Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

RedBull Race The Place

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  superlightracer 
#1 ·
#5 ·
The event went over really well.

There were a few crashes over the little rollers at the start finish during the time trials. 95% of them were people on fixed gears. Pumping and flowing on a fixed gear has gotta be tough.

The final race was super fun to watch. As expected those with race experience made their way to the front and quickly pulled away from the rest.

I was super impressed to see the eventual winner hold his own on the course on a fixed gear. The guys he was riding with weren't slouches by any means.

I expect next year the event will have a much deeper field and be even better attended.

Vis Takes Victory at Red Bull Race the Place - Photo | Red Bull Bike

#7 ·
That Fish guy was a beast! I was with him John and Chris for the first 1/4 of the race - you could tell he had more jam packed away just in case someone put an attack on him.

Props to Chris for crashing pretty hard in the cave on lap 1 and still coming back and snatching 4th - the cave was definitely the sketchiest part of the course - followed by the downhill descent over the bridge around that tight corner.

I ended up 7th/10th overall - on my last 3 laps I blew up and fell back with an awesome road racer named Bob!

Glad they took out those roadie trap rollers for the actual race I don't think they would of been fun at race pace - a girl broke her collar bone on them in the morning and there were a good chunk of crashes by others people.

Also I heard the event lost money overall so hopefully it's back next year.

#8 ·
T

Also I heard the event lost money overall so hopefully it's back next year.
Reality is there isn't exactly a big demand for Alley Cat type races outside of the courier world. This concept of racing has been tried before 1996, 97, and 98 back when Dunhill was involved.

That died off as well. Alley Cats are a true bare bones underground race. Self organized and fun as hell.

#9 ·
Given that the event was only locked down 45 days before the actual event, i'm pretty impressed they were able to pull it off. I think if they moved it into May and put a few months of promotion, it could easily be three or four times the size.

Also.. they need to condense the event. Make it start at 12 noon, and make it 30 seconds between riders.. not 90. It's far too exhausting for spectators, participants and us expo guys to put in a 14 hour day on those park grounds.

Either way, for an inaugural running, they did a great job. It was really cool to see the knicker wearing, 'one less car' demographic alongside the sausage suits.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.