mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Races for newbies in 2008

I know, it's said to start thinking of the 2008 season, But I'm looking for something for my wife to "try" racing with. a 26k race is not exactly her style just yet, she's more of a recreational rider, but she's looking for something to mark as a first "target" I've shown her the "Pond 2 Pond" on the lake to lake web site and she seemed interested, but I'm wondering if there is something similar run in Durham in the spring (around may/june) I've suggested the Ice-breaker, but that draws some "you must be mad" looks

Any suggestions? or a website with a calendar of events? I looked on the IMBA canada website, but the 2007 calendar still says "2007 IMBA Canada Calendar coming soon"

I'm going to run the Ice-breaker next year and aim for the lake to lake as well

IMBA-GORBA Bike Patrol
    Check the Chico site and the OCA site but wait until after the new year.
    ENJOY LIFE RIDE A BIKE
    Blur XC black
    Chameleon gray
    Nomad Black
    V10 black
    True North 853

mtbr member
    A good start in Durham would be the Weekly Thursday night series (http://www.bikenxs.com/). Other options are the Beginer Class at O-cups I think they are usually about 15ish KM (check the Chico site).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I second the Bikenxs series on Thursdays in Durham Forest. In general, weekly series are the way to go for new racers. Another good one with a very relaxed and fun atmosphere is the Wednesday night Ganaraska series run by Wildrock.

Other than the relaxed atmosphere, another great thing about the weekly series is that new racers will progress quickly, and they will be able to see that improvement quickly in a weekly series.

Evil Jr.
    I love the Icebreaker but it's been years since that was a genuine beginner's race.

The beginner class at O-Cups is probably a good goal but weekly series are almost always more fun.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Singlespeed Mysty
    then there is the Tuesday night race series at Albion - which I will do next year ... and if I don't do at least a few of them (depending on work schedule - I may miss a few) there will be a "who can toss Mysty the furthest" contest to give me $hyte for not attending... .. I know Noggs will be first in line... for the rest of you, take numbers

Wednesday races at King Trails...

and of course there is no reason not to try the 8 hour races, or even the Fly Gurlz 10 hour All womens' relay next year...

lot's to choose from ...
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com

veldrijder
    Weekly races are probably the most friendly/non-intimidating events. The pond2pond is a very easy 20k, but I guess I say that having rode it this year with a friend who was new to racing, when I normally do the 50k L2L.

mtbr member
    Probably the most beginner friendly race I have seen was the Fly Gurlz 10hr relay. My girlfriend loved it and I have heard nothing but positive feedback from other participants. From my point of view, which was on the side lines, definately more friendly and laid back than any other race I have been to. Laps were about 7km so no one was out there too long, unless they did more than one.
    The 2008 OCA calender should be out in early December. http://www.ontariocycling.org/

Singlespeed Mysty
    Quote Originally Posted by rocks'r'friends
    Probably the most beginner friendly race I have seen was the Fly Gurlz 10hr relay. My girlfriend loved it and I have heard nothing but positive feedback from other participants. From my point of view, which was on the side lines, definately more friendly and laid back than any other race I have been to. Laps were about 7km so no one was out there too long, unless they did more than one.
    The 2008 OCA calender should be out in early December. http://www.ontariocycling.org/
    rocks, that was my first race... I saw your gal riding... she looked so happy... it was quite motivating for me to see her out there just going and going... I did that race on my SS... it was great! I was on a 5 girl team and ended up doing 3 laps in total with my last lap being the fastest... I was so fired up, I would have gone for a 4th!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I became a member of Team Misfit Psycles because of the free coasters"

diSSent 29er SS
    www.misfitpsycles.com