Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

So who rode their bike today?

Every year spring there is one day where the weather really picks up and we get treated with a mild, sunny day. Everyone rushes to the outdoors: people doing yard work, parents taking their kids for a walk, birds chanting, and tons of cyclists on the road. This year, today was that day.

Who used the opportunity to go for a bike ride? What kind of a ride did you do? How did you feel? What did you notice?

I personally went for my first road ride of the year and put it in a few hours. Having done 900k on the trainer leading up to this, I mostly noticed how much more effort varies on a real road as opposed to a trainer. Even though there are not real "mountains" here in Ontario, I always found myself having to shift to adjust to changing gradient. On the trainer, its more like "set it and forget it".

Sir Hurt Locker
    Unfortunately I had to work all day so I didn't make it out for a ride. But I have already gone biking more than a dozen times this year so it wouldn't have been my first ride. This weather is gorgeous though and I can't wait for the remaining snow on the trails to melt!!
    Cheers,

Seb

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Okay,
    On the road for about 1.5 hrs in Mississauga. Down Cawthra from Matheson to Lakeshore and up Mississauga Rd north to Streetsville and back along Bristol to HWY 10.
    All in all about 36km. Beautiful day, and got to work out my tight left knee. Tons of people out along the marina area in Port Credit.
    Also installed my new Michelin Pro Race 2's just before I left and they feel awesome.

Tomorrow should be another nice day to ride also, just too bad no trail riding for at least a couple more weeks and that's only if the weather holds up

Cheers all.

rad to the power of sick
    If you want to ride, do not get a job at a bike shop.

Unfortunately quality of ride weather is directly proportional to number of customers going to bike shops.

I got called in to work...

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    It was touch and go wether I'd get a ride in today........ tons of errrands, kids.... = life

Moral of the story = start early (7am), got done about 3pm = 33.5 miles in some pretty nice (wore shorts) weather

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by Dmytro
    Every year spring there is one day where the weather really picks up and we get treated with a mild, sunny day. Everyone rushes to the outdoors: people doing yard work, parents taking their kids for a walk, birds chanting, and tons of cyclists on the road. This year, today was that day.

Who used the opportunity to go for a bike ride? What kind of a ride did you do? How did you feel? What did you notice?

I personally went for my first road ride of the year and put it in a few hours. Having done 900k on the trainer leading up to this, I mostly noticed how much more effort varies on a real road as opposed to a trainer. Even though there are not real "mountains" here in Ontario, I always found myself having to shift to adjust to changing gradient. On the trainer, its more like "set it and forget it".

I raced the tour of Pelham. It was excellent. I felt a lot better than I expected. I noticed that I love racing
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by rkj__
    I raced the tour of Pelham. It was excellent. I felt a lot better than I expected. I noticed that I love racing
    I was there too. This was my first race of the year. It was fun and excellent. Lots of mud and speed and beautiful scenery. I got kind of messed up in the end though. I didn't realize I was near the finish and had four guys on my wheel and then all of a sudden they started to hammer and I looked up and saw the tent for the end and thought damn! I was saving myself and had some left at the end for a sprint finish.

I was kind of surprised how fast it went and was actually expecting it to be longer and harder (although it was still hard work).

I wonder when the results will be posted and how many people where there. I ended up 24th.

Can't wait for Paris to Ancaster! I might borrow somebody's cross bike though because I couldn't get enough speed in the open roads and there'll be plenty of that in this race.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I went out today for a 3.5 hour ride, the time just flew by. I bought a khs solo one SS 29er this winter so I took it out for it's first real ride since my xc rig has been acting up on me.
    The thing actually rides really well and is alot of fun, it is also felt alot better than I thought it would for a fully rigid, seems like the 29" tires really help with bumps and stuff. I can't wait to give it a shot on the trails, stuff was too muddy so I had to stick to the road and gravel trails.

Tomorrow is supposed to be just as gorgeous and I was really looking forward to going out on the road bike, but unfortunately near the end of my ride my right leg unclipped from my pedal as I was about to stand to sprint and it bashed right into the brake/handlebar. It's not bruised but the muscle is swollen and it is really painful when I extend or bend my leg, I don't think riding back home after smashing it helped much. Today I learnt that I need to check release tension before riding on pedals that I bought used.

nimble biker
    I rode my bike today on lakeshore goodmartin trail. This is a warm up exercise for the summer. My muscles have gone soft in the winter.

dirt roadie
    I got a friend riding a road bike (before he rode an old MTB way too big for him). We went for a decent ride. It's definitely nice to be able to ride without a balaclava, ski gloves, and booties, but I managed to get a nice sunburn on my neck and face
    Here we are posing for a group shot:

Tomorrow, I'm finding my sunblock, then going for a solo road ride.

mtbr member
    5 hours on the road. It was awesome not wearing 4 layers of clothing. Will be another 4 hours today.

Get out and ride!!!!!!!!!!!

mtbr member
    Yesterday I trained indoors (but I was 3 hours on the bike). In the afternoon I went walking with my wife in Unionville and it was just beautiful. I wanted to kick myself for missing an outdoor ride.

Today I am going on the road.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    went out for 1.5 hrs myself the other day and I kid you not...the trainer is no substitute for real riding. Was out on the road today and seeing a lot of cyclist on mississauga rd.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I took my son for his first bike ride yesterday. Picked up a nice rear bike seat and took him all over toronto. We saw police horses (obviously the high light) , motor cycles, police cars and fire trucks. My favorite part was him saying "zoom faster daddy"

was easily the best bicycle ride I have had in a very long time.

Muskoka

I love this transition...

...finished the xc-ski season at Horseshoe with a glorious sunny day of skate skiing with perfect trail conditions last Saturday. Then this Sat & Sun started road riding under sunny skies and low teens temps. My favourite spring road ride is this rural road along which I live.. between Gravenhurst & Bracebridge, just west of Buckwallow. This scenic ride is nice on a sunny day with dry road, but mounds of snow rising up on the hills on either side. Makes it sort of other worldly. Nice breeze comes off all that melting snow too. Saw 5 deer grazing together very close to the road edge. Of course when I stopped to get a pic, they quickly moved off. But I did get a snap of the snowmobiler playing with open water at the mouth of the river. A popular activity this time of the year , watched one go down last spring

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I went for a ride on my street to try if the bike is working fine. I've spent 4 hr's that day working on the thing. Stripped all the parts off the frame, cleaned it all up, repacked all bearings, changed shock oil and found that my handle bar is cracked - good thing.. Just ordered a new one that should be here before the next weekend. I also got some new tires

mtbr member
    Did a nice 2 hour 50 km jaunt on the roadie yesterday, following by 40km that I am stinking from still as I type. Great week for riding overall. Managed to put in 160kms in the past five days...Pretty soon, well be able to hit the dirt...But yes, many folks came out of hibernation this weekend.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I was riding In Hamilton on the Chedoke Rail trail and surrounding area. I have already put a few rides in this year but these were the longest rides so far The trails are very messy now. I was out on Tuesday and it was still cool enough that I was able to ride all the way up the escarpment. Today and yesterday it was warm enough that everything turned to slush so it made for real messy riding. So I rode where I could and then ran the stairs a few time.

Here were some pics from last Tuesday - ahhh springtime in Canada.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    My numbers are slightly different than yours as we start/end in different parts of town and I tacked on a few extra km on the end of today's ride to push me over the 50km threshold. Today's total for me was 50.9km, yesterday was 53.03km.

Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister
    Did a nice 2 hour 50 km jaunt on the roadie yesterday, following by 40km that I am stinking from still as I type. Great week for riding overall. Managed to put in 160kms in the past five days...Pretty soon, well be able to hit the dirt...But yes, many folks came out of hibernation this weekend.
    Links to justify the monies spent on technogadgets...

today: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=5333984

yesterday: http://trail.motionbased.com/trail/i...kValue=5333983
    Jouko

Space for rent...
    40K on Sat and Sun on my road bike. It's funny, all winter you see perhaps one or two guys on the road. Weather warms up a couple of degrees and Steeles turns into the 401
    It's only pain......

NormalNorm
    I did a 45km road ride today. Nice to get out. Windy though.

Hey Kaikara, i drove by the Wentworth rail trail today and it looked clear.....finally.

mtbr member
    I was at my son's place near Sharbot Lake, still 2' of snow on the ground there. Went snowboarding at Calbogie yesterday, it was great!!
    Will be back to riding to work tomorrow, gotta find my stuff and get it ready! (Haven't ridden to work since January and only 1 short mtb ride in March) gotta get on the bike!!

mtbr member
    phelan: ... went out for 1.5 hrs myself the other day and I kid you not...the trainer is no substitute for real riding.

Personally I don't find outdoor riding harder than the trainer. It really depends on the workout I am doing. I went out today for a 2.5 hour ride (64km) on my new Superfly (the road bike still has the trainer tire on it). With all the hills and the crazy wind, I got a great workout.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by serious
    Personally I don't find outdoor riding harder than the trainer.
    I find that climbing an actual hill is hard to replicate on my trainer. Maybe I need higher gearing? Regardless, the flywheel stores some energy and has a tendency to keep spinning, whereas when climbing, it feels like you have to push every inch of the way.

Perhaps that is just the nature of the Kurt Kinetic trainer. It is not adjustable, and has a relatively large flywheel. It simulates riding a FLAT road very well, but as i said, i cannot get the same feeling as climbing a hill.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

veldrijder
    I find the same about the trainer (a Kurt Kinetic in my case) - pretty accurate simulation of resistance on flat ground, but there's no way to do "hills". I find there's no need to do hill training in the winter though - lots of base and the occasional interval workout seems fine to me.

Today was the first 120 km day on the road and it feels great to get out. The weather has been great, but all the sand on the road makes corners a bit sketchy still.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast