humber river advocate

roads are nasty places to ride...

Last edited by singlesprocket; 07-20-2009 at 07:23 PM. Reason: sp

bi-winning
    Those images are quite scary.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

Is it winter yet?
    May 2007
    I came to hate road riding years ago. Besides the dopy drivers, I had one yahoo try to run me off the road. No matter how incompetent I am on a mountain bike, I'm still safer dodging trees than dodging F150s.

I hope these riders pull through. What a terrible situation.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Wasn't there an incident a few years ago in the GTA (north of T.O.) where a motorist plowed into a large group of cyclists @ an intersection?

A single rider may be invisible to an inattentive driver, but a large group?
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    I hope those cyclist pull through OK. The pictures showed they were hit with the van going at least 60km/h. I've never seen frames in so many pieces.

I do think twice every time I get on my road bike, but there are just no trails close by to MTB.

mtbr member
    Just saw this on the news last this morning...bits and pieces all over the road! Hope they pull through...makes me think twice about my commute home...got hit twice on the way home last night; both on Brittania Rd. One car passed me then moved right over almost onto the shoulder and the side view mirror clipped my knuckles, then again a little further down the road (different driver!!) The car just started moving right, the driver off in lala land, although this time I was ready and gave a punch to her window and yelled. Was able to keep control, but the line was very thin between control and road rash!!
    Crazy out there! Be safe all
    Cheers!

humber river advocate

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by chansen
    I came to hate road riding years ago. Besides the dopy drivers, I had one yahoo try to run me off the road. No matter how incompetent I am on a mountain bike, I'm still safer dodging trees than dodging F150s.
    I agree. And yet when I've tried to communicate this idea in the context of liability concerns that land managers have, I seem to get nowhere. I've been told that, for example, the city of Toronto has no liability exposure for cyclists who get creamed on a city street, yet they are fully exposed to accidents on the the Don trails and the dirt jumps. Likewise, I've only ever heard of lawsuits against the managers of off-road trails, never against municipal authorities who are responsible for policing and paving city streets. Any thoughts on this or am I completely out to lunch?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    Wasn't there an incident a few years ago in the GTA (north of T.O.) where a motorist plowed into a large group of cyclists @ an intersection?

A single rider may be invisible to an inattentive driver, but a large group?

Just ask Adam (Chico) I think he was with them and that was a van as well I think!
    I think they were in a group at a stop light.
    I hope they are ok we may tease them but roadies are bike riders none the less.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    This is a tough story to read for anyone who rides a road bike. There are always risks when cycling (mountain or road), but the risks that you have no control over the ones that linger in the back of your head every time you head out for a ride.

The media in Ottawa is giving this tragedy good exposure, so one can hope that everyone who reads about it gets a reminder to be alert behind the wheel and drive responsibly no matter what road they are traveling on.

So much for my "added safety in a bike lane" theory that I used to use in order to rationalize my evening rides down Mississauga Rd.