Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Riding group in or close to Mississauga, ON

995 views 15 replies 5 participants last post by  aerius 
#1 ·
Hi,

I recently moved to Mississauga and not familiar with the local trails, am looking for a riding group willing to take in new riders. I am 40 years of age and prefer faster XC riding; would probably rate myself intermediate in XC type trails and lower in more technical trails.

#3 ·
I just moved here as well tail end of the winter & have yet to get out! I like riding technical XC i have not found anything around me mind you i have not been looking to hard.i did pass by a couple of shops they said good places to ride you have to travel to,however i don't drive! So Usman if you get out let me know id be in your age bracket!

I will check out the FB page Defiant

#5 ·
Hey Sweep/ Usman,

Not exactly sure where you are but as aerius points out the Etobicoke Creek is an excellent trail system that is very accessible and in town. I usually try to ride there on Weds nights (7ish) starting around Etobicoke Valley Park and heading North - usually run into aerius along the way up. It is awesome not having to hop in a car to go and ride somehwere and I would disagree that there are no good riding options that require you to get in a car. With the traffic around the GTA driving for me is quickly become a waste of valuable riding time - especially when I live on the Etobicoke Creek :) I (or aerius) would be happy to show you around the trails. There are about 30km of single track along the Creek....

Another great riding option (although a little further from you perhaps) is the Don Valley. There are rides there on Tuesday and Thursday (7pm) with a great group of riders who would be happy to show you around.

#6 ·
I really didn't think about the Etobicoke Creek as being readily accessible. I live in the west end of Mississauga and it would be a good 30 minutes of road to get to the closest point around Sherway. I did not mention the Don as traffic is a nightmare there. It is way faster for me to drive to Milton than head into the city during the week. Now with all the construction, it is even worse.

#7 ·
Agreed that traffic to the Don is not ideal - however, there is always transit is you don't drive or don't want to and then riding up from the lake. I have done that a number of times.

Lots of places to drop into E Creek. depending on where you are coming from and again there is always the transit option to get there if you don't want to ride on the road. A good paved (off the road) option from Mississauga to access the trails is along Queensway and then drop in just after the bridge on the East side - hit dirt right away. I guess I figure 30 mins of riding is still 30 mins of riding vs. 30+ mins of sitting in a car to get somewhere to go riding.

#8 ·
For sure. The Queensway is a very good option if it is close as it has a paved path for almost the entire ride if you don't want to be on the road. I was just thinking that heading to Kelso or Hilton/AF you are more likely to find group rides. I have done the Etobicoke Creek twice beginning around Matheson and going south to the Lakeshore and then riding home on the road. It is a nice loop for me.

#9 ·
I am in between Mavis & McLaughlin of Eglinton ave. e.creek looks like its 7 Km away not bad i would like to hit there. I heard a lot about the Don & would love to get there as well.
Kelso really interests me if anyone is planing on going & has room let me know.As it warms up itching to get out!

#11 ·
I am in the Erin Mills area, just west of Erin Mills Pway on Brittania. I was thinking one option is riding south-east to catch the Culham trail from the nearest point; somewhere between the streetsville area and Eglington. Closest point to get on e.creek trails would probably be off from Maetheson (not too far from where Sweep may be hitting the trail). Not too keen on riding all the way there though, specifically the on-road ride back in the dark. May be drive there and park n ride.

#12 ·
Not worth getting on the Culham Trail if going to the Creek. Will take you out of the way. There is actually no access off Matheson to the Creek. You have to go off Sismet. There is an entrance there. You can also park there or in one of the industrial complexes nearby. It's the burbs and no one uses the sidewalks. Ride them if you are not comfortable on the road. I have a road bike and am on the road quite a bit in spring and fall, so pretty used to it. During rush hour, though I have been known to use paths or the sidewalk if way too busy which it will be if you go anytime before 7:00. It will be about 10 km to the trailhead from where you are. Check out the maps available on the site. The trail is discontinuous between Bloor and Dundas.

#16 ·
There is actually no access off Matheson to the Creek.
Actually, there is, on the east side of the creek. Keep an eye out for a trailhead on the south side of Matheson just after you cross the bridge. You can either go south or loop under the bridge and continue north towards the 401. Watch out for deer if you go north, they're all over the place on this section and if you hit one it's gonna hurt.

#15 ·
Yes, past Dixie, and then Eastgate.

Eglinton crosses over the creek and on then East side there is a trail that will allow you to access the Creek. I believe it is 'technically' closed from above right now due to construction but that you can certainly get around that.

Look at the 8km as a solid warm up and cool down:) But I hear you - not ideal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.