Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Replacement For the Uxbridge Icebreaker??

Found this little tidbit on Pinkbike....

http://www.pinkbike.com/forum/listco...threadid=96216

Can't confirm on the OCA website as the calender seems to have done a David Copperfield..
    If you hurt in your efforts and suffer painful dings. Then you are doing it right.

Loving Life
    I hope it works out, I'm looking forward to the long course and I love mansfield!

Evil Jr.
    Oh cripes, not Mansfield again! Let's see, O-Cup #1, the Spring 8, Lifestyles, a Marathon, the Winter WOW and now this. I love riding there but this is all a bit much.

I say we should all just get together on the day the race SHOULD have been and do a gorilla Icebreaker. Most of us know the forest well enough to make a course and I heard somewhere that 2010 was the year for underground events anyway.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

snowbound
    Jan 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by [I
    I say we should all just get together on the day the race SHOULD have been and do a gorilla Icebreaker.[/I]
    Sounds good to me!

I Wanna Be Sedated
    Gorilla? Guerilla??

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster
    I say we should all just get together on the day the race SHOULD have been and do a gorilla Icebreaker.
    Looks like the OCA has "Homage to Ice" on the calendar:

http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_pa...nfo.php?ID=947
    Jouko

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jouko
    Gorilla? Guerilla??
    Homonyms > me!
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    ...not that there is anything wrong with that!

Homonyms > me!
    Jouko

veldrijder
    Looks like the OCA has "Homage to Ice" on the calendar:

http://www.ontariocycling.org/web_pa...nfo.php?ID=947
    Is this really a good idea? The Icebreaker historically had anywhere from good to horrible conditions, but the singletrack was limited. To race in Mansfield on Apr 11 with a bunch of singletrack in the course sounds like a recipe for trail damage and potentially a less than fun event.

I know everyone's anxious to get on their mtb at the beginning of the season, but it's really not a good idea. Apr 11 is also the date for Hell of the North, so if you want to race your bike in Ontario that day it is the place to be. With the Good Friday road race the week before and Paris-Ancaster the week following, there's plenty to keep us occupied until the first O-Cup.

I Wanna Be Sedated
    I wonder about this as well.

Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    To race in Mansfield on Apr 11 with a bunch of singletrack in the course sounds like a recipe for trail damage and potentially a less than fun event.
    Additionally, as Marc pointed out, with all the Mansfield events in the spring (plus the XC skiing in the winter), it may be one too many events at one place. As much as I love Mansfield, I'll be skipping this one.
    Jouko

veldrijder
    Mansfield is a favourite of mine for sure, which is one reason I'm concerned about tires rolling over those trails that early in the season. Combine that with the many other events held there (even if I'm not doing them all) and yes, it doesn't seem like a great idea to me.

bi-winning
    I'll be skipping this one.
    I'm not interested either. O-Cup 1 and and the Spring 8 provide me with all the Mansfield I need.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

rad to the power of sick
    Mansfield being very sandy should be super resilient to early season snow melt... id venture to say, less trail damage happens when its wet there as opposed to dry.

The Hilton Falls All Weather Challenge has been moved to April 25th, which im bummed about... so I may end up doing this as an early season benchmark.

mtbr member
    May 2009

From the Organizer

Hi everyone, thanks for the interest! A couple issues come up and quite frankly I don't blame you for your concerns, I hope thought that I can address some of them, and that everyone has a good time that weekend where ever we ride.

Trail damage: the course will not be set until mid week before the event. This location was chosen as it is very sandy and the drainage is phenomenal. We have a marathon there later in the year, we don't want these or any other trails ruined. if there is a lot of snow or too much moisture we will be sticking to the forest road/double track and very high single track. It should be fun and a great way to test your legs out on dirt, not a chance to ruin trails! If there is damage to some trails we will be in there fixing them.

To many races at Mansfield: Again I would tend to agree. But we are only using mansfield for the registration and Start Finish line. We would start in the same area that the horses use in Dufferin County Forest and list that as the location, but incase the weather is a little off, and for the bathrooms, we decided to start it at the main lodge. Up the road, and out into the Dufferin County.

Ruining your bike: I will be using my single speed! I wrecked a few bikes at the icebreaker over the years, but I still came back...

This event was started due to someone calling us and begging for a race that weekend. We checked into it and there were others. So here we are. It has taken a lot of work in a short time, but I hope that the people who come out enjoy themselves. We will still be running a great marathon series but I noticed that there is a lack of citizens races for people to start out in the sport at.

I hope to see some of you out there.

Dan

Loving Life
    I will defrinately be making it out for sure, I need a good long race to test out the legs before P2A

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jmoote
    With the Good Friday road race the week before...
    Oh ya, I'll be driving one of the chase cars on Good Friday so mind those centre line infractions or I'll be on you like a fat kid on a Smartie!

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Oh ya, I'll be driving one of the chase cars on Good Friday so mind those centre line infractions or I'll be on you like a fat kid on a Smartie!

PLEASE DO IT!

I don't know if I'm doing Good Friday or not this year, but to be honest, one of the factors would be my dissatisfaction in the last 2 km of the race last year, where I was at or near the front, trying to hold my position for the sprint, when we were not only passed, but boxed in by a long line of riders fragrantly breaking the yellow line rule. I heard one of the strongest riders in our group, who won at least once in M2 last year say, "there goes the %$&#ing race" as it happened, and he was right.

Evil Jr.
    I won't be in much of a position to sprint for the win (or much else) from where I'll be sitting in my race but it has been acknowledged that centre-line infractions were a problem.

There are changes afoot to make the race safer for everyone but the Commissaires (not the HCC) are the ones that are responsible for enforcing the rules. As a driver, all I can do is drive and point.

Gears, beers and slices..
    April 11? Unfortunately I can't make that race. I'll be out riding Copeland Forest as fast as I can with my super agressive knobbies that day.

veldrijder
    The yellow line rule is a tough one - if it's in place, then yes everyone has to follow it or a great advantage can be had by moving up at key times in the opposite lane. On the other hand, I feel that the rule is the cause of well over half the crashes in local races, because guys get bumped over the line (either physically or not) and then have to mash back into the bunch to avoid an infraction.

Much clarification should be made by the OCA on just how the rule is to be enforced - ideally you'd see 100% DQ for those using the opposite lane to advance, but also let people know that they needn't panic if they accidentally end up there, as long as they do not use it to gain advantage.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Keep in mind... its not always the fault of the person crossing the line, sometimes you got to do what you can to avoid the pavement.
    When I get dropped can you pick me up? Thanks!

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Do you have any info on Hell of the North for this year - can't seem to find anything for 2010?

Economy Stimulator
    Sep 2004
    you can borrow my HD vid cam should you wish to document said infractions...but pointing and yelling may be more fun.

Evil Jr.
    The centre line rule is in place mainly in the name of safety. In particular, the 5-0 are really big on it and if there are enough flagrant infractions, they will close roads without consultation (which can end up costing the organisers a lot more money than they had planned AND makes "next year's race" that much more complicated to negotiate).

It's not about people accidentally crossing the line or doing so in the name of self-preservation; it's about keeping the bulk of the race on the correct side of the road.

But yes, the pointing and yelling should be a lot of fun.

veldrijder
    Oh we all know what the real spirit of the rule is, but the commissaires seem to DQ guys who have no choice but to be there momentarily only to "not pay attention" when 10 guys move up all the way to the front.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pizza_Royale
    April 11? Unfortunately I can't make that race. I'll be out riding Copeland Forest as fast as I can with my super agressive knobbies that day.
    Fun fact: as long as your bike is not sporting a number plate trails are impervious to any potential damage caused by it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast