View Poll Results: Are your technical skills better than those around you mountain biking?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

24 37.50%
  • No

40 62.50%
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Rate Your Technical

Stemming from a variety of stuff I've seen posted and a stat I once saw...'80% of people believe they are better than the average driver'.

So I ask, just for giggles 'compared to the people you generally ride with, the people you see on the trails, or the dreaded racer crowd. Are your technical skills better than them?

Poll is private (if I did it right)

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Obviously. Because I don't demand that logs, rocks, and roots be removed because it impedes my progress. And will cause a blip on my HRM and decrease my Strava ego.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Compared to the people I generally ride with, absolutely not, they're as good or better than me, and sometimes by a lot. By some weird coincidence I've always ended up in a riding group that's filled with ridiculously talented riders. Compared to the people I see on the trails, yup, I'm better, no question.

Racers, it depends. A lot of DH racers are better, or at least they have bigger balls. XC is hard to say, a lot of the folks who've been racing for 10-20 years are likely every bit as good as I am. The less experienced racers, I can probably make them cry in the technical stuff but that's to be expected given how long I've been riding and the talent level of the people I ride with.

Dorkimus Prime
    Opposite of Aerius, I usually ride with amateurs, dudes that bought bikes in the 90's, smokers and other misc. motley types. I always look like the pro.
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

GAME ON!
    nope. everybody rides better than me. i'm not hurt by it.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Lemmy Rules!
    No. Most of the people I ride with really know how to handle a bike. I wouldn't have it any other way-the best way to improve is to ride with better riders
    Strava made me do it....

No. Just No. Moderator
    No. Just no. Living in B.C. the bar is set pretty high if one wants to think of themselves as being an upper crust rider in the skillz department.

mtbr member
    No. My technical skills are worse than the people I ride with, like way worse, like only better than the woman that crashes and lands on her face. Luckily my legs and lungs are way better than the people I ride with so you'd have win Sport class races or ride in the Expert class to drop me.

mtbr member
    I voted "no". My XC technical skills are average but declining due to fear of injury. As I get older I get more cautious, and that is a bad thing when it comes to technical riding. But I never had to walk the bone shaker at Hardwood (or similar technical sections in o-cup riding).

If we are talking about North Shore type of riding I don't even show up on the radar.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    KHS Team 29
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

GAME ON!
    i want to ride with all of you guys.. then maybe i could change my vote.
    RIP Adam Yauch

"M.C. for what I AM and do, the A is for Adam and the lyrics; true"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    No. Just no. Living in B.C. the bar is set pretty high if one wants to think of themselves as being an upper crust rider in the skillz department.
    All of the BC trails are compared to here.. shall we say night and day. The easiest green mtb trail at Lost Lake is way tougher then a green beginner trail here. And the trails at Lost Lake have been worked on in the last few years. Same as in alpine skiing and run grading.

But one has to also realize in BC you have no choice but to develop your skills in mountain biking. Because if not you will be stuck to kitty litter trails like rail trail. While here in Ontario to improve your skills you have to make a concious effort to develop them.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    No. Not even close. I usually ride with the BicycleWorks crew at Waterdown...and they have been riding all of their lives (including dirt bikes/motocross). They are highly technical...more than I will ever be. Plus, I am too old take the chance of injury on much of the stuff they make look easy.

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I'd say I'm middle of the pack among the people I ride with regularly. Like BC, if you want to ride anything but the old rail bed and fire roads out here you have to develop some technical skills.

mtbr member
    I tended to ride with a few current and ex trials guys, dirt jump/street guys, so their skills are mad on certain things. So, I have some pretty decent low speed skills. I can ride really skinny stuff, pivot around, pedal kick off something from static and get up and down off some tricky stuff. I am old by MTB standards and I won't huck myself off anything big or catch much air anymore. I also slow down quite a bit more than I used to cause it takes a month to recover from anything these days. I like rocks and lots of other features on a trail, just won't/can't hammer it anymore. Also learning to sort of ride trials made me appreciate slowing down and "sessioning" some specific feature. I'll hang around something and ride it one way, backwards and sideways of possible. There are lots of guys with better skills or faster but it is of no matter to me. I ride what I like to ride at the speed I like to ride. It's a good attitude to have I suppose when you have 20+ years on you fellow riders sometimes.

Evil Jr.
    Meh, it really depends who's out on a given ride but I voted no FWIW. Most locals (like philshep, for instance) eat rocky sections of the Bruce for breakfast. To analogize, I'm in the league but I'm not a top scorer.

That being said, I did finish the BC Bike Race quite respectably on a rigid single speed so I can't be all thumbs either.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Interesting poll result.

I created the thread, really out of curiosity. I guess it probably stems more from commentary about racing and how it seems that more often than not (at least written and from my perception), people always say the more technical a course, the better they would do. I was also triggered by reading quite a few Steaming Nostril race reports (not just here) and more often than not, it seems like everyone passed all sorts of people on the rail trail, but no on ever seems to have gotten passed.

Me personally, I think there is a wide range of what encompasses technical ability. Some places I excel, others I flounder. Some days are good, others are bad. In some groups I look like Hans Rey, in others like Rey Hans (his horribly clumsy younger brother).

I Strava Hamburgers
    My dislocated shoulder wouldn't let me vote yes.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

sore member
    Yes, but only because I like introducing friends to the sport.

There are plenty of people around here that I only rarely ride with that make me look like a complete amateur.

mtbr member
    As far as racing goes and hacks complaining about how easy World Cup courses, those people are either dumb or completely delusional. They have no idea how fast pros are riding their bikes.

Local riders complaining about local courses? Probably the same thing. They get dropped and then say "Yeah, I could have got them if the course was harder"

Sure you could have. Sure.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    guys i ride with - im better than some and worse than a few, all pends on the skills involved (cannot manual to save my life, but faster through the tech for example)
    guys riding same trails as me - probably closer to the bottom of the ladder
    racing - getting spanked left right and center

humber river advocate
    I consider myself an average rider...
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    As far as racing goes and hacks complaining about how easy World Cup courses, those people are either dumb or completely delusional. They have no idea how fast pros are riding their bikes.

Local riders complaining about local courses? Probably the same thing. They get dropped and then say "Yeah, I could have got them if the course was harder"

Sure you could have. Sure.
    +1 on that one. I think almost any trail can be a huge challenge if you are going fast enough and you have to have respect for racing speeds. I have never raced and ride flat pedals because of the kind of riding I like to do. However, I have huge respect for guys ripping it through the the trails. It is a skill that a lot of people can't appreciate as they are not fast enough.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I got mad skillz yo. I voted yes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Obviously it depends where the trail is. In Ontario, I'm comfortable in almost any technical situation. During the BC Bike Race last year, I was limited not by fitness, but back and arm strength. The level of technical challenge wasn't much higher than what we've got here, but a 10m long rock garden is a long way from a 3km long rock garden... (hardtail didn't help!).

Regarding complaints of race courses... Feh. I'd been mountain biking for over 10 years when I started racing. I was confident I could handle anything. Turned out I had to totally re-learn how to mountain bike... I'd lose 10 ft. to my competition on every single tight turn. Riding at race speed and race intensity is an entirely different experience.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    For reference to technical trails the BCBR uses mostly poodle path level trails compared to what is actually considered technical in BC.

They no longer have an opening stage on the Shore, word is that it was just way too technical. They used what is generally considered to be the easiest trails on the Shore.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast