Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Muskoka

Puppy Pedal preride [o]

Puppy Pedal is an annual fundraiser for the Canadian Guide Dog Foundation on Sunday Sep 18th. It is a 40K plus distance recreational ride out from the Muskoka Wharf in Gravenhurst to the Torrance Barrens Trails and return via Old Stone Rd Trail or Devil's Gap Trail. Classic Canadian Shield scenery along side of some of Muskoka's sweetest trails! This being such a glorious weekend, at great hardship to myself I rode all three venues in order to bring you these pics!

Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 09-11-2011 at 05:41 PM.

Muskoka

cont'd...[o]

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Is this a marked, planned course or more of a get together? Looks pretty scenic

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyrblade View Post
    Is this a marked, planned course or more of a get together? Looks pretty scenic
    Planned, usually marked. Typically there are leads and sweeps on the ride.

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    I'll be heading out Saturday to mark the course in anticipation of Sunday morning's event - so the main route is pretty easy to follow and will have sweep riders and (to be confirmed) a sag wagon on call if it's needed.

BCD and I were talking yesterday about doing the extended course on Sunday as well. This route would NOT be marked and would be done as a no-drop, guided ride only to those serious cyclists - last time I did the loop the GPS read 70km...

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Biff Pedachenko View Post
    - last time I did the loop the GPS read 70km...
    Holy Crap I didn't think it was that far?!?! I thought it was more like 52k.Maybe BCD will be doing the out and back

Sweet Monkey Tuesday!
    Maybe I'm wrong - I haven't got the GPS track here - but I know we did hit 70km on our last trip, but thinking back we did do a bunch of exploring on that ride trying to find connectors between Barren's, Devil's Gap, and a certain other trail in that neighbourhood that we may or may not be permitted to ride

Muskoka
    The only significant extra length is looping around Southwood Rd over pick up Clear lake Rd, then Clear Lake Rd until even with the Barrens. I just put that section through my Garmin Map Source and it's in the ~15k range. So that put's us rough and dirty at 55k for the whole ride by coming back that way. I know 52k sticks in my mind for that loop for some reason.

ps - from my rides this weekend, those trails are all in good shape and very rideable, having encountered only two small liftovers on Devil's Gap Trail.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    ps - from my rides this weekend, those trails are all in good shape and very rideable, having encountered only two small liftovers on Devil's Gap Trail.
    What is a liftover? Is that like a stile on some hiking trails?

Since I have never done a ride of 40km in a single go, I always had my car at Hardwood or elsewhere that I could return to for supplies or what not, what do you suggest I bring with me?

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudhead View Post
    What is a liftover? Is that like a stile on some hiking trails?

Since I have never done a ride of 40km in a single go, I always had my car at Hardwood or elsewhere that I could return to for supplies or what not, what do you suggest I bring with me?
    Its just a small area that I didn't want to ride through, ie very muddy or wet with undetermined depth. So rather than getting a mud encrusted drivetrain (or worse) lots of k's from the trail head I just got off and walked around. I saw two of these, biggest being maybe 8 ft long. But that's just me, the Slow Spokes on the other hand would just bomb on through, probably wheelie at the same time
    You can do this ride no problem. Fill your hydration pac with sport drink, chilled with ice cubes, a couple of Cliff bars and your good to go.
    The Leo's club will have water, pop, and cookies ( homemade )at Torrance Barrens to help with refueling.
    Post ride we hit Boston Pizza on the Wharf for food and beer

edit: - good idea to check your bike over ahead of time make sure everything is good, have a spare tube etc.

edit#2: - or skip the spare tube and just fill your flat tire with grass also per The Slow Spokes still one of my favourite all time pics and very impressive, maybe Near North will post it up
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 09-12-2011 at 07:11 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCanoeDog View Post
    Its just a small area that I didn't want to ride through, ie very muddy or wet with undetermined depth. So rather than getting a mud encrusted drivetrain (or worse) lots of k's from the trail head I just got off and walked around. I saw two of these, biggest being maybe 8 ft long. But that's just me, the Slow Spokes on the other hand would just bomb on through, probably wheelie at the same time
    You can do this ride no problem. Fill your hydration pac with sport drink, chilled with ice cubes, a couple of Cliff bars and your good to go.
    The Leo's club will have water, pop, and cookies ( homemade )at Torrance Barrens to help with refueling.
    Post ride we hit Boston Pizza on the Wharf for food and beer

edit: - good idea to check your bike over ahead of time make sure everything is good, have a spare tube etc.

Oh I thought you said leftovers like the parts of mountain bikers bears don't like the taste of or when they get too full to eat someone in one go. but you said liftovers.
    Oh ya slow spokes just get a head of steam up do a small manual and then porpoise anything under 8 to 10 feet........right I gingerly left my I9's over anything dampish, If I was artistic and had a nice camera I would probably just carry it around all waxed and shined up and take pictures of it in really cool trails and places
    Just pullin you leg B I like what you do with your camera and the pictures of local trails that you post for all to see

Dorkimus Prime
    BCD, A buddy of mine and myself were thinking about leaving Hamilton for Buckwallow this Sunday at 7:00am. I hate to take from Buckwallow's business, but your guided tour this sunday does sound better. What time are you guys setting out?

Ed
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Biggie View Post
    BCD, A buddy of mine and myself were thinking about leaving Hamilton for Buckwallow this Sunday at 7:00am. I hate to take from Buckwallow's business, but your guided tour this sunday does sound better. What time are you guys setting out?

Ed
    The official start is 10, but typically it's been half past by the time we get rolling. you should be able to make it. Would love to have you join us, do you know your way down to the wharf?

mtbr member
    Thanks for the invite B I will pass the idea around and see if I can talk some of the guys into going no promises. I rode that route maybe 2 weeks ago it was great, walked around maybe 2 mud holes that was it. We went with another couple had a fun afternoon.

Dorkimus Prime
    BCD, my original partner bailed for this weekend. It looks like I'm out, if I can find someone else, I'll let you know. That's a long haul with nobody to split the gas bill with....

It sounds like quite an adventure....
    "I love being on a bike. It helps me feel free. I get it from my dad", by Guillaume Blanchet

All my faucets is Moen.
    Beautiful as usual.
    I'm looking forward to seeing some fall colors in your photos.

Muskoka
    BCD, my original partner bailed for this weekend. It looks like I'm out, if I can find someone else, I'll let you know. That's a long haul with nobody to split the gas bill with....

It sounds like quite an adventure....
    That's a shame! And it is a long way to come but riding The Barrens and surrounds really is a unique experience, you can't get riding like this anywhere else. I don't know any riders from Hamilton to suggest unfortunately. Maybe start a seperate thread putting an offer out to share expenses? Buried in here may not be enough, this thread doesn't seem to have a lot of legs!

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by thedumbopinion View Post
    Beautiful as usual.
    I'm looking forward to seeing some fall colors in your photos.
    Thanks! I'm thinking that could happen

Muskoka

bump...

Weather forecast for Sunday in Gravenhurst/ Muskoka is sunny with high of 20C. Perfect for a some backcountry riding Hoping to see a good turnout for the Puppy Pedal

Dorkimus Prime
    Hey BCD,

All hope is NOT lost!

My Wife is thinking we could stay somewhere on Sparrow Lake this Saturday, so I could get up and go. Do you have coordinates for this wharf the ride leaves from, or an addressÉ

Thanks,
    Ed

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I collected a few pledges from coworkers. I have some shiny new bike parts on my bike. I am looking forward to a great day of riding and weather and helping out a great cause.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Hey BCD,

All hope is NOT lost!

My Wife is thinking we could stay somewhere on Sparrow Lake this Saturday, so I could get up and go. Do you have coordinates for this wharf the ride leaves from, or an addressÉ

Thanks,
    Ed
    Follow regional road 169 (formerly hwy 169 through Gravenhurst. The wharf is on your right side as you continue west.

mtbr member
    Hey B I will still pass the idea around to the guys but I have been reminded that as always my family we be doing the Terry Fox run Sunday morning. Have a great ride and I hope to see lots of pictures.

Muskoka
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudhead View Post
    Follow regional road 169 (formerly hwy 169 through Gravenhurst. The wharf is on your right side as you continue west.

yes wharf is on the right but we are parking across the road from Boston Pizza and The Regatta restaurants. So actually left side of 169 and that parking lot entance is right at the traffic lights in font of Boston Pizza. There are nice restrooms/changerooms right there as well

Muskoka

maps to wharf..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast