Go make a difference

Riding near Sarnia, ON

I may have a job opportunity in Sarnia and was wondering what riding is nearby. I do race, mostly enduros, but mostly just enjoy riding. What's the terrain like? I noticed it's right on the US / CAN border -- how far from Detroit (drive time)? I've ridden at Short Hills Prov Park a few years back but that's on the other end. Is the terrain in Sarnia similar to that of the St Catherine's region?

Also, what's the city like? Is it a nice contemporary place or something that's stuck in the '80s and run down?

BTW, I'm from Atlanta, GA and enjoy the array of food, music, festivals, shopping, etc that we have here and I really am not keen on moving someplace that sucks just because the money is good. (I'm not saying Sarnia sucks -- that's why I'm asking about it so don't get all upset if you live there and it's a great place)!

Thanks for the info.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!

mtbr member
    Hopefully someone chimes in who lives in Sarnia (and I haven't offended them).

As I was also looking at employment in the area, I researched a little a few years back. From what I gathered, there is only one set of MTB 'trails' in the immediate area. Flat as a pancake, nothing like the St. Catherines area. You are probably looking at heading east 1-2 hours by car for more riding (London, Guelph, Hamilton). I'm not sure about riding in the Windsor/Detroit area which would be 1.5 drive. Across the border in Michigan might have some trail, but a local might be more inclined to comment.

The city itself is based around heavy chemical industry. You can infer what you want form that, but in my opinion, when a town is built and prospered during the industrial age, you are likely to see it dwindling/stag net and not attracting the younger, contemporary/vibrant crowd. I visited 7 years ago, and didn't find anything special. There is one small college and lots of underage americans coming over to drink. Though I was in university at the time and I was there visiting buddies and that was on my mind.

In my opinion, there are a lot better places you could find to live, but that is something you should likely decide for yourself by visiting.

bi-winning
    I know [CrazyRick_11] spent some time in Sarnia for college. Hopefully he will chime in.

Personally, I am not aware of any good riding in the area. London is about an hour and a quarter away.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    There's nothing worth the drive in Windsor, a couple ok spots in London. I'd suggest posting on which ever regional forum spans Michigan

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I lived there for 3 years. My parents are still there.

It is flat as a pancake. Not really anything to ride there except a really long gravel path that goes through the whole city and heads towards Brights grove.

I used to travel to London (Boler Mtn.) for the weekly race series that they would have. I just paid per race because I couldn't go all the time. It is about an hour away. It is a ski resort. I had fun there, slightly smaller than glen eden.

I have been to Atlanta (cheese factory, fish market.. yum) you are going to be disappointed. On the weekdays alot of places close by 8pm there is not a big enough population to support the long hours. The new downtown is around Lambton mall, plenty of common restauraunts around that area. If you want some nicer restaurants there are some close to the marina which is close to the bridge. The old downtown by the old eaton center mall is typical urban decay. Nothing much there.

In the summer there are lots of beaches to go to. And most of the time you can go in the water, unlike toronto.

Detroit is a little more than an hour away, after you cross the bridge into port huron.
    I don't know about the riding there.

It is a small town, that is why I don't want to live there, but my parents really enjoy it there.
    So it is hard to say that "it sucks" but there are better places to live IMO.

Go make a difference
    Thanks for the feedback, guys. I've actually turned down that job as I've had two other offers come up to stay here in ATL. It's nice to hear, though, that it sounds like there might be a little much needed revival coming to Sarnia. I hate to see towns just fall apart and it's happening more and more it seems.
    Charles Myrick
    33North Adventures | Owner
    Bike | Climb | Hike | Paddle
    New trips: Tibet & Bosnia!