Team NFI
    Mar 2007

X-Ray Guy
    Don't waste your money....geez Dura-Ace 11 is coming....and DI-2 11...

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawz View Post
    Don't waste your money....geez Dura-Ace 11 is coming....and DI-2 11...
    Yes, a guy who will shell out $700 for Dura Ace hates it. So it will work for my needs.

If one looks back at this you can see where they got some of the idea.. WTB made the Dirt Shifter and Kelly Bikes made the Take Off.
    Last edited by Enduramil; 11-29-2011 at 09:56 PM.

Evil Jr.
    I actually think these are really cool and the idea of having Di2 11 on a CX bike is a bit out of reach for a blue-collar racer like me.

I like how they used stock levers and just modified them for the prototypes. Cheap, light and durable - you *can* have all three!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

namagomi

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    who will shell out $700 for Dura Ace rear derailleur
    Fixed.

More to the point, I thought the masses are moving to disc brakes. I guess there is no good reason not to use this shifter type with hydros, provided that a non-sti hydro road lever is even produced.

Personally, I'm holding out on doing anything to my increasingly decrepit CX bike until the direction of this all becomes clearer.

namagomi
    I wonder if they're both indexing and friction?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by electrik View Post
    I wonder if they're both indexing and friction?
    I don't see why not. It would just come down to which shifters you decide to mount... Might hafta dig up my old Centaur down-tube shifters...
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    I actually think these are really cool and the idea of having Di2 11 on a CX bike is a bit out of reach for a blue-collar racer like me.

I like how they used stock levers and just modified them for the prototypes. Cheap, light and durable - you *can* have all three!
    This is really the next evolution of the Kelly Take Off's you saw i had at the Buttertart. The Take Off's being a copy of the hard to find WTB Dirt Shifter. Though they did the issue of being harder to shift when you got to the bigger gear. These Retroshifts are an improvement as your hands stay on the hoods.

mtbr member
    Don't know about SRAM/Campy but the D/A 7700 barcons I use (on Paul's Thumbie adaptors) can be easily switched from index to friction. On the rear, that is, the front always remains friction.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    veteran_youth - Yup 7700 (9sp) and 7800 (10sp) both have the friction option for the rear shift. From what I can see on the Shimano site the newer 7900 (10sp) it looks like Shimano has done away with the friction option? Will be a shame if they have. 7700 are still available from Shimano which is super as it is a great option for CX.

RetroShift have been tried with a number of Shimano downtube shifters all to good effect. Also 8, 9 and 10sp bar end. The 10sp tend to be stiffer to shift, maybe this is a design change or just that they are newer.

Adam

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RetroShift View Post
    veteran_youth - Yup 7700 (9sp) and 7800 (10sp) both have the friction option for the rear shift. From what I can see on the Shimano site the newer 7900 (10sp) it looks like Shimano has done away with the friction option? Will be a shame if they have. 7700 are still available from Shimano which is super as it is a great option for CX.

RetroShift have been tried with a number of Shimano downtube shifters all to good effect. Also 8, 9 and 10sp bar end. The 10sp tend to be stiffer to shift, maybe this is a design change or just that they are newer.

Adam
    Whoa, we're faymuss here in Eastern Canada!

Thanks for the response, Adam.

Another question I hadn't thought of....the bar-cons have a bit of offset built into the lever; is Retroshift optimized for a straight down-tube lever or will it work equally well with both? Can the position of the lever be adjusted (rotated) to sit in different spots? In smaller increments than 90deg, that is.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by veteran_youth View Post
    Whoa, we're faymuss here in Eastern Canada!

Thanks for the response, Adam.

Another question I hadn't thought of....the bar-cons have a bit of offset built into the lever; is Retroshift optimized for a straight down-tube lever or will it work equally well with both? Can the position of the lever be adjusted (rotated) to sit in different spots? In smaller increments than 90deg, that is.
    Veteran_youth - This is a good question. Basically you are right in that BE and DT shifters are a little different. I started the process with DT shifters as they are a little cheaper and lighter than BE's but during testing both ended up being used. All were Shimano.

I like the DT shifters but I would say a good half like the BE type. The BE's have a angle in the lever that is actually makes shifting in the very lowest couple of cogs a bit easier but the DT maybe a little preferred at the high end... The DT type also have a rubber coating which is nice. I would recommend the best option is to go with whatever you might have or can easily find.

There is some adjustment possible that is built into the design but it is limited and not really user adjustable and more something we can set in assembly. I do have ideas for ways to address this in the future. The design will evolve over time as we continue to get feedback.

This is not a perfect system (then again don't let anyone tell you that any are! - well except for perhaps a single speed : ) It is really just a different attribute mix that is below average on ability to shift from the drops but above average for example in simplicity and the ability to run it with pretty much any cassette, freewheel etc.

Adam

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Just an update

Did a new video that I thought I would post here for those interested. Better shows how system works and can be used for multiple gear changes. Cheers!

Video is at Vimeo.com/retroshift

Adam

X-Ray Guy
    Resurrecting the dead now.....appears they are fully set up and taking orders. Pretty spiffy looking site.
    retroshift | Mud Proof Shifting. Designed by Goats!

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Oh... now in BB7 flavour.

CXV

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Just got reviewed by Cyclocross Magazine. They used the L word to describe our CX shifters. L for LOVE!

We are just now getting picked up by bike shops, hope any who are interested get a chance to try them.

Cheers,

Goats

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I've been running RetroShifts on my CX bike and really like them. I ride with these on and off road and like them more than any STI setups I have used. They are quite intuitive to use and let you run through your gears really fast; almost too fast. The shifters do not interfere with accessing the brakes no matter where they are so I feel like I'm always in control.

L for love indeed!

Side Note:
    I have the Dura-Ace downtube shifters which look sharp. Unfortunately they sometimes feel sharp too. Most of the time it's not an issue, just sometimes if I pull hard on the lever. I'd recomend using one of the shifter option that have more rounded levers and a rubber coating.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    VeloZombie - Thx for feedback. Our new shifters are made with more comfortable coverings now. Just got them back in stock last week.

Cross season is under way and already picking up some wins. Photo of Ron Strasser hard at it on the way to a Masters win at GPTB series race this past Saturday.

VeloZombie - You racing some?

link (if image does not work): TR0C7127 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Cheers,

The Goats
    Retroshift CX | Mud Proof Shifting for Cyclocross. Designed by Goats.