mtbr member
    Oct 2007

riding to dundas trail center

Im no sure if anyone else has had the same problem.I live on the west hamilton mountain
    and my son and I ride through the chedoke golf course at the bottom by the cp rail yard
    to ride up to the dundas trail center.On sunday (October 14th) a course worker stopped
    us and told us we cannot ride our bikes on the golf course any more.I politely informed
    him that there was not sign stating we cannot ride on the course.But he just kept saying no bikes on the golf course.We finished our ride to the trail center and riding back to hamilton we rode through the cp rail yard.There was rail workers there but they did not say anything to us.has anyone else had problems riding by the golf course or rail yards would like to here.I read that they were going to extend the bike trail through the rail yard but they had to work out something with cp

thaks brad

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So let me see if I can understand you correctly...were you riding your bikes down the radial trail, thru the parking lot, down the driveway to Aberdeen....or cutting ACROSS the golf course fairway or some other part of the course itself?

If you were cutting thru the parking lot and down the driveway, you aren't in the wrong...but sorry mate, if you were cutting ACROSS the course, then you aren't allowed to be there, for several reasons...the least being concern for your safety actually being ON a golf course.

Next time ride down the radial trail, take the parking lot to aberdeen and continue your trip that way. You won't be hassled, and if you are, get a name. There is no reason why you shouldn't be on the driveway or in the parking lot....but you can't actually be on the course itself. There not being a sign up or riding somewhere because no one says anything is no reason to defend your actions...if someone is telling you you shoudln't be there, respect their wishes, apologize and leave. Or in the case of the rail yard, simple safety shoudl tell you you shouldn't be there, I'm SURE there are signs regarding tresspassing there.

By acting like a jerk you're just giving all riders a bad name....AND also teaching your Son poor habits as well.

Tim

mtbr member
    To add to sully's comments...
    Riding across a golf coarse is generally not acceptable, unless given permission. There may have been no signs, but as soon as you were asked to leave and did not leave you were trespassing, and if you return you are trespassing.
    In regards to the railway,
    Even if there are no signs regarding trespassing on the railway property you were in fact trespassing. Railway property is off limits to everyone who does not have permission to be there, it's even got it's own little section in the Criminal Code. Be cautious, this is an arrestable offense. Not exactly the safest place to be riding.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    i ride/run on the tracks from stroud to the the road that goes up to chedoke golf course evryday, never had a word said to me. occasionally i will lift my bike over a barrier at the halfway mark that goes to a paved trail for golf carts and ride my bike on that to a gravel parking lot just beside all those town houses, never been hassled,but keep your eye open for golf carts, and always yield to golfers.

the rail workers dont give a %$#%, just stick close to the side when they are working.

but if i was told not to ride on either route i would probably cool it for a while.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by foggy222
    the rail workers dont give a %$#%, just stick close to the side when they are working.
    It's not the rail workers you need to fear. It is the CP rail police. They will enforce the rules when needed. They seem to pop out of thin air at times too.

Steve

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudhead
    It's not the rail workers you need to fear. It is the CP rail police. They will enforce the rules when needed. They seem to pop out of thin air at times too.

Steve
    i think that little stretch has its own special rules, use at your own risk /not liable etc etc.

mtbr member
    I've been asked not to ride in the golf course (on the gavel roads of course, not on the greens & fairways) and in the train yard.

My commute goes through one or the other everyday for the last ~10 years. The alternative route is the King St or Main St bridge, and if you just try it a few times during rush hour, it's a trip to the hospital waiting to happen.

Background: a 4-lane freeway (403) cuts the city here, and there are only 3 bridges across it, 2 very busy 4-lane, one-way streets, and a train bridge that puts you in the train yard or golf course.

Technically, bikes are not allowed in the golf course (FYI: municipal). However, as long as you stay on the gravel roads, and wait for the golfers, most people don't mind. I've talked to the manager, and although he states no bikes, he's generally willing to look the other way as long as you stay on the roads.

The CN police will stop you in the train yard because it's a working yard, and thus a liability. But I've talked to them as well, and like the golf course manager, they realize that the alternative routes are more dangerous. Neither will say you can go, but so far both have been reasonable.

Be nice, and be reasonable. I have to be.

PS: there use to be a 4th way across, the culvert under the 403 next to the golf course. But the break in the fence to get there has been fixed up and re-enforced, and is no longer passable.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

hamilton cycling committee

Thanks for your email. You raise a good point regarding the golf course. We should have the City investigate signage if indeed there is no cycling permitted on the golf course. I suspect this is the case. I guess the approved cycling route from the Chedoke Trail to the CP rail corridor is along the roadway to the clubhouse.
    Regarding the CP corridor, yes the City is in negotiations with CP to extend the valley rail trail right up to Aberdeen. Nothing is formalized yet. I have not heard of CP raising any issue with cyclists using that corridor, but it is not an official route yet. The official route will be much better defined, if it is finalized.
    Daryl Bender
    -----Original Message-----
    Sent: October 15, 2007 9:22 AM
    To: darylbender@sympatico.ca
    Subject: HAMILTON CYCLING COMMITTEE

my name is Brad Robins. I have lived on the Hamilton mountain for over 40 years.(Ward 8) My son and I use the chedoke rail trail to get up and down the escarpement 3 to 4 times a week.we then ride through the golf course at the bottom by the cp rail yard to cross the bridge
    and ride to the dundas rail trail center.This past weekend (Sunday October 14th) we were meet by a course worker who told use we were not allowed to ride through the golf course any more.I politely informed the worker that there was no sign posted saying bikes are not allowed
    but he just keep saying you cannot ride your bikes on the golf course.We proceded with are ride to the dundas trail center and when we returned back to hamilton we road through a portion of the cp rail yard which i donot like to do because its dangerous and i feel like im tresspasing.
    we watch numerous bicyclists ride the road on the cp rail side and they donot seem to say anything (the cp workers) but it is a bit unnerving.Is there any other solution for the time being,I read that they were going to finish the rail trail across the bridge by the cp rail trail.Is this true
    and if so when will it happen.

thanks from an avid cyclist brad