banned

Ravenshoe Lets Built it back up

Does anyone want to built up Ravenshoe
    it looks like it has been a long time since the trail has been maintained
    the bridges and stunts are mostly ran down or all together gone
    lets get together and built it back up better then ever ANY IDEAS ??

Singlespeed Mysty

I don't ride the stunts or bridges... but do ride there...

I think before anyone starts any work there, we need to find out who really does take care of these trails?

I ride there and would love to help out on a weekend if I can...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 1mystk
    I think before anyone starts any work there, we need to find out who really does take care of these trails?

I ride there and would love to help out on a weekend if I can...

From what I have herd whoever was doing it is no longer taking care of it
    the MNR clears the fallen trees but they do not build

Bored
    It is York Regional Forest; therefore, the region of York is responsible. Every time I go there now, I try and spend a few minutes to block of Cheater Lines, and make the trail more challenging. It seems in vain. People just want to take the easy way out and ride the straightest fastest line. How sad.

Perhaps if everyone spent a few minutes out there and continued to block the easy lines off, it would make the trails more challenging again.

Also, as people continue to simplify the trail, it is allowing ATV's into the network. This will certainly affect the long term viability of the trails.

As far as trail features, I have no problem with them, as long as they aren't ridiculous. Rebuild the existing ones on Big Meany. Keep them to the difficult trails so that people will have to have the skill set required to attempt them. But don't build them so that there is no option but the feature. The way riders have built in Bayview Stoufville is an excellent example of how NOT to build features.
    Last edited by bigwheelboy_490; 10-23-2007 at 06:37 PM.
    MTBR is serious stuff.
    You never get better until you get out of your comfort zone.

banned
    We should build them on the hard trails like Big meany and Skunk
    and always as an option

Bike Junkie
    Won't we need permission from York region. Considering they tore down all the ramps and stunts before. What says they won't do it again.

I just rode there last weekend and yes, there "cheater" lanes sucked and it would appear that they are just as used as the normal line. Maybe we need to get those "trail closed" signs or maybe just a big red "X" posted there.
    See You On The Trails!

Bored
    I was out at Ravenshoe and found things very frustrating today. Cheater lines I had previously blocked off were completely open again. I blocked them off again. However, an hour later the line I had previously blocked off was open again. This can only lead me to believe the people doing this are complete a$$holes.

If you see a cheater line, block it off. If you see someone opening or starting a cheater line, ask him or her to stop. If they refuse, KICK them, spit on them, and scream profanities at them.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    MTBR is serious stuff.

Singlespeed Mysty

feel the love...or hit a tree...

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheelboy_490
    I was out at Ravenshoe and found things very frustrating today. Cheater lines I had previously blocked off were completely open again. I blocked them off again. However, an hour later the line I had previously blocked off was open again. This can only lead me to believe the people doing this are complete a$$holes.

If you see a cheater line, block it off. If you see someone opening or starting a cheater line, ask him or her to stop. If they refuse, KICK them, spit on them, and scream profanities at them.
    yes, I saw your frustration BWB... I kind felt it at the end there just before we finished our ride...

we should round us up some peoples and go out and fix these trails...

I personally like Ravenshoe for the fact that it has lots of variety, but mostly the challenge of being able to go through some funky twists and turns... I still have yet to feel comfortable riding BIG MEANY, but the rest of the trails are awesome in there... especially when in good company Mr. and Mrs. BWB ...

riding at Ravenshoe has helped my skills and there seem to be some lazy people out there who decide they don't want to follow the real path and take the shortcut... if you can't ride a section - get off your bike and walk it - there is no shame in that ... try it next time, get a friend to spot you so you can try it without getting hurt ... this is what I do, and almost always the second or third time I will end up riding it.

trail conditions otherwise were awesome... some slippy roots - but it was worth it getting out. some nice fall colours...next time we should bring a camera with us while we are riding... much good my camera did sitting in the car! DOAH!!!!

two good things came out of today though... puppies in love and a good ride otherwise!
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

banned
    What cheeter lines are you guys talking about
    I ride there 2 to 3 times a week and I have not noticed any change in the trail for the last 2 years and if someone gets in over thier head and cut across the trail ?? so what big deal.
    But what I would like to see is some new man made stuff specialy on skunk and big meany.Not on the main trail but off to the side some new skinies a couple of nice 4 foot ladder bridges to drops that would b nice. Some how big meany is not mean enogh

I already rode that
    I havent been to Ravenshoe in a couple years but for "cheater lines" having an alternate line is sometimes good but most trails dont have such lines. Riders need to learn that if they cant clear the section they should walk it but instead they sooner make a "cheater line".

Sometimes there is just a turn and then they find it too hard to slowdown so sooner make a newer line that they dont have to turn as much. Of course then they call such actions "flow"
    Riding F/S since oct 94'

bi-winning
    Quote Originally Posted by SuperNewb
    Of course then they call such actions "flow"
    Yup, i think that is exactly what it is. people cannot clear the obstacle without slowing down. they do not want to slow down, so they feel the urge to alter the trail.
    When under pressure, your level of performance will sink to your level of preparation.

Shorthills Cycling Club

banned
    Yaa I have seen those but we still take every obsticle bridge teater and all I don't know about you guy's but I ride that so much that It does not bother me
    and sometimes if a few are rideing in a GROUP it helps the weaker riders to keep up with their friends

Bored
    Problem is Artin, if each time someone takes the shorter line to keep up, that becomes the main route. Then the trail is straigher, easier, and just not challenging. A winding trails also keeps speed down which can prevent any trail accidents from riding into another user.

Also, as I mentioned earlier, the lines getting straigher are allowing the ATV's into the network.
    MTBR is serious stuff.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackOut
    Won't we need permission from York region.
    Yes you would. And if anyone wants to tackle getting riders at that property organized, even in a haphazard fashion email or PM me and we'll talk. I don't mind giving up the contact info but I'd like to touch base with whoever on the few conversations I've already head with the guy.
    Jason Murray
    Rep for Ontario, IMBA Canada
    Visit the IMBA Canada site to keep current on all things IMBA in Canada.

banned
    Feb 2005
    Hikers quite often create cheater lines or trail Braids. They do not get the flow of a twisting trail that we do. They can cut the corners through rough stuff with ease and no worries about a stick in their spokes.