Thread: Rider Down

Evil Jr.

Rider Down

Although I'll not divulge all the details here (not my place to make this information public), there is an Eastern Canada forum member undergoing extremely serious surgery tomorrow (Tuesday) and I wanted to make a quick appeal for cyber-healing vibes.

Get well soon!

Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

No. Just No.
    OK, another set healing vibes inbound for unknown Eastern Canada forum person.

GAME ON!
    can't wish well if i don't know who it is. it could be my mortal enemy.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

namagomi
    Exactly saturnine, could be some drunk driving or consequences of asinine acts involved.

At any rate, it's too bad somebody got hurt(riding i guess?). Hope they're better soon and get to eat lots of jello and popsicles!

No. Just No.
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    consequences of asinine acts involved
    *cough* describes 99% of world's population *cough*

mtbr Decade+
    My Son and I have simultaneous dentist appointments tomorrow afternoon, hopefully we'll be ok....
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    anything other than self inflicted injury deserves sympathy

namagomi
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    *cough* describes 99% of world's population *cough*
    Quote Originally Posted by trufflepig View Post
    anything other than self inflicted injury deserves sympathy
    Wait, what... trufflepig you think 99% of the worlds population deserves no sympathy??

Look what you started by being so vague Garagemonster!!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Okay.. I'll stop using my Voodoo Doll collection for live fire targets.

Evil Jr.
    My bad... Not self-inflicted and not a riding injury. Sudden and surprising diagnosis would best describe it.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    It's me. It's heart surgery. It's at 11:30 today. All thoughts, prayers, vibes and whatever else you might have will be appreciated.

Apologies to any of my friends if you are finding out for the first time on here. I have no secrets about this amongst friends, but the details about the last few weeks are a bit "heavy" for mtbr and/or FB. I've tried to get as many personal emails out as possible, but my energy has been somewhat limited. If you want more details contact the usual suspects.

Know this: I'm receiving the best possible care. And I will be back to wreak havok on the trails once again.
    Last edited by smarty; 11-22-2011 at 05:01 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    I will keep you in my Prayers.
    Hope all goes well

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    My bad... Not self-inflicted and not a riding injury. Sudden and surprising diagnosis would best describe it.
    Leave a vague post with innuendo with a bunch of riders with creative and imaginitive minds....What could possible go wrong?

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Heal up smarty.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Heal up smarty.
    As a fellow member of the Bar, this could be my cue to make a bunch of lawyer jokes (ie are you having your heart removed? etc etc) but I will take the high ground and wish you the very best and a speedy recovery. We'll look forward to seeing you on the trails and putting the hurt on the rest of us in the singlespeed category very soon..
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I will do my best, vibe-wise, starting at 11:30.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Silly GM, expecting the best from the interwebs. I know it'll go swimmingly, smarty, and now you'll have more bragging rights than anyone. As if crushing on a SS or while towing a daughter wasn't enough!

mtbr member
    Holy crow! Best wishes....and maybe take it easy on the Ventoux hill repeats!

namagomi
    Never met ya, but Godspeed smarty!! You'll have plenty of time to post ludicrously and annoy the **** outta us while on the mend, remember to be a good patient and follow the surgeons orders!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Unglued View Post
    As a fellow member of the Bar,
    He's a lawyer? I take everything back.... now where did I stash the Lawyer Voodoo Doll?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Wait, what... trufflepig you think 99% of the worlds population deserves no sympathy??

Don't think I said the ailments of the 99% are self inflicted, hope your not saying that.
    The line is actually a direct plagiarism of my Dad when I would have a hangover

Evil Jr.
    The grapevine tells me Smarty sailed through surgery like a boss. Yay!

mtbr member
    never met him either but all mountain bikers deserve good stuff to happen to them so good luck and have a quick recovery.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I don't know if I know smarty, but it's good to hear it went well.http://forums.mtbr.com/images/smilies/thumbsup.gif

No. Just No.
    The grapevine tells me Smarty sailed through surgery like a boss. Yay!
    Excellent - thanks for the update and good news.

Talentless Hack
    Word.

Here's hoping the beast of Toronto Strava segments will return soon.
    The above statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration

Lemmy Rules!
    Update please!
    Strava made me do it....

No. Just No.
    Update please!
    Convenience link below!

http://forums.mtbr.com/eastern-canad...st8657988.html

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I'm out of surgery and I'm on the long road of recovery. Thanks all for the warm wishes. It was an insanely tough week that was made much easier by the support of others, most notably my wonderful wife, who has been a rock throughout.

Everything went perfectly with the procedure, and I should be home by the weekend. I'm allowed on the trainer next week, and I'm even permitted to raise my heart rate a whole 20 bpm. Special, special care has to be taken with my chest, so non-stationary riding may be a long way off. Present intentions are to return to my previous fitness levels (and the doctors are very supportive of this). In fact, my fitness kept me going whole while my heart wasn't, and my fitness is massively helping with my recovery. Stay fit, my friends.

Lemmy Rules!
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    I'm out of surgery and I'm on the long road of recovery. Thanks all for the warm wishes. It was an insanely tough week that was made much easier by the support of others, most notably my wonderful wife, who has been a rock throughout.

Everything went perfectly with the procedure, and I should be home by the weekend. I'm allowed on the trainer next week, and I'm even permitted to raise my heart rate a whole 20 bpm. Special, special care has to be taken with my chest, so non-stationary riding may be a long way off. Present intentions are to return to my previous fitness levels (and the doctors are very supportive of this). In fact, my fitness kept me going whole while my heart wasn't, and my fitness is massively helping with my recovery. Stay fit, my friends.
    Great news. Thanks for taking the time to update us all. Heal fast.
    Strava made me do it....

namagomi
    Staying fit is key.

Nice to see out and with good attitude! Dunno if you want to hang around here though...might raise your blood pressure and bpm. :P

Evil Jr.
    Great news. Thanks for taking the time to update us all. Heal fast.
    +11. I'm sure you'll be back to kicking my butt in no time!

Lemmy Rules!
    +11. I'm sure you'll be back to kicking my butt in no time!
    Worst case scenario: at the Tour de Buttertart next year Smarty's kids can tow him in the chariot. And I bet they'll kick our butts too
    Strava made me do it....

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007

So so glad to hear. Fitness is a very good thing.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Staying fit is key.
    But you can't make money of that.

mtbr member
    I am late to read this and very shocked. Best wishes to Smarty for a super-quick recovery.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    KHS CX 550 cyclocross

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    I'm allowed on the trainer next week, and I'm even permitted to raise my heart rate a whole 20 bpm.... Stay fit, my friends.
    This is all your fault. My "I just ride I don't train" guy is downstairs right now riding the rollers. He claims you as inspiration.

Hope it's going well.
    Last edited by Nerdgirl; 11-29-2011 at 03:08 PM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerdgirl View Post
    This is all your fault. My "I just ride I don't train" guy is downstairs right now riding the rollers.
    Give him 5 more minutes till he gives up staring at walls.

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Give him 5 more minutes till he gives up staring at walls.
    I declare my first roller ride in 12 months a mitigated success. While I did come off a couple times, I didn't hurt myself and I endured 30 minutes of staring at a brick wall (East German stylez FTW), including one set of weaksauce intervals.

If this $hitty weather keeps up, I'll have to break out the fan and the DVD player down there.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    I declare my first roller ride in 12 months a mitigated success. While I did come off a couple times, I didn't hurt myself and I endured 30 minutes of staring at a brick wall (East German stylez FTW), including one set of weaksauce intervals.

If this $hitty weather keeps up, I'll have to break out the fan and the DVD player down there.
    Your weakness has been noted and been reported to Jens Voigt.

mtbr member

30 minutes? That's not even worth putting shorts with a chamois on . What's the point? I know it's only November, but a rider of your ilk can certainly muster up a little more gumption and stick it out longer than half an hour!
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

Evil Jr.
    I have a fairly lofty (perhaps impossible) target for next Summer. There's no need to burn myself out 7 months in advance. Baby steps, as they say.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Two things:

On indoor training: Thirty minutes for the first session is very respectable. Indoor training is numbing - both for the brain and for the bottom. I rarely ride for longer than an hour when on rollers. You should check out The Sufferfest for training videos - they are excellent workouts that can be done on the rollers (with some improvisation and care). And, most importantly, they aren't boring. Otherwise, I recommend Metallica concert DVDs.

On recent surgery: I am home and doing well. A bit bored already, but I am working to find lots of things to do (that involve sitting quietly) for the next several weeks. Happily, I have not yet had to resort to daytime TV (nor will I). Training is currently restricted to walking, but I will get on the bike again soon(ish). 2012 might be a "rebuilding" year as far as riding and racing go. But 2013...

GM, please do tell of these targets.

Evil Jr.
    GM, please do tell of these targets.
    Ah but this thread isn't about me... The only thing worth noting is that you inspired me to get on a bike even though riding rollers may be one of my LEAST favourite things in the universe.

Glad to hear you're home and well. I learned in the last month and a half that some daytime TV isn't all that bad. For instance, NBC has a fun show called The Chew on after lunch that got us through many of Theo's early feeds. And TNG comes on in the late afternoon on Space!

namagomi
    TV Sucks.. ride your bike and if you can't do that read a book or something that will not result in a total couch zombie. Or you could become an infamous mtbr forum juggernaut, just like me.

Lemmy Rules!
    Ah but this thread isn't about me... :
    Yeah, but this one is...Garage Monster's lofty goal for 2012
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Yeah, but this one is...Garage Monster's lofty goal for 2012
    Well played. Very well played.

Lemmy Rules!