Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sheep in FOX clothing

Rouge in the Newz

InsideToronto Article: Mountain bikers seek access to Rouge Park trails

A "backlash" against riding your bike on a closed landfill?

Does everything have to be a battle royal around here?

Evil Jr.
    Disneyland? Did someone at DMBA propose a ferris wheel?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

sheep in FOX clothing
    It's interesting that De Baeremaeker, for such a devoted Scarborough cyclist, reportedly blows up at the mention of bike trails in Scarborough.

But I guess those trails were for the **wrong kind of bikes**.

I'm also curious what provincially significant species he intends to protect, since this is a "nature reserve" now and not just a park.

Maybe Rhamnus cathartica? Cynanchum rossicum? Alliaria petiolata? or how about Lythrum salicaria?

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    My bad.

I really need to keep my mouth shut at meetings.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Maybe it's time to stop arguing with these individuals and put more into talking to Parks Canada. After all they will be the groups to deal with in the long term. And since tthey aqre they would be the people to discuss this stuff with. Especially since they are open to the idea of mountain bikes now.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Rouge Park Alliance.... in reality a bunch of old white people with money. Who don't like change and happy with the status quo and despise anything that doesn't fit their world.

Seen this before... my mother is like this.

Evil Jr.
    Clearly, we, as mountain bikers, have a HUGE image problem. Possibly even worse than even "regular" cyclists.

In a way, I can understand people's confusion. On the one hand you have the Kumbaya-IMBA message and on the other, you have videos like the Kovarik one, which, while totally awesome, probably make the Rouge people wet their beds. What to do?
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    So the end lesson?

It's bad to ride bikes on Rouge Ttrails. It's good to dump your house hold garbage in the Rouge.

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    So the end lesson?
    It's bad to ride bikes on Rouge Ttrails. It's good to dump your house hold garbage in the Rouge.
    end lesson? someone is a better schmoozer then you...

What is and What should be

anyway that dump is over 25 years old so it qualifies as a historical site...
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by singlesprocket View Post
    end lesson? someone is a better schmoozer then you...

What is and What should be

Yes we know. The TRCA is the centre of the universe.

How about putting aside the self righteous TRCA ether for a bit?

Evil Jr.
    I know you're half-joking but some dumps do have important archeological information in them.

Heck, when I dug up the back yard to put in the pond, I found all sorts of interesting stuff: layers of charcoal, broken crockery and even an old horse shoe!

humber river advocate
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Yes we know. The TRCA is the centre of the universe.

How about putting aside the self righteous TRCA ether for a bit?
    in other words nothing learned
    Support TORBA

humber river advocate
    quite true, most archeological digs are into someones trash...

anyone recall the great don river "mad" dig for antique bottles under the bloor bridge after a naturalization project turned up an old dump?

I know you're half-joking but some dumps do have important archeological information in them.

Heck, when I dug up the back yard to put in the pond, I found all sorts of interesting stuff: layers of charcoal, broken crockery and even an old horse shoe!
    Support TORBA

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    in other words nothing learned
    So.. in your view of the world. No one at all dumps house hold refuse in the Rouge at all. It's just inorganic fill being tossed into the main Rouge for example.

But I forgot.. unless it comes from the TRCA it's not good enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Instead of you two idiots arguing about if Parks Canada or the TRCA has control of the Rogue why don't you actually ask either of them?

Find out what the transition plan is. Contact Parks directly.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    Instead of you two idiots arguing about if Parks Canada or the TRCA has control of the Rogue why don't you actually ask either of them?

Find out what the transition plan is. Contact Parks directly.
    But he keeps swallowing the lure.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by City of Toronto - Beare Road Landfill Trust Fund
    Metro Toronto opened the Beare Road Landfill Site in 1967 with the approval of Scarborough Council. The 80.5-hectare site, originally with a capacity of 3.3 million tonnes, received solid waste through 1988. Metro and Scarborough agreed to expand the Beare Landfill's capacity by 635,000 tonnes in 1971 and 5.4 million tonnes in 1974. The latter resulted in the creation of the Beare Road Ski Facility Trust Fund.

Under the terms of the 1974 agreement, Metro issued $750,000.00 in debentures to cover the cost of developing a downhill ski facility at Beare Road. This accommodated Scarborough's desire, first expressed in 1971, to improve the site for recreational purposes. Metro would design the facility and manage disbursements from the trust account; Scarborough would lease the property as of 1978, undertake construction, and assume any excess costs. Any payments would be refunded to Metro if Scarborough failed to build the facility according to the development plan (Clause No. 1 of Report No. 12 of the Works Committee, adopted by Metro Council on October 22, 1974).

In 1982, Scarborough cancelled this agreement, terminated its lease of the Beare Road site, and explicitly relinquished any claim to funds in the trust account (Clause No. 1 of Report No. 46 of the Board of Control, adopted by Scarborough Council on September 20, 1982). In return, Metro was to use the trust account to develop a regional downhill ski facility at Beare Road, with all development plans and activities for the site being reviewed by Scarborough staff (Clause No. 8 of Report No. 10 of the Works Committee, adopted by Metro Council on October 1, 1982).

Metro undertook preliminary work on the ski facility into the early 1990s before abandoning the project. The facility made its last appearance in a budget document in the 1992-1996 Metro Parks Capital Works Program, when inflation and program changes had pushed cost estimates to $12,500,00.00. Beyond economics, the viability of the project was impacted by solid waste management planning (which, beginning in 1988, explored interim landfilling options in the Beare Road area) and by the Province's 1990 park planning initiative in the Rouge watershed.

As plans emerged for the Rouge Park, Metro officials acknowledged that a ski facility at Beare Road would likely be rejected by the Province, given the project's incompatibility with other land uses in and around the park and the range of possible environmental impacts.
    Perhaps the writing was on the wall.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Is the Beare road landfill the one you can see from 401, a small-ish hill as seen from that distance? Of all places, I never thought cyclists would have to fight for landfill. Whoever those people are, they sound like they are pathologically unable to share.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    Of all places, I never thought cyclists would have to fight for landfill. Whoever those people are, they sound like they are pathologically unable to share.
    I wish I could say I'm surprised, sadly I'm not. I was riding with a couple folks last month and one of them had sat in on a planning meeting for Centennial Park in Etobicoke, which also has a ski hill built on a former landfill. According to him, there were people who wanted to close the hill to everyone except hikers because it's allegedly an ecologically sensitive nature heritage site. At this point it was said that people in the meeting were glancing at each other and thinking "wtf? Are these guys for real?" and right after that it was pointed out that the hill is a freakin' pile of garbage.

namagomi
    ... disneyland, proves how confused this person is.

God forbid people are allowed to recreate in a national park... instead we all need to solemnly walk around eating granola and act like it's mother nature's ****ing funeral.

Save the rocks.

namagomi
    quite true, most archeological digs are into someones trash...

anyone recall the great don river "mad" dig for antique bottles under the bloor bridge after a naturalization project turned up an old dump?
    What's old is new again... I believe the proper term is a midden and people go to university for decades for the opportunity to dig through other people's trash.

Last edited by electrik; 09-21-2011 at 03:12 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    ... disneyland, proves how confused this person is.
    Seriously. They should know that Disneyland is the moto trials zone in Britania Beach that mountain bikers have been accessing by heli since the days of NSX 2.

humber river advocate
    i acutally work with landfills. i wouldn't be in such a rush to build trails on a landfill. stay the course, stay in the watershed. it is better to build a multifaceted trail (historical, cultural, enviromental). you will be surprised who listens
    Support TORBA

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    Is the Beare road landfill the one you can see from 401, a small-ish hill as seen from that distance?
    You're probably thinking of Morningside landfill, Beare Road's immediate predecessor. It's currently being partly dug up and moved to make room for the Pan-Am Games Aquatic centre.

I'm (supposedly) involved in the project, so I've had some time to stand around and admire the perfectly preserved condition of the stuff we are digging out the ground.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    You're probably thinking of Morningside landfill, Beare Road's immediate predecessor. It's currently being partly dug up and moved to make room for the Pan-Am Games Aquatic centre.

I'm (supposedly) involved in the project, so I've had some time to stand around and admire the perfectly preserved condition of the stuff we are digging out the ground.
    I didn't know for sure that the hill there at Morningside was a landfill, though I had often suspected it based on the geometry.

Since he referred to seeing it from a distance, it's possible he is talking about Beare Rd landfill, as it is visible from quite a distance from the 401, whereas the small hill at 401 and Morningside isn't much of a distance from the 401, being pretty much right beside the highway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast