Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2012

Puslinch Vs HydroCut

My wife and I will have a kid free day coming up which will involve travelling from London to Toronto. We are going to stop and ride somewhere in between the two, but I can't decide between Puslinch and the HydroCut. I have not ridden either, so I'm looking for some advice.

What would you pick?

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Well I have never done Puslinch but if we get a ton of rain the cut with be muddy, other than that I was just there last weekedn and was awesome.I might be hitting Turkey Point this weekend of the rain keeps up.

mtbr member
    I would pick Hydrocut.

While I thoroughly enjoy riding at both,

1) Hydrocut is easier to navigate. It's very simple to follow the trails around covering everything without thinking too much. All trails are one way and it's well marked at intersections. While you can't get lost in Punslinch and it's not hard to get yourself going, it's a spaghetti platter of singletrack with lots of linguine doubletrack thrown on top. If you can follow the blue blazes (or yellow, can't remember), it should lead you through a continual 18-20 km loop, but frankly I always end off track at some point.

2) Hydrocut has a few more interesting features, like Kamikaze, rock overs, fast, flowy down hills, and slightly more elevation changes (though both are pretty flat).

Either way you'll have fun.

mtbr member
    If you decide on Hydrocut which would be my choice as well:

The Hydrocut

Great map to the trails and parking lots
    Burnt Norton

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Both trails are my home trails. The Cpt. is right about the 'cut being way easier to navigate than Puslinch. If you are fit it is a real blast because it is such a fast place but it is a completely different and somewhat boring ride from a technical standpoint. As long as you have momentum there is little that is tough to get over at the 'cut.

Stay away from the 'cut if it's been wet. The place does not drain well b/c it's clay.

Puslinch has some fast flowy sections too but tons of it is really rocky rooted short steep stuff where screwing up even a bit means you aren't making the climb. The big problem with Puslinch is knowing where to find everything just like CPT. said. Once you do though, you'll end up hooked. There's one section of singletrack called 'the never ending trail' that goes on for ever and is tight enough that you can use the small ring if you are tired. It is also middle ring doable for the hearty. This damned section is so long that I am almost hoping for it to be over so my forearms get a break.

Stupid fast race pace for the 'cut is 1:15 but normal people will be between 1:30 and 2 hours, non stop. A few breaks and you will 2- 2.5 hrs no problem.

Puslinch is easily two hours because it is so easy to get lost. I have never actually ridden all of it in one session because I always forget or miss something.

It's a better place if it's been wet. Dries up really quick.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

mtbr member
    Agree with everyone. I ride Puslinch 30 times a year and still get lost. If its only one day and you want to push out the kms do hydro, if you would rather explore,get lost,stepped on by a horse and possibly ride in circles for 40 mins do puslinch. in my opinion way more fun ride puslinch.
    If I wanted to objectify a women I'd do it on my terms not theirs.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Great Intel - thanks all!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    One thing, Puslinch is right on the 401, takes just a couple of minutes to get there. I'm not sure if you can get there from the closed service center or not.
    Puslinch is my favorite place to ride - it's not that hard to find your way around it.

mtbr member
    If it hasn't rained, definitely go try the Hydrocut. And stop at The Blue Moon tavern on your way out of town for a pint & a patio.

Puslinch is good but very difficult to navigate. It will be easier to have fun at the Hydrocut instead.

There's a couple km's of trails in Woodstock not far off the 401 if you haven't been here yet... Official all-things-Woodstock mountain biking thread
    also known as Plaid Shirt Guy...

Lemmy Rules!
    I'm gonna say go to Puslinch because, unlike the 'cut, I have never broken any bones there....
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Puslinch if it has rained because it basically is a gravel pit Hydrocut will have closed signs up and you dont want to see your pic on the wall of shame see Hydrocut blog for that one, you may get a little lost but basically its a rectangle with 401 on north side and country roads on the 3 other. Get lost have fun if time is an issue pop out on the road and ride back to you car. It is also within less than 5 min drive from 401 Townline exit

mtbr member
    I rode Pushlinch once and I will never ever do it again. The trails have little to no flow to them. It's like they tried to cram as much trail into the technical section as they could with little regards to flow. You're riding over other people constantly because of this too.
    Another pleasing factor about Pushlinch, is the trail is covered Tim Horton's cups and smells like dog piss and ****. Does everybody in that area walk their dog there? I couldn't ride 3 meters without getting a whiff of piss or ****. It's disgusting.

mtbr member
    Heading to the 'cut tomorrow for the first time, the map looks great, pretty straight forward, are there any 'must hit' trails?

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg_o View Post
    Heading to the 'cut tomorrow for the first time, the map looks great, pretty straight forward, are there any 'must hit' trails?
    Kamikaze is the "must hit" line but they're all great. You'll have a blast.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    For the average rider, you can ride everything in hydrocut in under 2 hours at steady pace. So I say plan for it all! Not hard to make sure you ride everything either.

dru
    mtbr member
    Sep 2006
    Kamikaze must be hit with momentum.

There is 3 or 4 steep pitches that rely on momentum from the downhill before each pitch. Middle ring, 3rd or 4th in the back for the whole thing. Get a few pedal strokes in on each of the downhills.

Drew
    occasional cyclist

Evil Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    For the average rider, you can ride everything in hydrocut in under 2 hours at steady pace. So I say plan for it all! Not hard to make sure you ride everything either.
    Be sure to do Adam's Run. It's a bit of an orphan and can be easy to miss but it's worth the effort. It's usually the last thing I do before I head back to the parking lot.

EDIT: Oh and be on the lookout for some of the alternate lines (through optional rock gardens and over fun obstacles, for example).
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

mtbr member
    Yes look out for Adams Run, it's a great trail! The entrance for it is marked west of the trail map sign in the pines section. It has received some great improvements over the past year.

Definitely aim to ride the entire network though. Logistically I find it more natural to navigate from the Glasgow entrance (east side of the network).

And definitely keep the momentum up on Kamikaze if you ride the high line!

mtbr member
    Thanks all for the advice. Had a blast, really happy I went today. Will be back for sure. Kamikazee was nuts (really wasn't expecting that, even after dru's detailed tutorial) Adams Run was great too, long but fun.

Probably disliked Twister the most - it was weird - fun twisty and tight but a complete barrage of branched to the face. Actually it was still enjoyable, just with the low visibility from growth was hard to know where you're going, so not much flow for me.

Got the most speed (continuous) and flow on the blue squares and single black diamonds like Bride, Stinky Girl and Monkey Boy.

Also must mention everyone I met there was super cool, and a distinct lack of tight spandex compared to my regular trails (cough Albion cough).

No. Just No. Moderator
    Also must mention everyone I met there was super cool, and a distinct lack of tight spandex compared to my regular trails (cough Albion cough).
    Folks around this forum talk about enjoying their riding, regardless of whether it's up/down, on whatever trails, wearing whatever they like (baggies, jeans, spandex, doesn't matter) If you feel the need to judge people based on what they wear, take it back to high school please.

Evil Jr.
    Probably disliked Twister the most - it was weird - fun twisty and tight but a complete barrage of branched to the face. Actually it was still enjoyable, just with the low visibility from growth was hard to know where you're going, so not much flow for me.
    That bit does tend to get a bit "bushy" by this time of year. That section is the most fun in the spring and early summer. Glad you had fun otherwise. Kamikaze does take some getting used to - I can still remember how thrilled I was the first time I cleaned the whole thing - which takes a bit of doing on a rigid SS .

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    That bit does tend to get a bit "bushy" by this time of year. That section is the most fun in the spring and early summer. Glad you had fun otherwise. Kamikaze does take some getting used to - I can still remember how thrilled I was the first time I cleaned the whole thing - which takes a bit of doing on a rigid SS .
    Hah, my rigid misfit makes me pay dearly for taking her on the Kamikaze trail. Definitely shakes out the shoulders!

mtbr member
    Heading over to Hydrocut tomorrow early afternoon. I can't believe it's the first time this season. How time flies.
    Burnt Norton

Resident Redneck

Puslinch Vs HydroCut

Few us will be there on Sunday. Looking forward to it

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Got to the Hydrocut on the weekend and really enjoyed it. My compliments to the trail keepers there!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast