Thread: Sled Trails??

mtbr member
    Dec 2013

Sled Trails??

Hi Everyone

Picking up a couple of fat bikes in a week or two. We live in the Kawartha's North East of Peterborough, seconds on a bike from the sled trails. Do fellow riders use the sled trails in Ontario? I know it is illegal to 4 wheel on them even when they are on crown land.

Any info would be great, thanks.

Cheers, Bill

mtbr member
    I to live in kawartha lakes. Google ofsc and trail rules, you will find that you are not permitted to use them with your bike. That being said I ride on them with my fat bike. See Get Legal.
    BBB (big beautiful bike)

mtbr member
    Used to do this 20 years ago in Sudbury. Trails were packed hard as tarmac, no Fatbike required.
    "What is this? A center for ants?"

Evil Jr.
    Legality aside, snowmobiles can come up on you REALLLY fast on the trail so keep your wits about you. And yes, I've done it too...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Muskoka
    Some clubs groom multi-use trails for sledding, there are several in my part of Muskoka, including the Trans-Canada Trail. Its multi use so you can fatbike, ski, ride your horse etc and the sledders can't say ****...although some will try because they are ignorant of the facts. Those are the trails that I use. Sled trails that cross private property with the landowners permission, you are trespassing without the owners permission. That said, the only person that can actually charge you is the landowner him or herself. The above was clarified for me by the OPP. BTW...I have rarely if ever gotten "attitude" from sledders but I move well over and out of their way. The trails I ride do not see a lot of traffic and I tend to avoid peek weekends. The lakes are good riding since sleds run up and down them constantly, and there are lots of non-club trails that are kept open just by sleds going through. These are often the best of all for riding...not so churned up, the Trans Canada Pipeline is a good example in my area.
    And like Garage Monster says, stay alert as sleds can come up fast and with tires crunching on snow and wearing a snowboarding helmet with built in ear muffs, hearing isn't the best!!

mtbr member
    Up in the mansfield area we have done a ride from Mansfield to Creemore (Pub) and came across a trail patrol rider, he looked at us funny, waved, and continued on his way.
    Sledder do come up fast for sure, but like BlackCanoeDog mentions we have never had an issue with sledders either, more of them are curious as to what we are riding on the trails.
    Team Van Go
    Santa Cruz Heckler
    Rocky Mountain Element 70
    Salsa Mukluk - Fat Bike!
    http://www.teamvango.ca

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Like BCD said, just multi-use trails. Make sure you stay on the right side of the trail. A bike would be hard to see(no head lights) on a low light day if you were on the wrong side of the trail.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I'm likely one of the few members on here that ride sleds too (maybe not though), and I can tell you that you need to be cautious. I do hate seeing ATV's on the trails I pay for with my permit dollars because they wreck the grooming, but as a fellow MTBR, I can't see how a fatty would ruin the trail at all for a sled. However, I will also tell you that many of us sledders enjoy riding a touch over the 50km/h speed limit, especially on the open trails like ex-railbeds or "multi-use trails" as BCD spoke of. I have personally come close on more than one occasion to taking out a person and his dogs on a dog sledding team, simply because he was in the middle of the trail around a blind corner and I was going more than 50km/h (nobody does that limit!!!). So, if you are going to ride your fatty out on a sled trail, be much more worried about being hit than being yelled at or charged. I hope this doesn't come across like I'm a speeding maniac, but reality is that most guys/gals with 130, 140, 150 upwards of 200HP sleds don't do 50km/h and on the "highway trails", those sleds like to get opened up and if you are around a corner when someone's coming at 50+ MPH, there isn't a lot of time to get out of the way. Be safe.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    Thinking about picking up a Norco here, and will be in Peterborough area this week. Any good trails to ride and where do I catch them?

Sent from my GT-N8010 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Dec 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sportster44 View Post
    Thinking about picking up a Norco here, and will be in Peterborough area this week. Any good trails to ride and where do I catch them?

Peterborough has a trail that runs through it up to Lakefield, all purpose. After that its the sled trails north of the city itself.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    OK, I'll try to catch that this week. Bigfoot is in the truck waiting to go.