Muskoka

Ride&Swim: Hahne Farm to Cornell Lake [pov]

POV ride into Cornell Lake for a swim. Mid July we braved the deer flies, which were merciful and dispersed after about 5 minutes of reaching the lake.
    I pull the sock off my bear bell if I do this ride alone, as there is usually a lot of scat evident. If you click through to the Vimeo link, you will get a larger screen.

Gone Swimming: Hahne Farm to Cornell Lake from BlackCanoeDog on Vimeo.

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    that trail looks pretty good! How long of a ride is it?

cheers
    phil shep

COMM|T OR EAT SH|T

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by philshep
    that trail looks pretty good! How long of a ride is it?

cheers
    I usually ride from home and its17K round trip. This ride we met at the trailhead across the road from Mickey Dee's in Gravenhurst. Out and back was about 15k I'm guessing.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    I checked my GPS file & we rode 10 klicks total (out & back).
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    Hey that was fun watching that I have done that ride many times, Ummm.... seems a few little hills may have been edited out did we have some kinda trouble with them???

Thanks for the video we don't get down there much anymore

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north
    Hey that was fun watching that I have done that ride many times, Ummm.... seems a few little hills may have been edited out did we have some kinda trouble with them???

Thanks for the video we don't get down there much anymore
    No, everything was rideable. Its a crap shoot editing an entire ride to a few minutes. On this ride I had the camera a bit too forward on the helmet so a lot of footage was lost cause the horizon was too low. This was worse on climbs so that may be some of the sections you are thinking of. Coming off the point on the return ride is all uphill for the 1st while. I prefer my original edit at 17 min but to make it work with the music I had to cut 4 minutes. I didn't want to add another song, maybe I should have 'cause I cut out some nice stuff. I'm thinking the longer pov clips are, the less likely they will be watched. However I want the clip to be long enough that if one watches the entire length they get a real impression of that ride. I personally like long pov clips like those Pete Fagerlin does because I can enjoy a trail/area that I will never get to ride for real myself. I'm sharing our Muskoka trails in a similar manner but in my Mickey Mouse amateur way lol. Which is fine because I can only invest a bit of time. This ride was in mid July and it took till now to get around to an edit!! btw, Thanks for the appreciation, nice to know a few people will flow with it and watch the whole thing

mtbr member
    Hey Bert

Just pulling your leg

I like the idea of sharing our trails though video it's great

Your head cam works nicely to give more of a feel for our trails

Keep up the good work

Mark

mtbr member
    Hey where is the Taboo Trail (From you picture album)

Is that the eye doc on your moon river ride I thought we broke him all up so he wasn't allowed to ride any more?

Do you think the Taboo Trail would be good for kids to ride? I think mine would like those board walks and bridges?

Thanks

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004
    Considering the "issues" you mentioned, the video looks good. Too bad you didn't include the part showing us dodging the Hwy 11 traffic LOL. The only thing missing from the video are the deer flies..

I've heard of, but never been exposed to the Indigo Girls. There sounds like a bit of a Yes/Steve Howe influence on the guitar work.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Near north
    Hey where is the Taboo Trail (From you picture album)

Is that the eye doc on your moon river ride I thought we broke him all up so he wasn't allowed to ride any more?

Do you think the Taboo Trail would be good for kids to ride? I think mine would like those board walks and bridges?

Thanks
    Taboo trail is part of Taboo Resort, which is just up the road from home. They have a lot of undeveloped acreage (well over 1000 and recently bought an adjacent farm!! ) so awesome potential but not a lot of developed trail ( maybe 6 -8 K that's rideable). I'm not aware of any plans to expand the trails though...unfortunately. What they have is really well done and fun, not technical for the most part. Includes one of the most fun downhill runs in the area coming back, which of course one climbs on the way out. These trails are for the use of the Taboo Resort guests, but some of the locals sneak on I don't think they mind too much...its usually mid week for me and we rarely see anyone!
    I live in Gravenhurst, work in Bracebridge and ride right by Taboo on my commute. Often on the way home I hop onto their trails for some off-road. Very scenic with beaver ponds, etc as you see from the album. Kids would like Taboo for sure except the climb maybe, but also the main trails and 1-2 hoof single track at Buckwallow is very kid friendly. Also for kids I would suggest BRMC just north of Bracebridge, there is an album up for that.

Correct!!... Dr. John C. is an eye physician & surgeon. I worked in his practise during 2007/2008 He broke both his hands at Satan's Village (Porcupine Ridge)...not good for an eye surgeon!! After that his wife laid down the law and he is not allowed to off-road. Well, once a year he's allowed and that was his yearly off road allowance lol. But John & his wife got into tandem mtbikes and tandem road bikes and are amazing on them! He's quite the fearless rider, but injured his knee (yet again)on vacation in Newfoundland this summer. Has struggled with that since. Just a great guy btw, his patients all adore him and many come from North Bay and further just to be treated by him!

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by revrnd
    The only thing missing from the video are the deer flies..
    I can see the deer flies buzzing quite well in some scenes, especially when we 1st get to the lake. In one scene we are scooting down the trail and a deer fly landed on the helmet cam and walked across the front of the lens..which of course made it look like a gigantic monster bug! It was pretty cool and I should have kept it in. But its always an entire ride edited to a few minutes
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 08-16-2009 at 05:11 AM.

mtbr member
    I was with him and watched, he was riding when he shouldn't have been.

He's been riding tandems for many years,

Glad to see he still gets out.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Is this trail easy to follow/fairly well marked?We are coming to the area on Labour day weekend for our yearly trip to see Kim at The Kee.May do a few of the easier trails in the area while we're there as one female rider is pretty green.

mtbr member
    It's a great trail for a new rider the first section from McDonalds to the highway is easy to find your way and you are between highway 11 and a subdivision you cross hwy 11 head south on the old road trial is on the left. now you are on a point of land hwy on one side, gull lake to the north, a long swampy lake (good fishing I hear) south and Cornell at the end you just sorta keep heading east when you get to the pipeline road turn south or right go maybe 100-200yds?? look on the left for the trail again. I think Bert said there was a painted rock.
    The terrain becomes very open shieldish (rock) there is a worn trail but you can ride lots of other lines and find rock steps and many features to play on.

Watch your new rider at the start you ride close to the edge of a rock ledge it's not that bad but to someone new?? it only at the beginning.

Always a fun little trail

Muskoka
    Just to add a point to Near North's info. If you are riding this on one of the busiest weekends of the summer be aware that to get from Hahne Farm side to the Cornell Lake trail you have to cross the 4 lane highway. I wouldn't even think of doing this on the Labour Day Monday afternoon. Early morning or Sunday should be OK. Alternately Buckwallow is only 5 minutes north of there, if that.Great trails for all skill levels. Since you are going to Bala for the Kee, definitely ride Torrance Barrens.

mtbr member
    Very good points be very carefull crossing the hwy. and Buckwallow is a fun place for all levels of riders.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    to get from Hahne Farm side to the Cornell Lake trail you have to cross the 4 lane highway. I wouldn't even think of doing this on the Labour Day Monday afternoon.
    Come on, don't be a kill joy. I bet we could nominate some folks for the Darwin Awards after that.

JK
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

mtbr member
    I've found sometimes in a group people behind the first few just follow thinking it's all clear and that crossing feels like a lot of highway like six lanes plus a center median

Muskoka
    The fact that thre is a blind corner immediately north of the crossing doesn't help. Which reminds me, about half way between there and the exit to Buckwallow is an overhead crossing that is part of the Trans-Canada Trail and is used by sledders in winter. I have been wanting to ride my bike into there to see what access is like at either end of the bridge. Just curious. Sometimes I ride from home to Buckwallow (15-20 minutes) and that could make a more interesting alternate route.

MTB Rider
    Aug 2004

Idea!

I have been wanting to ride my bike into there to see what access is like at either end of the bridge. Just curious. Sometimes I ride from home to Buckwallow (15-20 minutes) and that could make a more interesting alternate route.
    BCD, check your email. I sent you a couple of files. I didn't mention this in the email, but it looks like the pipeline road (crank up the zoom to 500% in Word & look for the grey line) intersects the TOP D just SW of the Doe Lake Rd. I recall you mentioning something about the pipeline road not being passable to the north.
    Last edited by revrnd; 08-19-2009 at 06:17 PM.
    2008 Trek Fuel EX 8
    Oshawa, Ontario, Canada

Muskoka
    Just to add a point to Near North's info. If you are riding this on one of the busiest weekends of the summer be aware that to get from Hahne Farm side to the Cornell Lake trail you have to cross the 4 lane highway. I wouldn't even think of doing this on the Labour Day Monday afternoon. Early morning or Sunday should be OK. Alternately Buckwallow is only 5 minutes north of there, if that.Great trails for all skill levels. Since you are going to Bala for the Kee, definitely ride Torrance Barrens.
    I was travelling through there today and they now have construction/repaving going on all along there in preparation for the G8 Summit. That will slow and back traffic up more than usual, making the highway crossing from Hahne Farm trail to Cornell Lake trail very risky on Labour Day weekend.