mtbr member

To the Roadie Who Was...

To the roadie who was riding on HWY 50 @ 4:00PM on New Years Day... I applaud you.
    -20c. That's some severe badassery.

Kick Start My Heart
    The roadies have a code of rules, and that falls under #9.
    I stand with you on this.
    -20c Roadie, davez26 salutes you!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

sheep in FOX clothing
    Yesterday, a 5-hour mountain bike ride in the woods, out of the wind, was cold but manageable.

A two-hour road ride at the same temperature would probably result in my icy demise.

The guys I see still doing the Donut Ride are also out of their freaking minds.

That is all.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Yesterday, a 5-hour mountain bike ride in the woods, out of the wind, was cold but manageable.

A two-hour road ride at the same temperature would probably result in my icy demise.

The guys I see still doing the Donut Ride are also out of their freaking minds.

That is all.
    Please refer to rule #5.

Though to make an observation there where more followers of Rule # 9 or the Hard Way then there are today. But that was also due to other factors but simply we spent more time outside. Parents sent us out in the cold and snow to play in the cold and the snow. We learned to deal with it and that mom and dad where right...it didn't kill us.

Now days....Oh My Sith.....it's minus 5 and I think I saw a snowflake.....to the squirrel wheel...
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    5 hours! my water bottle froze at an hour and a half and gave up after two. My new merino stuff kept me nice and toasty all over. New to the really cold weather riding, but I am staying out longer and longer.
    Burnt Norton

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    5 hours! my water bottle froze at an hour and a half and gave up after two. My new merino stuff kept me nice and toasty all over. New to the really cold weather riding, but I am staying out longer and longer.
    Cold weather riding certainly has some unique challenges but all are manageable. Just so you know, there are insulated bottles available and work pretty good.

My biggest thing with longer colder rides is that I can't, after a while of being outside, push my Alfine very much. I need to be patient as it gets incredibly hesitant. I always need to think ahead, shift, wait until the gears fully engage and THEN give it some torque

A quirk..........that I kind of enjoy. It's weird but, it kind of forces you to chill and enjoy the ride more.
    Here's my crummy, slow-going blog The Slow Spoke if you're interested.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ska View Post

My biggest thing with longer colder rides is that I can't, after a while of being outside, push my Alfine very much. I need to be patient as it gets incredibly hesitant. I always need to think ahead, shift, wait until the gears fully engage and THEN give it some torque

Wonder if they use the same grease in the Alfine as their free hubs?
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Wonder if they use the same grease in the Alfine as their free hubs?
    Yeah......you're right. It's definitely a lubricant thing (although I have had cables/shifters freeze before) but there is no way I'm taking on the challenge of taking an Alfine apart just to swap out lube. I really don't have time to figure that out..............not worth it anyway.

I can live with hesitant shifting, only on my fatbike and only because I just cruise the trails/beaches/roads etc. on it. If it were any other bike, or if I wanted to race it, I wouldn't use an Alfine in the first place for that sort of work.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Cold weather riding certainly has some unique challenges but all are manageable. Just so you know, there are insulated bottles available and work pretty good.
    Warm water in one, hot water in the other. Start with the warm one. Lasts several hours.

mtbr member
    Plan on picking up insulated bottles this weekend and the hot water tip should work well. Thanks. I am learning as I go. I was also considering using my Camelback and making sure to push back all the fluid out of the line once I finished drinking. I know they sell insulation for the lines as well. I am sure there will be little adjustments to make as I stay out longer on colder days.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I found the limit to my dollar store wool socks/summer meshed shoes.....-15.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by machine4321 View Post
    I found the limit to my dollar store wool socks/summer meshed shoes.....-15.
    LOL I found my limit at -3 over a month ago and splurged for some winter shoes. I hope you can feel your toes tomorrow.

Here's a pic of my layers for this mornings frozen river ride.

GTA
    Ontario

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Yeah......you're right. It's definitely a lubricant thing (although I have had cables/shifters freeze before) but there is no way I'm taking on the challenge of taking an Alfine apart just to swap out lube. I really don't have time to figure that out..............not worth it anyway.

I can live with hesitant shifting, only on my fatbike and only because I just cruise the trails/beaches/roads etc. on it. If it were any other bike, or if I wanted to race it, I wouldn't use an Alfine in the first place for that sort of work.
    Alfines come fully lubed with grease from the factory, but for aftermarket service the entire hub internals are soaked in Shimano's special oil, which would help the cold weather issues (presuming they are not cable related). The hub service should probably be done once a year at the least if you are riding regularly, especially in bad weather, so I'd recommend getting it done soon. Once the planetary gear assembly starts to wear there is no fixing it other than getting a new hub.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckeieio View Post
    LOL I found my limit at -3 over a month ago and splurged for some winter shoes. I hope you can feel your toes tomorrow.

Here's a pic of my layers for this mornings frozen river ride.

Those look nice and toasty . As long as I am moving I tend to stay warm.

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty F View Post
    Alfines come fully lubed with grease from the factory, but for aftermarket service the entire hub internals are soaked in Shimano's special oil, which would help the cold weather issues (presuming they are not cable related). The hub service should probably be done once a year at the least if you are riding regularly, especially in bad weather, so I'd recommend getting it done soon. Once the planetary gear assembly starts to wear there is no fixing it other than getting a new hub.
    Can you school me on this "special oil"? Is this something specific on offer from Shimano?

I've heard/seen many who have done the oil bath thing which is no problem to accomplish but I hesitate because I also saw how much of a mess it makes since the Alfine seals are not "oil tight" (they are grease tight) and you end up with oil all over the freaking place - worst of which being the rear rotor.

No thanks.

If I rebuild it, it will be disassembled, cleaned and greased properly. It only shifts like this after quite a while outside so the hub is fine anyway.

If' Shimano has developed an oil for this though, I haven't heard of it. Is that the case? Please let me know.

Cheers.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Can you school me on this "special oil"? Is this something specific on offer from Shimano?

I've heard/seen many who have done the oil bath thing which is no problem to accomplish but I hesitate because I also saw how much of a mess it makes since the Alfine seals are not "oil tight" (they are grease tight) and you end up with oil all over the freaking place - worst of which being the rear rotor.

No thanks.

If I rebuild it, it will be disassembled, cleaned and greased properly. It only shifts like this after quite a while outside so the hub is fine anyway.

If' Shimano has developed an oil for this though, I haven't heard of it. Is that the case? Please let me know.

Cheers.

Here is the link to winterizing a freehub for extreme cold winter conditions from the experts on the subject. And it is not an oil. As is mentioned in the link if an oil is used it will leak out quickly once it warms back up. So you end up rebuilding your hub twice a year. The grease they mention Lubriplate Mag-1 which holds up well to the extreme cold. And doesn't become extra thick like regular grease when it gets below minus say 10.

Winterizing Your Freehub

My suggestion in regards to the Alifine hubs would be to ask directly on the Alaska section. As they would be better able to give an answer.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Ska
    Steel is real.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    .........My suggestion in regards to the Alifine hubs would be to ask directly on the Alaska section. As they would be better able to give an answer.
    That's the thing, I wasn't really asking in the first place as I can live with its performance as it is for what it's being used for (as mentioned). I just "kinda" got curious about this "special oil".

You're definitely right though: if I end up wanting advice, the boys/girls over in the Alaska forum (and many of the folks living far more north than me here in Canada) would certainly be the ones to ask. No one better to ask than those living it in far more extreme cold than I.

Thanks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by secret agent View Post
    Plan on picking up insulated bottles this weekend and the hot water tip should work well. Thanks. I am learning as I go. I was also considering using my Camelback and making sure to push back all the fluid out of the line once I finished drinking. I know they sell insulation for the lines as well. I am sure there will be little adjustments to make as I stay out longer on colder days.
    I have the camelback insulated bottles that I have been using for rides this winter. It's my first outside versus past winters strictly on the trainer save for the odd day. I can tolerate up to feels like -16 or so so far.

For the water bottles, I have been using boiled water mixed with my electrolyte. For temps above -10 or so, the second bottle is cold when I get to it, but not frozen. It's rare that I even drink from it much on a three hour ride too. While it's hard to want to drink it's still a must to some degree. Between the clothing and the bottles, winter riding is a whole different animal to prepare for.
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

mtbr member
    I was out at around -12 or so and that seemed reasonable for a couple of hours and could have gone longer in so far as my clothing goes. That was my first time that long in those temps and had not thought about the water. I am only taking out one bottle so far as I am just hitting the two hour mark. I am not up to 3 hours yet on the fat bike. Just a bit harder than dirt
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Sep 2011

No thanks.

Cheers.
    This is what ya need: Shimano WB Maintenance Oil

Obviously this is expensive, but it is reusable at least 100 times I think. You are best to get that nice plastic tub to go with it just so you have the perfect sized container that won't waste any oil in getting the job done. Or you can always just bring it to a shop if you want to avoid the mess. I charge $35 at my shop to do the job, so it's not a huge expense.

Even if the drag is a minor annoyance, or if the oil change has little effect, I cannot stress enough how important preventive maintenance is on these hubs. Mostly because there is almost nothing you can do to repair the internals. If a parts issue develops in the planetary it cannot be fixed.

I know Rohloff owners in particular have many opinions about the best cold weather oil for those hubs, and I'm sure there are Alfine owners much the same. Keep in mind, though, that an Alfine 11 hub is a fully sealed oil bath, and the Alfine 8 is just dipped in the oil. So you may want to look for Alfine 8 details in particular. The Shimano stuff seems to work very well, however.

Back on track: -23 commute for me this morning! First time I've had to pull out my goggles for a work commute, since I got wind burn on my face coming home last night.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by mtbmeister View Post
    I have the camelback insulated bottles that I have been using for rides this winter. It's my first outside versus past winters strictly on the trainer save for the odd day. I can tolerate up to feels like -16 or so so far.
    I hesitate to admit this publicly, but on my 5-hour ride I didn't bring water, didn't drink water, and after the conclusion of the ride had mostly beer. If I tried that in the summer I would have ended up in the ER, in all likelihood.

So I should get an insulated bottle, or two....

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Ska, I have an Alfine. Had it for years in fact. They are really easy to service. How easy; can you adjust a cone? Takes about 5 minutes to pull one apart. Lots of people are using homebrew lubes instead of the big S stuff. I use 90w gear oil and white grease, others have used ATF, etc. I've ridden my hub in below zero weather tons of times with no issues at all except a slightly sluggish cold induced 4th to 5th shift. Long story short don't be scared of opening up that hub.
    occasional cyclist

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty F View Post
    Back on track: -23 commute for me this morning! First time I've had to pull out my goggles for a work commute, since I got wind burn on my face coming home last night.
    Once I break out the goggles, my eyes get all comfy and refuse to go back ungoggled without freezing eyelashes, so I just wear them for the rest of the winter. Peripheral vision in traffic sux, so I dork out and put a mirror on the bars until spring as well.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    Once I break out the goggles, my eyes get all comfy and refuse to go back ungoggled without freezing eyelashes, so I just wear them for the rest of the winter. Peripheral vision in traffic sux, so I dork out and put a mirror on the bars until spring as well.
    Second day with goggles on today. I agree they are a wholesome luxury. From now on I may just default to them on days below -15.