mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Some Questions about Albion

Hi Everyone,

I've got a team signed up for the 24hr relay on the 22nd at Albion. We're a group from Ottawa, so we're all accustomed to the rooty, rocky stuff that exists in places like Camp Fortune, Kanata Lakes, and of course, Gatineau Park. I did a few 24 relays back in the 90's, and my memory of them is that they were flatter and much less rough than what I normally see locally. These were all at Hardwood Hills (97 and 99), with the exception of Beaver Valley in '95 (that was a hell of a good climb as I recall!).

Anyway, what can we expect at Albion? Any suggestions for bikes? HT or Trail bike? Anyone from ottawa able to make some comparisons?

Thanks
    Last edited by nth_dimension; 08-06-2009 at 06:55 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nth_dimension
    ...we're all accustomed to the rooty, rocky stuff that exists in places like Camp Fortune, Kanata Lakes, and of course, Gatineau Park. Anyway, what can we expect at Albion? Any suggestions for bikes? HT or Trail bike?
    Albion Hills trails are almost completely rock free, save from a few man-made rock gardens, no bigger than the lenght of your bike. Really, not even worth mentioning. We have some very rocky trails around here, like Hilton Falls (that you can read about in a few recent postings), and I would say Albion is like 2 to 10 on technical difficulty scale in comparison.
    There are roots, but nothing that would jump to mind first when trying to describe Albion's terrain in a few sentences, imo. You begin to notice them when riding in wet conditions though, for sure
    It's mostly hardpack, fast and flowy xc trails, with a nice mix of short ups and downs. Only a few "out of the saddle" kind of climbs.
    I would say bring a hardtail, no question. Many of the local riders ride and race on rigid bikes, and they do great.

Arek

mtbr member

Albion Video Footage

If you want to get a good idea what the terrain's like, you could register (it's free) at RaceDayRush.com and visit the mountainbike link...I have helmetcammed 4-5 videos that are up on that page...Hope it helps.

Cheers,

Neil

Hi Everyone,

I've got a team signed up for the 24hr relay on the 22nd at Albion. We're a group from Ottawa, so we're all accustomed to the rooty, rocky stuff that exists in places like Camp Fortune, Kanata Lakes, and of course, Gatineau Park. I did a few 24 relays back in the 90's, and my memory of them is that they were flatter and much less rough than what I normally see locally. These were all at Hardwood Hills (97, 98, and 99), with the exception of Beaver Valley in '95 (that was a hell of a good climb as I recall!).

Anyway, what can we expect at Albion? Any suggestions for bikes? HT or Trail bike? Anyone from ottawa able to make some comparisons?

Thanks
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Looking for Adventure
    Hi Everyone,

I've got a team signed up for the 24hr relay on the 22nd at Albion. We're a group from Ottawa, so we're all accustomed to the rooty, rocky stuff that exists in places like Camp Fortune, Kanata Lakes, and of course, Gatineau Park. I did a few 24 relays back in the 90's, and my memory of them is that they were flatter and much less rough than what I normally see locally. These were all at Hardwood Hills (97, 98, and 99), with the exception of Beaver Valley in '95 (that was a hell of a good climb as I recall!).

Thanks
    Comparable to the easy to intermediate trails at Hardwood, without the roots. Don't bother with a full suspension bike. Learn to corner at high speed, according to the local experts.
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Many of the local riders ride and race on rigid bikes, and they do great.
    Seriously? The last time I rode a rigid mountain bike was on a Trek 970, somewhere around 1992!

veldrijder
    Meh, I raced my rigid bike at Buckwallow and didn't do significantly worse than I do on smoother courses relative to my peers. It's not about the bike...

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Understood.

Thanks for the replies everyone!

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Learn to corner at high speed, according to the local experts.
    Zing!

Anyhow, there will be a strong contingent of riders on rigid single-speeds at Hot August Nights as there is every year. It's really all you need at Albion in a simple reliable package!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

No. Just No. Moderator
    Trails, shmails. If you bring your trail bike, and build a big enough ramp you can probably clear the entire tree canopy with one massive huck, plus throw in some stylin' tricks at the same time;

This Thread Is Not About Albion Hills

It's not shortcutting if your tires never actually touch the ground between the start and finish line. Fastest lap evah.