places near Hamilton / Ancaster include that you can look up

Dundas Valley. If you are new to riding the area, I can promise you there is great riding you never new of.

Iroqois Heights has a little riding up on the Hamilton Mountain.

Some good riding on the east mountain heading out on the Bruce trail. Search Dewitt Road

Trails within 45 minutes driving.
    Waterdown (actually you can ride out there).
    Short Hills PP (St. Kitts)
    Punslinch (Cambridge)
    Hydrocut (Waterloo)
    Guelph Lake Conservation (Guelph)
    Hilton Falls (Milton)
    Kelso Conservation (Milton)

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    If you can get to Hydrocut in 45 minutes...i want a ride....i've only ever seen one porsche with a bike rack.

mtbr member
    But how many Subaru's do you see with bike racks?

Alright, it's 90 km, so you are looking an hour (which I did driving completely with the flow of traffic Saturday morning from the East Mountain).

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by teebor76xc
    If you can get to Hydrocut in 45 minutes...i want a ride....i've only ever seen one porsche with a bike rack.
    Hey, not to go off topic. But I read your blog. Congrats!!!

I have 3 kids...so to answer your questions.

yes,yes,yes,yes,don't know, blue(answer the 2nd question, if not wait...LOL), YES!, no, A Big time Yes again. It's a journey....enjoy.

mtbr member

St. Catharines trails

Just rode today (Aug 12) in St. Cath. In my opinion, it would be worth the ride from Hamilton / Ancaster. Started at Montebello Pk, along the 12, up to and through Short Hills, up to Brock U, and back down along the 12. Trails were good, a few muddy spots going through Short Hills, but no need to worry, the mud will wash off.
    There are also good trails in Port Colborne, a little farther for you, but... worth the drive also.
    I have ridden in Dundas Conservation and along the rail trail when I worked in Ancaster - but did not like the trails, just my opinion.
    Will be heading up to Kelso in Milton in the next few weeks, it'll be my first time.
    Have rode sections of the Bruce Trail - from Beamsville through Grimsby (I live in Grimsby). It was more of a hike with my bike on my shoulder, than actual good terrain for 'biking, but not sure if I was on the right 'track' or not. I have heard of good trails up on the Bruce, in this area, I just have not found them - yet.

Hope this helps, or at least gives a little insight.

Stu

GAME ON!
    i'm in hamilton... not too much around here.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

bi-winning
    I spend much of the year in Ancaster.

I do most of my trail riding at Iriquois Heights and Dundas Valley, as they are really close by.

Waterdown is just a little farther, and has some really fun trails.

Check out the Hamilton Endurance Ride thread if you have not already.
    Hamilton Endurance Ride - July 11th

Also, here are some pictures from Iriquois Heights / Bruce Trail
    Farewell Ancaster - Lots of PICTURES

Many sections of the Bruce trail can be integrated into a fun ride.

And yes, St. Catharines has a lot of really fun trails by the 12 mile creek, in Shorthills PP, and behind Brock University.

Here are some pictures from St. Catharines:
    Over 100km and over 50 pictures: How I spent Canada Day.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by StuKerr
    Have rode sections of the Bruce Trail - from Beamsville through Grimsby (I live in Grimsby). It was more of a hike with my bike on my shoulder, than actual good terrain for 'biking, but not sure if I was on the right 'track' or not. I have heard of good trails up on the Bruce, in this area, I just have not found them - yet.
    You need to go on the West side of Dewitt rd. for anything rideable. The East side of Dewitt is brutal.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I think the dundas conservation area has a lot more than just the main trails. I have spent some time exploring this summer and there are a lot of unmarked single track running in the valley. This is especially true when you get on the big headwaters trail loop. Stop by the trail centre to grab a waterproof map that will have all the main trails plus the secondary trails on it. The best single track will not be on the map though so some exploring is needed.

The main trails in Dundas conservation area are great for training but not so much for techincal riding. But you can spend a lot of time in there if you want. The marked main trails are 40km worth plus all of the little pieces of single track.

The hamilton/ancaster riding might not be techincally the best but it is great to be able to get on a bike and ride without having to drive to a set of trails.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor
    Punslinch (Cambridge)
    PuNslinch? Is that where you have to tell bad one-liner jokes while riding?
    I'll keep that in mind as I'm riding there today.

Seriously though, all those listed are great I enjoy them all. If I had to pick a fab, I'd have to say Hydrocut. Those are some fantastic trails! Looking forward to riding them this weekend.
    I love riding my bike!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by norm
    You need to go on the West side of Dewitt rd. for anything rideable. The East side of Dewitt is brutal.
    The whole trail between Saint Catherines and Hamilton is pretty good riding, with the sole exception of a 6-8km section in that exact spot.

If you're heading east, you'll cross DeWitt, McNeilly, 50 Road and then Woolverton each 1.5kms. Each trail section gets progressively harder-going after each road crossing...until you finally climb up on the clifftop near Woolverton. Thereafter, it's great trail.

The DeWitt > McNeilly section degrades suddenly. At one point, the trail hits a particularly nasty stretch...and then it gets better again if you plow on through. It's extremely discouraging. The toughest section is probably the 50 > Wollverton stretch, but one section in the DeWitt > McNeilly is probably about as bad as it gets. Basically, don't give up. Push the bike for 5-10 minutes and it improves.

Basically, the trail sucks for riding right around Grimsby.

That tough section, at the worst, features long stretches of trail which are under 30% rideable...long tricky portages with major rockfall and obstacles on a narrow track scaling a steep sidehill. The kind of trail where your bike is still hitting rocks if it's up on your shoulder. Basically scrambling and clambering.

It's easy enough to ride until you encounter too much frustration, and then jump out onto the Ridge Road and ride that to bypass the remaining tough areas and finally head back in starting at Woolverton Road. From there all the way to Saint Catherines, the trail is pretty good. Very very scenic and some nice techy spots.

If you're heading west towards Hamilton, I have a feeling that the "portage sections" are probably more do-able as the general trend is downhill and the obstacles are lower on the near side. There are definititely some DH tire tracks that I've seen in amongst the rockfall. But it's burly.

There's a couple of challenging navigation issues as you get nearer to Saint Catharines (more sidetrails and poorly blazed main route). There's a pretty tedious hike-a-bike section after a long fun trail descent near the Ball's Falls conservation area which adds a needless full-escarpment climb that isn't rideable (cut steps and wooden staircases etc.). The rest is almost 100% rolling.

There are a couple of wineries directly on the trail. I've been long meaning to make a winery tour out of this ride. The wineries have giant outdoor patios (with a view) and are basically full-on restaurants. The view is of the Toronto skyline and you're like 50 stories up on the top of the escarpment. I thought it would be easy to park my bike at an outside table.

Offhand, I think EastDell Estates, Organized Crime, Hidden Bench are all plopped right on the trail. Anybody have any lunch recommendations?

The entire trip out to Short Hills and back is over 120km and has less than 3000 ft of climbing, so actually pretty flat -- less than a 30km loop in Dundas! Depending on road options and bypasses, it can be nearly 100% singletrack trail or as little as 70%.

In comparison, there's far more trail heading east than west, and east is more rideable overall. The trail between Hamilton and Hilton Falls is probably under 50% singletrack and over 20% road, the rest being doubletrack, cart path, ski trails and wide forest path. There's just as much portage to the west, but it's less concentrated and harder to skip around...like each identifiable section will have a heinous portage smack in the middle that you can't bypass. That kind of thing. Going east, it's real skinny singletrack and lots of fun.
    Last edited by lukey; 08-17-2009 at 10:10 AM.