mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    That is crazy!

mtbr member
    That first photo is amazing.
    "We will call you Cygnus, the god of balance you shall be."

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My area near the airport broke the single day rainfall record set by Hurricane Hazel back in 1954. I had a feeling it wasn't going to end well when the local streets started flowing like rivers. Not long after we lost power and didn't get it back until 4am or so. I have a feeling that a bunch of the local trails will be gone as well thanks to flooding and erosion.

Evil Jr.
    They had to rescue the people from that GO train using boats and from all reports, the riders on the lower level were up to their knees! :O
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    And snakes. There was a video of a good sized snake swimming through the flooded GO train. Snakes on a train!

sheep in FOX clothing
    I actually rode through part of the upper Don lands by Lawrence on the way home last night, and while the water was high, it was similar to that storm we had in May, and was already receding by 6:30pm.

So I suspected nothing about the mayhem downstream, until the power (and internet) came back on at midnight.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Not at all surprised what I saw on TV last night. Reality is this year we have seen a lot of rain and it is now June and the ground still hasn't dried up. And combined with clay the round can't absorb any more.

And come on Toronto..could you all please stop the " oh the inhumanity, The DVP has flooded again". May as well just close it every time it rains.
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

mtbr member
    just northwest of toronto here it is now July.
    they've just issued another weather advisory for the areas affected yesterday for the potential of more torrential downpours heavy winds and hail over night.
    hope they're wrong.
    Team Van Go

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Crazy pics. Gotta remember we have Hurricane Hazel to thank for the fact that this flooding only affected roads and trails and didn't take out whole neighbourhoods. Really makes you appreciate the Conservation Areas!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    Crazy pics. Gotta remember we have Hurricane Hazel to thank for the fact that this flooding only affected roads and trails and didn't take out whole neighbourhoods. Really makes you appreciate the Conservation Areas!
    Indeed. This little storm actually dumped more rain than Hazel. (in a given location not in total)
    Here in Scarborough it wasn't too bad. In fact we really didn't think much of the rain until the 11pm news reports of all the flooding.

I was on the rouge and highland creek trails at 6am this morning and the river wasn't anymore swelled than after a normal rain.
    Hope you all made out ok and get your power up and running soon.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    This is my neighbourhood last evening. The school had its boiler & electrical room flooded and there's a half dozen Toronto Hydro trucks & pumper trucks there right now working on getting it fixed. Will check out the local trails later today or tomorrow, if there's anything left of them.

rad to the power of sick
    This is incredible..

Gnarly
    I've seen snakes on the trail... but snake on a train is a new one

I think would take my chances and leave the train too

It's drying up here in Caledon but trails are still too wet to ride
    F*ck Cancer

Eat your veggies

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckeieio View Post
    Here in Scarborough it wasn't too bad. In fact we really didn't think much of the rain until the 11pm news reports of all the flooding.

I was on the rouge and highland creek trails at 6am this morning and the river wasn't anymore swelled than after a normal rain.
    Hope you all made out ok and get your power up and running soon.
    Etobicoke got creamed pretty good, dinky little streams which are normally an ankle deep trickle turned into raging torrents that washed cars off bridges. Several pedestrian bridges lost their guardrails from having large uprooted trees slammed into them and the local golf course has a ton of new water hazards. Etobicoke Creek is still flooding this evening and dumping water into the golf courses, according to news reports the water was high enough last night to flood the train bridges and those things are a good 20-25' above the normal water level.

I didn't get far on the trails since they were impassable in many places, downed trees all over the place, washouts, gooey silt & mud deposits, it was a mess. Even the packed gravel path took a bunch of damage, every so often there would be a 100' or so section that had the top 8-12" scraped clean off and the debris would get dumped downstream in a mound. Can't even get in there right now to survey the damage, it could take a while to clear all the fallen trees and rebuild the trail to connect it back together. And the south section is probably even worse since that's where it was bad enough to flood the train tracks.

nimble biker
    I guess we have to delay any ride for at least a week.