Thread: Rotor Q-Rings

sock puppet

Rotor Q-Rings

anyone else using Rotor Q-Rings on their MTB?

if yes - please post your OTB ring position. I believe Rotor suggests the "3" as the starting point and then tweak as necessary.

I tried few other positions, but it seems that "3" works the best for me.

Any experiences out there?

I know very few riders use them - but I have seen them often enough to warrant the question... Thanks in advance...

Living Life Behind Bars..
    interested in this as well. How are you liking them so far and are you using the rings or do you have the whole crankset ?

sock puppet
    yeah, i really liked them while in setting "3". then i wanted to experiment and it worked so-so. then i got a bike with really good and stiff round cranks that worked just fine and forgot about q-rings...

now i want to complete the experiment and go back to what worked for me the best, and finally compare q-rings to round rings once for good and stick with either platform...

just wanted to see other people's experiences and thoughts...

i have two complete sets of Rotor cranks with Q-Rings...

ups and downs
    How do they shift?
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

I wonder why?
    I've got rotor cranks on both of my MTBs (24, 34, 44 rings on one) and (24, 34 rings on the other). I set the concentrics slightly biased towards climbing vs flats. I have had Rotor cranks for about 6 years and have tried a number of settings. I have a rebuilt knee and couldn't ride without them. I prefer the slight hill biased setting as it reduces the higher stresses generated on my knee when climbing.

My buddy has his Rotor cranks set the same as mine.

My wife has Rotor Q-Rings on her bike and the OTB settings are one point lower than "3" (hill biased) which if I remember correctly is point "2".

i1dry?
    Last edited by i1dry; 11-09-2011 at 11:11 AM. Reason: correction
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

sock puppet
    How do you set the bias towards climbing for example?

how did you set up yours? which setting?

thanks

sock puppet
    Shifting is not an issue at all. While they are not as quick as XX for example, they are as good as any Shimano or Race Face top of the line rings...

I consider XX best shifting rings...

I wonder why?
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    How do you set the bias towards climbing for example?

how did you set up yours? which setting?

thanks
    I have the RS4X Rotor cranks that have five Regulation Points that vary the muscular force required to move the cranks. What this actually means is that when one pedal is at the 6 O'clock position the position of the opposite crank arm can be adjusted between the 1 and 3 O'clock positions. With the eccentric mechanism, the trailing crank arm moves from the 6 O'clock position to the 1 - 3 O'clock positions while the power crank arm simultaneously moves from the 1 - 3 O'clock position to the 6 O'clock position.

The Regulation points are marked at varying heights. Rotor advises that the shorter Regulation points be used by those who prefer to pedal seated or feel better riding on flatter terrain, (this means that the crank arm at the start of the power stroke is closer to the 1 o'clock position), and that the higher points be used by those who prefer to pedal standing or feel better riding uphill (this means that the crank arm at the start of the power stroke is closer to the 3 o'clock position).

Rotor recommends starting with the middle Regulation point.

With respect to the Q-Rings they can have either 3 or 5 Regulation points. The lower points align the rings towards a standing/climbing pedaling bias and the higher points align the rings towards a seated/flat terrain bias.

In either instance, I'd recommend that you put some miles in with the Regulation points set in the middle then adjust from there. It will take a bit of time (mileage) for your muscles to adjust to the Rotor cranks or Q-Rings to optimize efficiency and get a good feel as to what Regulation point works best for you. Though having ridden with you, I think that you will prefer a slight standing/climbing bias.

Since the various cranks and rings change the way your muscles are working to a degree, moving directly between regular cranks/rings and Rotors may not be the most effective way to determine the efficiencies of either system.

I forgot to add that I set the Rotor Cranks at the forth highest Regulation points and the Q-Rings at the second lowest (the midway climbing/standing bias in both instances).

i1dry?
    Last edited by i1dry; 11-10-2011 at 07:35 AM. Reason: added content...
    ...some drink from the fountain of knowledge..some only gargle...!!

Over the bars...
    I just have mine on the 3 position and it has been good so i have not messed with it. I definately like it for climbing!

mtbr member
    I use the middle position #3 on the road bike, #3 on the single speed and I have yet to get them for my new geared mtb. I'm just waiting to pick out a new crank before I get some. I really like the way how they feel. It feels like the bike has more snap coming out of a corner. Round rings definatley feel weird now.

Living Life Behind Bars..
    Are you running these on all your bikes ( road, hard tail etc ) wondering how much it would be a issue to go back and forth ?

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    yeah, i really liked them while in setting "3". then i wanted to experiment and it worked so-so. then i got a bike with really good and stiff round cranks that worked just fine and forgot about q-rings...

now i want to complete the experiment and go back to what worked for me the best, and finally compare q-rings to round rings once for good and stick with either platform...

just wanted to see other people's experiences and thoughts...

i have two complete sets of Rotor cranks with Q-Rings...

sock puppet
    no, i had it on my race MTB bike only, and that is my intention again...