mtbr member

Renting / riding near St. John's?

Hello;

I'm from Calgary and am visiting a friend in St. John's right now. I'm unexpectedly going to have a free day this Thursday and was wondering if there are any bike shops in the city that rent decent mountain bikes for the day. Also, I'm a bit curious as to what trail you would suggest if you could only ride one in the area - preferably something technical / scenic.

I'm a fairly skilled rider that's been riding seriously for quite some time. Ideally, I'm looking for a ride in the 20 - 40 km range (although I've got no problems doing anything longer), and though I don't mind hitting up smaller drops and gaps I'd prefer something closer to the AM side of things rather than the DH side.

Thanks so much in advance for all your help.

Dorkimus Prime
    Hey there,

I'm now ten years removed from the Rock, but may be of some assistance. A technical and scenic trail network close to St.John's would be the Southside Hills trails. These are literally the hills on the south side of St.John's very scenic harbour. There used to be freeride stuff up there.

Alternatively, St.John's is really nothing but alot of hills and valleys with some great, but not really technical trails inside the city. You could start in Pippy Park, very close to the Confederation building and take a trail(I think Rennie's Mill) right down to the heart of downtown St.John's. Parts of it are cobblestoned if I remember correctly. Then ride up Signal Hill(a National Historic Site), which would be a great burn with incredible views. Then head west across Water Street then Waterford Bridge Road to Bowring Park which used to have a little single track(the trail head was right behind the kids playground). Maybe ask a park staffer where the Capsules(sp?) are

For a bike try Freeride Mountain Sports on Water Street downtown. Pricey, but they have nice crap. The owner was a guy named Chris who played in a great punk band. Tell him you were a big Schizoid fan - you may get a discount. They would know good rides as well.

For great pubs try The Republic or the Duke of Duckworth...

For Fish and Chips Ches's or Leo's.

Take care.

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks so much for the help. I'll definitely be checking out Freeride mountain sports and the advice on pubs and eats is always helpful as well.

If you're ever planning a trip out West, shoot me a PM and I'd be glad to repay the favor!

cheers
    x-ker

Muskoka
    Signal Hill is right in the city and amazing on a nice sunny day
    http://picasaweb.google.com/BlackCanoeDog
    2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 RSL
    2015 RSD Mayor

Dorkimus Prime
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog
    Signal Hill is right in the city and amazing on a nice sunny day
    Also good for romancing later on in the evenings. Nudge-nudge. Wink-wink.

Good Canadian taxpayer's dollars removing the virtue of young women for over 50+ years! They should make that their slogan.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie
    Also good for romancing later on in the evenings. Nudge-nudge. Wink-wink.

Good Canadian taxpayer's dollars removing the virtue of young women for over 50+ years! They should make that their slogan.
    Hey, I'm over 50+ years. If I can score with young women (virtuous or otherwise) on Signal Hill then it is even a more amazing place than I remember it to be!!!
    http://picasaweb.google.com/BlackCanoeDog
    2011 Rocky Mountain Altitude 70 RSL
    2015 RSD Mayor

mtbr member
    Just a quick follow up ride report.

My unexpected free day got cancelled - my other friend had some problems getting his motorcycle insurance company to let him borrow and ride another friend's motorcycle for the day so no MTB rides for me.

From some phone calls that week:
    Freeride mountain sports no longer rents bikes. They referred me to The Outfitters.
    The Outfitters rents low end hardtails. Over the phone, I was told that the bikes would be OK for romping around the cities paved paths and hitting up some gravel roads, but when I mentioned that I was looking to ride something technical they told me to talk to Freeride to find the trails and that their bikes would not be any good for the type of riding I was hoping to do.