Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: rumour mill...?

  1. #1
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    826

    rumour mill...?

    I recently heard that the 2008 Great Lake to Lake Classic will be the last one the organizers will be having.
    Anyone else hear that... anyone confirm this?

    If so it will be sad to see it go, I know some on here won't agree with my thoughts but the race has become some what of a tradition, at least for me and many others I know.



    Maybe it's time for some of the "Other" Bike Shops in the Golden Horseshoe area to step up and hold a few Races.
    Last edited by PUBCRAWL; 12-20-2007 at 07:54 AM.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Dover's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    481
    that would be a big hit to the community. I've actually never done that race. (its always conflicted with work functions) but I know lots of people who've really enjoyed it.
    isnt it the st catherines cycling club that organizes that race?

    lets hope the romours arent true/

  3. #3
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Dover
    isnt it the st catherines cycling club that organizes that race?
    I don't believe that this is the case.
    The organizers are The Great Lake To Lake Events Inc. and I though Steve Bauer was involved in it at one time. I know he use to start the race every year not sure if he did it this year or not.

    That Race (along with the other local races held every year) has (have) to be a "shot" in the arm for the local bike stores in Niagara with 1000 plus riders and the support they need.
    Last edited by PUBCRAWL; 12-21-2007 at 05:11 AM.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by PUBCRAWL
    I don't believe that this is the case.
    The organizers are The Great Lake To Lake Events Inc. and I though Steve Bauer was involved in it at one time. I know he use to start the race every year not sure if he did it this year or not.

    That Race (along with the other local races held every year) has (have) to be a "shot" in the are for the local bike stores in Niagara with 1000 plus riders and the support they need.
    I think he did, although I've done it every year since 2003, so I might be mistaken. I really hope this rumour is not true. It is a great race, but with point-to-point, I'm sure its a lot of work, $$$, and a logistical noghtmare too.

  5. #5
    Avenger of Evil
    Reputation: 1440Brad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    578
    When does registration usually open up for the Lake to Lake event?
    Events online .ca does not list it as one of their events.

    Things that make you go hmmmmmmm.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: PedalOctaneManager's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    124
    things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......what a gay song that was from C&C music factory
    BURN IT UP >>>>>>>>PEDALOCTANE>>>>>>>

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bagpipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    554
    Quote Originally Posted by PedalOctaneManager
    things that make you go hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.......what a gay song that was from C&C music factory

    I've heard the gay song before but I never knew the name of the group that sang it. Thanks for putting that in my head for the rest of the day.

    I for one will be very sad if this is the last one however I'm not sure why somebody would put a lid on an event that gets 1000 plus people involved each year.

    As for sign up, when does that start? I'm normally about the 749th person to sign up for the t-shirts but this year I want to be organized ........... and be 748th.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

  8. #8
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpipes
    As for sign up, when does that start? I'm normally about the 749th person to sign up for the t-shirts but this year I want to be organized ........... and be 748th.

    I've emailed the organizers asking when the 2008 registration would open...
    no reply yet.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    846

    Good news

    It's a go for this year (although I may miss it for the first time since 2002 to do the Ganaraska Gear Grinder)

    From the OCA website

    www.ontariocycling.org

    events Calendar/All Race Schedule/June

    MTB - XC Jun.15.2008 Tim Hortons 10th Annual Lake to Lake MTB Classic Niagara Region more info

  10. #10
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    826

    2008 Lake To lake

    Looks like the 2008 Lake To Lake is official now.
    Date confirmation now on their website, nothing about when registration opens though.
    http://www.laketolake.ca/

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  11. #11
    Custom User Title
    Reputation: Bill Payer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    233
    I guess they finally made enough to retire.

    was it $40 or $50 per head? about 1000 or more riders... I think $40,000 or $50,000 would cover the cost of some T-shirts and buy the volunteers some donuts.
    "an inch an hour...two feet per day..."

  12. #12
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    826
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Payer
    I guess they finally made enough to retire.

    was it $40 or $50 per head? about 1000 or more riders... I think $40,000 or $50,000 would cover the cost of some T-shirts and buy the volunteers some donuts.


    I think the cost to run this are quite a bit more than just that.

    Both the Parks (H.H. Knoll & Lakeside Park) cost money to use, the Cities involved do not let these get used for free.
    Along with that the cost of each NRP Police Officer used during the race for escort or at road crossing cost money as well and there are a lot of them.

    The cost of food to feed everyone is also a expense to consider.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  13. #13
    Student
    Reputation: [CrazyRick_11]'s Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    823
    Will it be missed?
    [SIZE="3"]The secret to mountain biking is pretty simple. The slower you go the more likely it is you'll crash. ~Julie Furtado[/SIZE]

  14. #14
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    Quote Originally Posted by [CrazyRick_11]
    Will it be missed?
    With the reintroduction of the Ganaraska Gear Grinder on the same day, I think the answer for many will be no. I know that is what I'll do if the L2L doesn't happen.

    Sure, there is some fondness attached to a local race in Niagara, and it was certainly a family oriented event, but it wasn't a course that will be missed by many. I still feel the Squeezer is the quintessential Niagara region MTB event and course.

  15. #15
    mtbr member
    Reputation: i_owe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    19
    I for one would miss this it and possibly some of the roughly 850 plus other people that take part in this event.

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bagpipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    554
    I'd miss it for sure but I would be happier if it wasn't on Father's day every year.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation: ddakin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    443
    I'm in the exact same boat. I've never done the race because it's on Father's Day. There are more important things on that day than racing.

    Dan

  18. #18
    *R*O*W*Y*C*O*
    Reputation: PUBCRAWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    826
    I'll miss it if it ends this year.

    What I won't miss though is the rutted sections through Dain City / Welland.

    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakin
    I'm in the exact same boat. I've never done the race because it's on Father's Day. There are more important things on that day than racing.

    Dan
    Speaking as a father of three, father's day is a perfect day for race. Last year my 6 year old son presented me with a new technical shirt for father's day on which he wrote Happy Father's Day and drew a picture of a hockey rink. I wore it for the race and had many people comment on it, including right after I crossed the line. Of course, I did put a few holes in it 5 minutes into the race when I skidded into a post as the race was leaving the asphalt and funneling into the first singletrack.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Payer
    I guess they finally made enough to retire.

    was it $40 or $50 per head? about 1000 or more riders... I think $40,000 or $50,000 would cover the cost of some T-shirts and buy the volunteers some donuts.
    Actually, I think that Tim Hortons probably supplies the donuts for free, so it's all profit!

    Maybe an entrepreneurial spirit like Bill Payer will jump on this golden goose and make a killing in 2009 if the original organizers retire to their island in the Caribbean.

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    With the reintroduction of the Ganaraska Gear Grinder on the same day, I think the answer for many will be no. I know that is what I'll do if the L2L doesn't happen.

    Sure, there is some fondness attached to a local race in Niagara, and it was certainly a family oriented event, but it wasn't a course that will be missed by many. I still feel the Squeezer is the quintessential Niagara region MTB event and course.
    I may skip it for the Gear Grinder (or not-my wife is a consistent top ten in this race, so she'll definitely have something to say about it-although she does absolutely hate the ATV trails, and she does love the Ganaraska).

    The Lake to Lake was my first real race, and I had planned to do it every year for the rest of my racing "career". I hate those ATV ruts too, but not every km of every course can't be "fast-flowing singletrack".

    If I could pick 5 MTB races to do in 2008, they'd be Lake to Lake, Paul's Dirty Enduro, Squeezer, Gear Grinder and Crank the Shield. What a shame that 2 of them are on the same day. (and I can't get time off work to do the Shield race)

    Ok, I think I'm done replying to posts in the Lake to Lake thread.

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bagpipes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    554
    I'm also a father of 2 and I love that I can do the race and meet up with my kids at the end. The negative is that I'm also a son and have parents and other siblings who can't make a trek to St Catherines. So that means I have to finish the race and sprint home clean up and then drive to see my own Father and Father in Law which is every bit as important.

    It's great to have family involved events but I would prefer that it wasn't on a day like Father's day or Mother's day where other / most people like me have to juggle Kids, Parents and / or In-Laws ............ (Parents at the least)

    I think May 24 or July 1 would be better and easier and the bulk of people would be inclined to stick around after the race instead of eating and running off.

    None-the -less, I'll be there with my kids, ride past the finish line to the car then off to see Dad and Dad-in-law. Hasn't stopped me in the past but likely will one day and it will my loss entirely.
    There are no "mistakes"; only learning curves.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by bagpipes
    I'm also a father of 2 and I love that I can do the race and meet up with my kids at the end. The negative is that I'm also a son and have parents and other siblings who can't make a trek to St Catherines. So that means I have to finish the race and sprint home clean up and then drive to see my own Father and Father in Law which is every bit as important.

    It's great to have family involved events but I would prefer that it wasn't on a day like Father's day or Mother's day where other / most people like me have to juggle Kids, Parents and / or In-Laws ............ (Parents at the least)

    I think May 24 or July 1 would be better and easier and the bulk of people would be inclined to stick around after the race instead of eating and running off.

    None-the -less, I'll be there with my kids, ride past the finish line to the car then off to see Dad and Dad-in-law. Hasn't stopped me in the past but likely will one day and it will my loss entirely.
    I know what you're saying, but the way I see it is that Father's Day is for dads, and if dads want to race, then dads should get to race. There may be a few hundred dads at the Lake to Lake for 2-3 hours, but I'll bet for each one of us, there's another 100 dads (or more) on the golf course for twice that length of time! (don't get me started on fishing )

    Anyway, check the OCA calendar. There's at least one (sometimes three) events on every weekend from April to October. Somebody's race has to be on Father's Day (and Mother's Day, and long weekends...)

    Okay, I need to stop thinking about Father's Day. I'm going to miss a good race (don't know which one yet) that day and it's bugging me

  24. #24
    veldrijder
    Reputation: jmoote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    1,083
    ...but not every km of every course can't be "fast-flowing singletrack".
    Sure, but given the choice, what are you going to take? The Ganaraska forest is some of the nicest riding in Ontario IMO.

    The Lake to Lake was my first event as well, but any fondness for it is strongly outweighed by the quality of the course. I generally pick events based on the courses, not the other way around.

  25. #25
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    846
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    Sure, but given the choice, what are you going to take? The Ganaraska forest is some of the nicest riding in Ontario IMO.

    The Lake to Lake was my first event as well, but any fondness for it is strongly outweighed by the quality of the course. I generally pick events based on the courses, not the other way around.
    That's the question right there. I want to do both, but can't. You're right about the Ganaraska. To be honest, I think I would choose that race for many reasons (closer to home, great riding, loyalty to BikeNXS etc.) over Lake to Lake. Otoh, I'm not the only racer in the family, and we have a guaranteed babysitter in St. Catharines.

    I had a long term goal of breaking into the top 20-25 in the Lake to Lake. I've come tantalizingly close (was in the group with finishers in top 25), but haven't done so. If I don't race it this year, and it either discontinues or is always on the same weekend as the Gear Grinder, then I guess I never will.

    See you at the Ganaraska then?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •