Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2013

To Road or Not to Road

So this year I ended a long mtb hiatus by buying a used norco Sasquatch to see if I would like getting back into biking. I've become addicted to flying through the woods every chance I get once again. Now that I'm sure I'm enjoying it again I'm looking to upgrade my bike and get into something more xc specific. On the other hand, my riding partner has recently purchased a road bike and says I've got to get one. My dilemma is that i can't get both but really would like to get into road riding too. I've purchased a good mtb in getting my Norco but it's heavy and not really made for what I'm using it for. So I'm looking at the Norco Killer B Sight 3 as my mtb upgrade or a Scott CR1 comp road bike.
    So, should I stick with the mtb I have for now and get the road bike....or do i say screw road riding for now and upgrade to the new mtb?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    As the resident Dirt Bag I can understand the issue of budget and wanting it all. Even tougher when one you are looking at new.

What year was the sasquatch?

Budget?
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    My Sasquatch is a 2007. A little old but in fine spine mashing shape. Scored it for 250 bucks. My new budget is in and around 1500.

mtbr member
    Depends on your goals and location, if you live close to trails a new mtb would be my choice.
    A road bike would help maximize your training time, cutting down on travelling to and from the trails...
    A 2hr mtb ride could easily become a 3.5-4 hr activity, away from family and other things..

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I'd agree that location is all-important. If road riding from your front door is a PITA, I'd probably go with the mtb. I've lived lots of places that I hated road biking. Too many lights / too much traffic / too flat... In the west end (Milton, Burlington, Dundas) there is fantastic road biking (and good mtb too...). To me, somehow, I don't mind traveling to mountain bike, but it bugs me to have to drive on roads to road bike.

Evil Jr.
    This is quite a dilemma! Fortunately, you'll find that most of us started off similarly. My advice would be to get the road bike now while the season still has some life in it. Keep plugging away on the MTB and save your pennies in time for the Spring bike show (usually in March). Go to the Trek booth and pick-up a lightly-used demo at a deep discount. Viola!

There is a formula to describe the optimum amount of bikes any rider should own: N+1, where N is the current number of bikes you have. In short, more bikes = more fun.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    I would get the MTB. You CAN ride a MTB on the road for training when the weather/trails are not suitable. I know it's not the same and you will probably not be able to keep up to roadies. If you have to have one bike, it would be the MTB for me. Can you get that Norco around $1500.00? I thought that started at $2500.00
    Fortunately, I have not been faced with this problem. I have a most understanding wife and all the bikes I need/want.
    Burnt Norton

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post

There is a formula to describe the optimum amount of bikes any rider should own: N+1, where N is the current number of bikes you have. In short, more bikes = more fun.
    So true!!
    Right now I have a decent mtb, an entry level road bike which I'd like to upgrade soon, and I'm thinking about buying a cyclocross bike just to open up my options around my home...
    That would be a good investment as well, you can use it on paved roads, gravel side roads and you can get into the forest on the double track as well
    Buying a new bike is always exciting!!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    To me, somehow, I don't mind traveling to mountain bike, but it bugs me to have to drive on roads to road bike.
    Ha! I know exactly what you mean... and that is one of the pleasures of road riding.

My advice would be to save up until you can have both bikes, depending on your budget.

First, go used. You can sell a bike for not much more than you paid if you change your mind. If you can do your own work, you can save a crapload of money.

Second, don't buy cheap/crap bikes. Do your research, especially if buying used. Long term, they're just not worth it.

Last, and I don't think you'll like this, but I'd say get some cheap slicks for your mountain bike, suck it up and keep saving until you can get something you'll want to keep long term.

You're not super happy with your present mountain bike, and that's your joy. I think you should wait until you can get the mountain bike you want, then start saving for a used road bike. A mountain bike can be ridden on the road. A road bike's not fun on the trails.

That said, road bikes are awesome!

Have fun!

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    A couple more thoughts:
    - A riding partner is not to be scoffed at
    - I have the Scott Comtessa Pro (Women's version) and LOVE it
    - You can get some crazy good deals in the fall for mountain bikes the pro/sponsored riders are done with for the season often posted in the Canadian Cyclist classifieds.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I am a very simple man, and like to quantify things in the simplest of terms...so here it is:

If you are going for training, go for the road bike.

If you are all about the fun, go for the mtb.

Evil Jr.
    - You can get some crazy good deals in the fall for mountain bikes the pro/sponsored riders are done with for the season often posted in the Canadian Cyclist classifieds.
    This is true. A friend of ours bought MikaŽla Kofman's bike from the previous year and it was a great deal!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    A couple more thoughts:
    - A riding partner is not to be scoffed at
    - I have the Scott Comtessa Pro (Women's version) and LOVE it
    Of course don't forget the side effects of the Upgradeitis symptons. That being alot of stuff used yet still good being sold off by riders who wanted the new shiny thing part.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Depending on what age group demographic you're at now, in my view, mountain biking's a little rougher on the body than road biking (a lot in my case, just hit the ground one more time on sunday).... cash it in while you can! I'm looking forward to doing a lot more road riding once I 'retire' from singletrack.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RiotMTB View Post

If you are going for training, go for the road bike.
    If this is the case I would say go for a cross bike. Much more versatile then just having a road bike. And allows you to ride other places not just pavement...rail trail, farm/gravel road, and so on.

More than a little slow
    I would place my bet with secret agent (can always ride an mtb on the road esp if you have two ) and with Enduramil ( if going road, go cross or something similar that lets you hit non paved stuff )
    Am I allowed to place my bet in two places like that?

Of course if you're going to get into road RACING then you need a real road bike and a second mortgage. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
    Cheers, Dave

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Norco Performance Bikes: 2007 Norco Sasquatch

Reality is the Sasquatch frame is built as a aluminium bomber hard tail. It's not designed for light it for taking abuse. It is what is termed a Shore Hardtail, taking 5 foot drops and teeter totters. Still get you home.

First thing I'd actually suggest changing is frame. Figure out your frame size and start perusing the Pinkbike ads. Pretty soon it will be end of season and people will start selling off their frames and stuff to pay for stuff like school.

Other option would be a new On One 456 frame,

On-One 456 Evo2 Frame

Just swap everything over and sell off the Sasquatch frame for $100.

Lemmy Rules!
    If your spouse has a road bike and is getting excited about the sport, get a road bike so you can ride with her. That way you have an activity you can enjoy with your spouse, and when it does come time for the new XC bike,she will be more understanding. Of course, if you can keep up with her on your MTB with slicks, that could work too...

If you are not planning on doing anything too extreme the Norco will do you just fine until you can swing a new MTB (BTW garage monsters idea re the Trek store demo sale is a good call) and to some extent you will have the best of both worlds in the meantime...
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Cross bikes are awesome. Just saying ...

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Cross bikes are awesome. Just saying ...
    Agree 100% but I've always thought of them as a perfect third bike. Since they're neither fish nor fowl, better to start with the two primary "quiver" bikes and move on from there... unless you're limited to just one bike (boo!).

sock puppet
    easy call.

upgrade to the best MTB that you can afford right now and enjoy the rest of the season. look at some used bikes, pre-owned by sponsored riders - they will come at a great price... also look at demo fleet by Trek and Specialized - speak with Trek store directly about the selling dates - do not limit yourself to just Norco... they are other great options out there... nothing wrong with Norco.

then start saving cash for a good road bike, because you need both. buy it when you are ready.

in the meantime - use your MTB on the road with some slick tires, as suggested.
    Signature

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by Kay. View Post
    Depending on what age group demographic you're at now, in my view, mountain biking's a little rougher on the body than road biking (a lot in my case, just hit the ground one more time on sunday).... cash it in while you can! I'm looking forward to doing a lot more road riding once I 'retire' from singletrack.
    when i retire from single track, it will be after they wheel my coffin on the single track on it's way to my final resting place, in order to dump it 6 feet deep.

not a second before.
    Signature

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    when i retire from single track, it will be after they wheel my coffin on the single track on it's way to my final resting place, in order to dump it 6 feet deep.

not a second before.
    I had similar thoughts. Perhaps something like this:

mtbr member
    road bike is awesome, when I got mine I couldn't ride far enough, 50-100-150 km and finally the Mt Washington bicycle hill climb BUT it is not MTBing. It is not clear that your riding partner is your s/o but that is a different thing. My wife started riding 10 years ago and lucky for us she had a few girlfriends that also rode. They trained around here and road the 100 km Perth to Kingston and back a few times. We seldom rode together.
    If your riding partner is not really committed you might have to reconsider.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    I had similar thoughts. Perhaps something like this:

lol, is that funeral in Portland? :P

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast