mtbr member
    Jul 2005

Refresh my memory...what are the dryer areas of Durham Forest for shoulder seasons?

Going to ride Durham tomorrow since it's not cold yet. It's wet though, so I am wondering, are there are areas that are better than others during wet periods? Is the North East most area, the Durham Forest proper the best bet? What about Walker Woods or Glen Major? Being a sandy, gravel filled morraine, it's already better than many other mtb trails in Ontario, but I wonder what areas are the most well drained. I won't be riding there when the ground is freezing but free of snow though, so no worries.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    The whole area drains very well, the only questionable area is the southern most trails around 3 rock. Everything north of there should be fine tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Makes sense. Will avoid 3 rocks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Face Visor View Post
    The whole area drains very well, the only questionable area is the southern most trails around 3 rock. Everything north of there should be fine tomorrow.
    Technically that's Glen Major/Walker Woods area...

Anyway, Durham forest should be dry except for one or two puddles, but most of it is sand.

GM and WW will have mud and puddles in some of the older built singletrack especially in the lower areas. I wouldn't go south of marker 12 if I wanted to only ride in dry areas.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Started at the Forest Centre and crossed to the Headwaters Walker property at the Cell Towers and rode around there and went back to the Durham Forest proper. Sandy morraine is perfect for wet conditions. Nice cool day. Ride was great. Will keep riding there this year as long as conditions are decent.