Looking for Adventure

Recognizing the Enemy

By buddies and I were out snowshoeing our usual route last night at Albion Hills, and came across this older (ie. older than me) guy walking his dog. He was interested in what we were doing and why, and we got him interested in the thought of adventure racing or, at the very least, orienteering. He liked exploring long distance and remote trails, and thought about moving his interest and fitness to the next level.

He them moved the conversation to mountain biking and how mountain bikers have destroyed Albion Hills with erosion and that he should put up barbed wire everywhere to stop them. We then spilled out some facts on how scientific experiments have proven there is no difference in the erosion between hiking and mountain biking, that the trails he enjoyed walking on were built and maintained by mountain bikers, and that mountain bikers and their event promoters had financially saved Albion Hills.

Undeterred and unconvinced he went on to more hate crime words.

So, we asked him if he ever paid to use the park. And obviously, the answer was no, because he was a local resident and had been able to walk these trails for years.

Gotcha Buddy!

Then we announced that we were mountain bikers, that we ride here frequently, that we pay the annual usage fee, pay for skiing, and pay for various events at Albion Hills.
    And, as far as we were concerned, he was trespassing and had no voice in the matter.

He went quiet, thought about it, then reluctantly agreed that “complaining without paying” gave him no rights. However, he did feel a right to this park for his own use as he walked away……and muttered “I’ll be back”.

The moral of this story is that I see this type of person all the time on the trails. They park outside the park and walk in to hike. They never pay for anything, believing that their local taxes are sufficient (Albion is NOT locally funded). They never volunteer for anything, and contribute virtually nothing. And they are usually middle age to older folks who live in the area. But they complain about mountain bikers all the time, including at public hearing meetings.

Next time you see someone at Albion Hills who is hiking and apparently upset with mountain bikers, politely ask them if they paid any fees. If not, you have every right to tell them they are trespassing and ask them to leave. These people have no rights !
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way

bi-winning
    If I'm not mistaken a pass for Albion is only $65 for the year. That seems pretty good compared to some other options: Hardwood $200, Kelso/Hilton $90.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

mtbr member

Good for you guys!

Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    By buddies and I were out snowshoeing our usual route last night at Albion Hills, and came across this older (ie. older than me) guy walking his dog. He was interested in what we were doing and why, and we got him interested in the thought of adventure racing or, at the very least, orienteering. He liked exploring long distance and remote trails, and thought about moving his interest and fitness to the next level.

He them moved the conversation to mountain biking and how mountain bikers have destroyed Albion Hills with erosion and that he should put up barbed wire everywhere to stop them. We then spilled out some facts on how scientific experiments have proven there is no difference in the erosion between hiking and mountain biking, that the trails he enjoyed walking on were built and maintained by mountain bikers, and that mountain bikers and their event promoters had financially saved Albion Hills.

Undeterred and unconvinced he went on to more hate crime words.

So, we asked him if he ever paid to use the park. And obviously, the answer was no, because he was a local resident and had been able to walk these trails for years.

Gotcha Buddy!

Then we announced that we were mountain bikers, that we ride here frequently, that we pay the annual usage fee, pay for skiing, and pay for various events at Albion Hills.
    And, as far as we were concerned, he was trespassing and had no voice in the matter.

He went quiet, thought about it, then reluctantly agreed that “complaining without paying” gave him no rights. However, he did feel a right to this park for his own use as he walked away……and muttered “I’ll be back”.

The moral of this story is that I see this type of person all the time on the trails. They park outside the park and walk in to hike. They never pay for anything, believing that their local taxes are sufficient (Albion is NOT locally funded). They never volunteer for anything, and contribute virtually nothing. And they are usually middle age to older folks who live in the area. But they complain about mountain bikers all the time, including at public hearing meetings.

Next time you see someone at Albion Hills who is hiking and apparently upset with mountain bikers, politely ask them if they paid any fees. If not, you have every right to tell them they are trespassing and ask them to leave. These people have no rights !
    My blood started boiling as soon as I got to the part about mountain bikers destroying trails. You make a great point about these folks being clueless about the damage we don't actually do...The funny part about it especially when it comes to Albion Hills is that as you said, it's existence is somewhat owed to the mtb community. This type of ignorance by a non-paying, uneducated, freeloader is unacceptable. It would be nice to know what the TRCA thinks about this demographic in respect to how much they actually contribute to support the parks...It's unfortunate there are a few of these Jurassic folk still around. However, we can only hope that they are on the decline and their numbers continue to shrink. Not that we discourage hikers, just one's that are clueless about the nature of damage inflicted on multi-use trails...

Neil
    A bad day on the bike is better than a good day doing anything else...

http://www.apexracephotography.com

banned
    Feb 2005
    I always enjoy your posts Ricksom. I have talked to a few people over the years that share this guys anti MTB view and they have all been over the age of 60. Hopefully this will mean that eventually people will not bash such a great activity.

mtbr member
    ,love it

Bored
    Yes I know my enemies
    They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
    Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
    Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite
    MTBR is serious stuff.

NormalNorm
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    Yes I know my enemies
    They're the teachers who taught me to fight me
    Compromise, conformity, assimilation, submission
    Ignorance, hypocrisy, brutality, the elite

All of which are American dreams.......

I <3 29ers
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricksom
    Rights or not, with departing words like those i'm more inclined to think, blindly, that you pissed him off and that he'll be back, with wire in hand.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand that you want to confront people about cheating the system, and I applaud you for this, but this ..... no one needs this type of possible retaliation. I don't want to have to ride AH in DH-type gear for fear of being be-headed.
    I ..... need ..... DIRT!!!!!

... and cookies.

Misfit Psycles
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Rights or not...fear of being be-headed.
    andrew you take bigger risks going to work every day...fear not...at your height it would do nothing more then knick your nipples or something.

ricksom, i love that quote:
    THESE PEOPLE HAVE NO RIGHTS

that is the kind of intelligent activism i like to see in the MTB community. friendly - educational - direct - (if necessary) confrontational. yes he'll be back, once he's sat with his wife and thoroughly discussed what he shoulda, oughta said...no doubt with a quote ala Costanza "oh ya, well the jerk store called..."

the point is, he walked away - an admission of guilt. who knows maybe you got through?

mistermiester, i dont know the numbers, i dont know if what you speak is true...but there is no doubt in my mind that mtb's do contribute disproportionately to the financial well-being of albion...thats why i made the request of Jason to request cycling specific passes from the trca HERE. no response yet but maybe it will get through. it sure would be nice if an effort was made to verify that point.
    Expert of the Internet.
    BECAUSE I SAID SO

Looking for Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by AndrewTO
    Rights or not, with departing words like those i'm more inclined to think, blindly, that you pissed him off and that he'll be back, with wire in hand.

Don't get me wrong, I can understand that you want to confront people about cheating the system, and I applaud you for this, but this ..... no one needs this type of possible retaliation. I don't want to have to ride AH in DH-type gear for fear of being be-headed.
    Fortunately, we have a positive I.D. of the man, and will recognize him again. My buddy is also the president of the Caledon Navigators, and did a very good sales good of trying to get him to join this orienteering/adventure racing club. What this man doesn't know is that most of these members are also mountain bikers.......
    SUCCESS - To be able to spend life in your own way