Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sheep in FOX clothing

Rasmussen says Hesjedal, McGrath, Sheppard Took his Advice on How to Dope

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I guess Roland Green is the last one left standing from that crew.

ups and downs
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    not so much

Roland Green Suspension
    I'm a member of NSMBA and IMBA Canada

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    For sure, but I was thinking we'd probably hear something new and juicier before too long. Sadly, it's hard to imagine he wasn't using EPO.

Chicken or egg? Moderator
    Not really. Green already got sanctioned and served his time, although not for EPO but for another substance. If I remember correctly, green said he had a TUE for it previously but hadn't kept his paperwork up-to-date, but my recollection may not be 100% on this.

As for these 3 in today's news, I obviously have no first-hand knowledge. What I do know is that if anyone thinks that our athletes are somehow immune to doping violations due to some purported superior morals and sense of fair play related to our national culture, they're mistaken. That's been proven time and time again across multiple sports.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    And Mcgrath was pulled from the World's way back in the 1990s with too high of a hematocrit. I'm just thinking this latest bunch of accusations is a little more substantial -- EPO while living in Michael Rasmussen''s basement? The big time!

This also drags Shepard back into things. His confession when he got busted for EPO certainly doesn't jive with Rasmussen's story. Also, wasn't he at cyclocross worlds last January representing Canada? I thought his original suspension meant no future national funding. It's just cross though so I suppose he may have done it on his own dime.

sheep in FOX clothing
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryder
    I have loved and lived this sport but more than a decade ago, I chose the wrong path.
    That was quick.

Seriously, did he have the confessional email already typed out and saved as a draft, and just pressed "send" when the story 'broke'?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    That was quick.

Seriously, did he have the confessional email already typed out and saved as a draft, and just pressed "send" when the story 'broke'?
    I think they might all have drafts.

Quote Originally Posted by ghettocruiser View Post
    I guess in a situation that's already gone to crap I respect the admission of guilt (who knows whether partial or complete disclosure?) more than lame denials. That doesn't mean I respect the guy for what he's done, only that he chose wisely in swallowing his bitter pill and instead of making it into a circus. Of course, it could have been a lot better too if he'd actually admitted prior to having his hand forced by Rasmussen's book. Admission without duress of prior doping among pros is extremely rare, but it's not unprecedented.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Pretty sure Ryder fessed up awhile back but it wasn't made public.

In a statement, USADA CEO Travis Tygart confirmed that Hesjedal told anti-doping authorities about his use of PEDs.

“We can confirm that USADA, along with the Canadian Center for Ethics in Sport (CCES), interviewed cyclist, Ryder Hesjedal, earlier this year as part of our ongoing investigation into the sport of cycling,” Tygart said. “Athletes like him, and others, who have voluntarily come in, taken accountability for their actions and have been fully truthful, are essential to securing a brighter future for the sport of cycling. As in all cases, where there is actionable evidence of doping within the statute of limitations, we have imposed discipline and announced sanctions.”
    Hesjedal admits to doping: 'I chose the wrong path' - VeloNews.com

So they've likely had the press release ready and just waiting for it to go public before hitting send.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    And let the Internet Angry Mob gather......

Don't forget the pitch forks and torches.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

sock puppet
    Quote Originally Posted by smarty View Post
    I think they might all have drafts.
    heck, even i have a draft...
    Signature

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Circlip View Post
    Admission without duress of prior doping among pros is extremely rare, but it's not unprecedented.
    I am tending to think that this is why we need some form of organized mass-confession, and amnesty for those who do confess. Then we can learn what we all suspect - everyone did it at least once or twice, lots did it more, and Simeoni and Bassons were the only ones who didn't (which probably isn't true either). Then we can finally move on.

Quote Originally Posted by osokolo
    I told you before, boner medicine doesn't count.

Evil Jr.
    I am tending to think that this is why we need some form of organized mass-confession, and amnesty for those who do confess. Then we can learn what we all suspect - everyone did it at least once or twice, lots did it more, and Simeoni and Bassons were the only ones who didn't (which probably isn't true either). Then we can finally move on.
    When USADA dragged that whole crew in for questioning on the Armstrong train-wreck, they all go amnesty of a sort that allowed them to start racing almost immediately last season. (Most of them are retiring this year but that's beside the point.)

I'd be fine with something like that just so we can finally flush the system once and for all.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by osokolo View Post
    Maybe you shouldn't be riding with the jersey zipper undone will solve the problem.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

As for these 3 in today's news, I obviously have no first-hand knowledge. What I do know is that if anyone thinks that our athletes are somehow immune to doping violations due to some purported superior morals and sense of fair play related to our national culture, they're mistaken. That's been proven time and time again across multiple sports.
    There is a very simple reason. We always want to believe the best in people and that they are not doing questionable things. So when Ryder cheats, find out our co worker threw us under the bus, or the friend and neighbour who we thought was nice and a good person. Everyone acts all shocked that this has happened, that our belief in their goodness was false.

Happens everyday outside of sport and really is nothing new in daily life.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    Happens everyday outside of sport and really is nothing new in daily life.
    Doesn't make it right.

Simeoni and Bassons were the only ones who didn't (which probably isn't true either)
    Simeoni was a vroom vroom Dr. Ferrari client. That's what got him into the whole mess when he tried to speak out and Armstrong very publicly put the omerta noose on him, plus had his team mates to do same.

And let the Internet Angry Mob gather......

Don't forget the pitch forks and torches.
    Here's what Geoff Kabush thinks about the subject;

https://twitter.com/GeoffKabush/stat...95294635700224

Evil Jr.

Wow, no punches were pulled that day.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007

Seems to be a common theme these days in a lot of places. See it a lot at work and so does my wife with her players. Get in trouble, half baked apology which is immediately followed by finger pointing.

Ugh...say you did it....you made the choice.....take the consequences like an adult.....and carry on. Stop acting like a bunch of spoilt 4 year old brats.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    And Mcgrath was pulled from the World's way back in the 1990s with too high of a hematocrit. I'm just thinking this latest bunch of accusations is a little more substantial -- EPO while living in Michael Rasmussen''s basement? The big time!

This also drags Shepard back into things. His confession when he got busted for EPO certainly doesn't jive with Rasmussen's story. Also, wasn't he at cyclocross worlds last January representing Canada? I thought his original suspension meant no future national funding. It's just cross though so I suppose he may have done it on his own dime.
    A LETTER OF APOLOGY FROM CHRIS SHEPPARD | News | Mobile
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Ugh...say you did it....you made the choice.....take the consequences like an adult.....and carry on. Stop acting like a bunch of spoilt 4 year old brats.
    Or, just don't do "it" in the first place.

Now here's an interesting question. Sheppard's letter is from 2005, stating one-time use. The info in Rasmussen's book, which seems to have been corroborated now by Hesjedal's admission, is about events in 2003. Here's an excerpt below from the original article link that kicked off this thread. It's not really clear from the wording whether "taught them" means only observation / demonstration, or actual use. So, are we to understand that Hesjedal went ahead and used EPO, but Sheppard who was also there with them in Ras' basement did not until several years later, one and one time only that aligned with him actually getting busted? The details aren't entirely clear, but seems possible that Sheppard's 2005 apology letter may not have been entirely forthcoming or factual.

A good result in the world championships [2003] could send them to the Olympics in Athens in 2004," Rasmussen wrote. "They moved into my basement in August, before I went to the Vuelta a Espana, and right after I had ridden the Meisterschaft von Zurich. There, they stayed around 14 days' time. I trained with them in the Dolomites and taught them how to [make] vitamin injections and how you took EPO and Synacthen [cortisone]."

The CBC hasn't verified any allegations in the book."

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Or, just don't do "it" in the first place.
    That is each persons choice. So if they decide it is worth the risk that is their choice and consequences to face.

Problem is with the Internet is now people get on their high morale horse and place judgement. As the old saying goes...people in glass houses should not cast the first stone. So now everyone starts wringing hands and going on about the situation. And failing to admit that they wanted to believe someone is good but the reality of what they are actually like. Well...that upsets them more.

Reality is we have known for years that high performance sport at that level is rife with questionable activities. We just want to believe that people like Ryder are better then that despite the evidence to the contrary.

Funny thing with this is how people are upset with this, " they went to far". Yet far to often when they failed to win because they refused to do what was necessary. Well, as always it becomes "They failed to do enough". This again is seen every where now days.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Oct 2005

geez we got beat by Hamilton in Mt Washington and Seamus in the P2A,

According to the excerpts from the Dane’s book, the then-mountainbike rider Hesjedal along with two other Canadian riders, Seamus McGrath and Chris Sheppard were taught by him “how to do vitamin injections and how to take EPO and Synacthen.”

now I understand
    ya and they beat me by a long way.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast