Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007

PSA: How to hold a group ride and not get sued

Lots of people participate in group rides, ranging from formal training rides with a team to casual get-togethers with friends. No one wants to be sued, but as the casual get-togethers turn into something bigger, there is always the risk that someone will get injured, and you, the ostensible organiser, will get the blame - if not from the individual, then from their insurance company.

So - how do you organise a group ride (on mtbr, facebook or elsewhere) and not run the risk of losing your house? I did some research. I was starting to get concerned as our Tour de Buttertart and Dundas Monstercross rides (no longer our rides, due to fitness and toddler-time issues) got ridiculously popular.

1. Run it as a formal Club ride. This means that all participants must be paid and insured members of the club, and that the club must inform the OCA at least one week in advance that there will be a club "training ride".

But what if non-club members want to participate? There are a few options.

2. Run it as a formal Club ride (as above), but allow participants who are members of other clubs/teams and are insured by the OCA to purchase an Associate membership for a small fee. This is what the Hamilton Cycling Club does for its events. Issue - non-insured riders can still not participate.

3. Run it as a Try-the-Club event. This means non-members who are not insured by the OCA have to sign a waiver and have their deets recorded. The ride must be registered with the OCA and the non-members may only participate in one such ride per year.

4. Get a local shop to "run" the ride and register it under their insurance. They will typically have waivers and are set up for non club members. This is what they did for the Hallowe'en Big Azz Night Ride.

5. Incorporate a company (I just learned of this option second-hand from a talk given by a lawyer to OCA race organisers). This apparently costs about $200. The company has no assets, so if someone sues, the business just goes bankrupt. It keeps your personal assets completely separate. It is important to stress in all correspondence / publicity that the ride is organised by the company, not by you as an individual (this goes for club rides too). Beyond the initial effort of setting up the company, there is no additional effort required; anyone can attend your event and no waivers are required.

Edited to add: the directors of such a company could become liable, meaning they'd have to take out D&O insurance and demonstrate that it is a properly run company with a risk management plan etc. Thanks to Unglued (above)for pointing out some of the risks that remain by following option 5.

So. Do you organise rides? Do you feel at risk? Discuss!
    Last edited by Nerdgirl; 03-03-2014 at 10:33 AM.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Don't forget that not every club who organizes a group ride or event will be members of the OCA. Some will be covered like MTB Kingston through IMBA Canada or whoever else they use.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I'm intrigued by point number five. So you're saying that being incorporated basically trumps everything else and there's no need to mess around with waivers etc. for non-club riders on club rides?

Our club is struggling with how to manage this right now. We don't want to exclude non-club pals from rides but we also want to be covered. We are incorporated.

I guess the actual riders wouldn't have OCA insurance for themselves, but it would protect against someone (like a motorist, pedestrian) suing the group.

mtbr member
    Thank you Nerdgirl for taking the time to research and post this up.

Currently being named the 'President' of a non-incorporated club, having organized many public rides, not to mention recently seeing a person fracture a vertebrae while out on a ride who is now off work for 6 months, it makes you think hard about your liability when you step into a position of leadership.

(As an FYI, the fractured vertebrae was not on a ride I organized. I wouldn't say it was organized at all, it turned out to be a pretty impromptu meeting of various groups of people riding at Hilton).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanB View Post
    I'm intrigued by point number five. So you're saying that being incorporated basically trumps everything else and there's no need to mess around with waivers etc. for non-club riders on club rides?

Our club is struggling with how to manage this right now. We don't want to exclude non-club pals from rides but we also want to be covered. We are incorporated.

I guess the actual riders wouldn't have OCA insurance for themselves, but it would protect against someone (like a motorist, pedestrian) suing the group.
    If I'm following correctly, I think point 5 is best for an individual organizing a ride. Like if we come on here and post for a group ride. I don't think you would want to have any affiliation to a shop or the OCA as they could be named on a potential lawsuit. They would ultimately have something to lose.

Evil Jr.
    Just one other thing: if your club is incorporated (and it should be), make sure you get proper director's insurance.
    Please enjoy seeing this terrible collection of me - something wonderful is about to happy.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    CptSydor has it exactly correct. The reason that incorporating a company just to organise rides is worthwhile is because the company has no assets. Your incorporated club does protect you as an individual. However, if your incorporated club runs a ride that includes non-insured individuals and someone gets hurt, then:
    a) your insurance company will not cover any damages, and
    b) the club could lose all assets and have to declare bankrupcy. Bye bye club! Also, as an OCA-affiliated club, you could be putting the OCA at risk.

I really wrote this post for CptSydor (I'd be willing to contribute $20 to incorporation expenses, btw), but thought the info would be useful to lots more people too.

Quote Originally Posted by CptSydor View Post
    If I'm following correctly, I think point 5 is best for an individual organizing a ride. Like if we come on here and post for a group ride. I don't think you would want to have any affiliation to a shop or the OCA as they could be named on a potential lawsuit. They would ultimately have something to lose.

Ms. Monster
    Mar 2007
    Just to clarify (since you heard the lawyer and I didn't), would the "director" of an incorporated company also need director's insurance? How do you get that?

Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Just one other thing: if your club is incorporated (and it should be), make sure you get proper director's insurance.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Speaking of lawyers, lawsuits, and outdoor activities. Don't know if anyone saw last months court decision.

'Ski buddy' not liable for heli-ski death, court rules - British Columbia - CBC News

While skiing related this could have had ramifications in the long term and not just in skiing.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Chicken or egg? Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by garage monster View Post
    Maybe, maybe not. Before taking out any D&O (Director's and Officer's) coverage it's important to read the fine print to make sure the coverage is actually providing the benefit you think it's providing, so that you aren't spending your insurance dollars on the wrong coverage.

D&O coverage - at least those I am familiar with through cycling PSOs - is strictly for coverage of legal expenses related to disputes between directors in the management of the corporation. The D&O does not serve any function for general liability protection, and in this capacity the same general liability that is part of the club's general coverage is also what covers the directors.

Although I cannot say for certain, I am guessing that mainstream D&O (i.e. not specific to cycling clubs through a cycling PSOs policy) is similar.

mtbr member

Good thread Nerdgirl.
    But it really sux that it's necessary.
    I guess nobody's responsible for their own actions nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
    Ride a Santa Cruz heckler
    And many part bikes : )
    " Team Van Go"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Crash&bern View Post
    Good thread Nerdgirl.
    But it really sux that it's necessary.
    I guess nobody's responsible for their own actions nowadays.

I don't think it is always people not taking responsibility for their operators choices and errors. Unglued might be able to confirm this. But from what I have heard a lot of the lawsuits are in the end insurance companies suing the other company to essentially get back the money they had to pay out for injury.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by Enduramil View Post
    I don't think it is always people not taking responsibility for their operators choices and errors. Unglued might be able to confirm this. But from what I have heard a lot of the lawsuits are in the end insurance companies suing the other company to essentially get back the money they had to pay out for injury.
    Yes , I understand that. I've missed work due to injuries on my bike. I didn't go to my insurance and they didn't go after the trail builder/ride organizer.
    I understand the risks involved and don't think the trail builder or ride organizer should be held responsible .
    This is my opinion of course and I know many would disagree.

" Team Van Go"

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Yes , I understand that. I've missed work due to injuries on my bike. I didn't go to my insurance and they didn't go after the trail builder/ride organizer.
    I understand the risks involved and don't think the trail builder or ride organizer should be held responsible .
    This is my opinion of course and I know many would disagree.

Simplest solution....always have Unglued with every ride. If the mere mention of his name can make Specialized surrender.....
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Speaking of lawyers, lawsuits, and outdoor activities. Don't know if anyone saw last months court decision.

'Ski buddy' not liable for heli-ski death, court rules - British Columbia - CBC News

While skiing related this could have had ramifications in the long term and not just in skiing.

She got 18million and wanted more !

But from what I have heard a lot of the lawsuits are in the end insurance companies suing the other company to essentially get back the money they had to pay out for injury.
    Right, but as C&B points out below someone had to make a claim and received a payout in the first place, for it to result in for one insurance company going after another.

There are also some types of insurance that pay out income replacement as a matter of basic benefits, without needing to sue anyone, but I suspect the amounts involved there are generally small enough in the grand scheme of things that it's not worth it for the insurer to go after a 3rd party to recoup their cost of benefits paid.

I didn't go to my insurance and they didn't go after the trail builder/ride organizer.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by croft View Post
    She got 18million and wanted more !
    Yep.

Though the biggest discussion was what this would mean in the long term both for organizations and even individuals.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Lemmy Rules!
    I wouldn't recommend option no 5.

Even though a corporation is a separate legal entity, it has to have directors and officers. If everyone on the ride knows the corporation was just incorporated as a shell to avoid liability for the individuals organizing the ride ( which I expect they will now, given that I think we all know which ride we are talking about here), anyone injured will sue those directors and officers personally too.

There is a large body of jurisprudence which says that if an individual incorporates a shell corporation with no assets simply to avoid personal liability, a plaintiff will be permitted to pierce the corporate veil and the directors and officers would be found personally liable.

The directors and officers would likely not be entitled to coverage under their home insurance and while D and O coverage is incredibly complex, the short answer is I doubt it would respond in a case where individuals simply incorporated a company as a shell to avoid personal liability.

In case I was not clear enough above, I will say it again: Don't incorporate a company just to avoid liability or affiliating with a club. It won't work. If someone is seriously hurt and sues, at a minimum you will have to hire a lawyer to defend you personally and that could be tens of thousands of dollars.

The real solution in my view is to run it as a club ride. Anyone who is a
    Member of any club is able to ride. And print off a bunch of OCA releases and make sure anyone who is not in a club signs one before you leave.

Kim-if you or Marc or Cpt have any more questions about this, don't post them here. I cannot give legal advice to the whole world in a public forum, as my liability insurance will not cover me for it (irony!)-pm, email or call me and I will walk you through this in detail. Do not incorporate Tour de Buttertart Inc
    Last edited by Unglued; 03-01-2014 at 01:17 PM.
    Strava made me do it....

mtbr member
    Personally, I would have no problem signing any kind of waivers. I am not in a club, but I always buy a UCI race license (through OCA) and I already signed a long list of waivers, so I think I would be ok.

But I have no problem paying a reasonable fee for any temporary "membership" for the organized ride either.
    My rides:
    Lynskey Ti Pro29 SL singlespeed
    GF Superfly 29er HT
    S-Works Roubaix SL3 Dura Ace
    Pake French 75 track

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by serious View Post
    Personally, I would have no problem signing any kind of waivers. I am not in a club, but I always buy a UCI race license (through OCA) and I already signed a long list of waivers, so I think I would be ok.

But I have no problem paying a reasonable fee for any temporary "membership" for the organized ride either.
    Same here. Our local club organizes group rides and members sign a waiver once a year. Whenever a group ride is posted, there is a link to the waiver document in case there are guests/non members who want to join the ride.

mtbr member

Here's some good reading that may be helpfull to you Nerdgirl & others.
    IMBA s " managing mountain biking "
    Topics include.
    Liability waivers & participant agreements.
    Hazardous recreational activity immunity.
    Negligence and standard of care
    Types of trail related law suits
    Risk management
    Defense against negligence
    Assumption of risk
    And so on.
    Hope this helps trail builders & people hosting rides.
    Cheers
    Bern.

" Team Van Go"

mtbr member

RE: PSA: How to hold a group ride and not get sued

Quote Originally Posted by tntt View Post
    Same here. Our local club organizes group rides and members sign a waiver once a year. Whenever a group ride is posted, there is a link to the waiver document in case there are guests/non members who want to join the ride.
    And non-members joining the ride are required to sign a waiver before the ride. Having said that there are only 2 regular club sanctioned rides so the other non-club regular rides should also benefit from the tips in this thread.
    Sent from my Lumia 920 using Board Express

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Wonder where those "group" rides like Toronto's donut ride fall? While that is more known but there are group rides that have existed for many years and still do. No organization other then meet at x coffee shop at this time and ride. Know of one in Markham and at least 2 others.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Wonder where those "group" rides like Toronto's donut ride fall? While that is more known but there are group rides that have existed for many years and still do. No organization other then meet at x coffee shop at this time and ride. Know of one in Markham and at least 2 others.
    I may not be remembering correctly, but I seem to recall at least one incident from the Donut Ride which resulted in legal actions between participants. If it's not an organized and insured group ride through a club, and there's an incident a rider could be held personally liable. Or, even if a suit were unsuccessful the legal expenses of defending could be significant. If it was an insured ride the insurance company's lawyers would probably handle it from end to end on their dime to try to mitigate the amount they have to pay in damages (if any).

humber river advocate
    correct me if i am wrong... anybody can sue anybody in a civil lawsuit... insurance or no insurance... incorporation or not...

For many people, the litigation process can be very intimidating. Having knowledge about the process can help to ease one’s fears.

Below you will find an outline of the twelve key steps in the litigation process:

Determining Jurisdiction
    Statement of Claim
    Statement of Defence and Counterclaim
    Reply and Defence to Counterclaim
    Discovery Plan
    Affidavit of Documents (Documentary Discovery)
    Examinations for Discovery
    Answering Undertakings and Motions to Compel Answers
    Motions
    Mandatory Mediation
    Set the Matter Down for Trial and Pretrial Conference
    Trial
    Step One: Determining Jurisdiction

The first step in the litigation process is to decide which court the action should be started in. If a person’s claim is for $25,000 or less, the action must be started in the small claims court. Claims for more than $25,000 should be started in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice. The process described in this document applies to actions started in the Superior Court of Justice.

If a Plaintiff’s claim is for $100,000 or less, the claim is started in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice, under the Simplified Procedure Rule. Claims over $100,000 are started in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice under the ordinary Rules. Parties can, however, agree to use the simplified procedure for claims over $100,000.

Our litigation team members will be able to advise you in which jurisdiction the claim should be commenced, and whether to use the simplified procedure.

Step Two: Statement of Claim

To start the litigation process, the person who has been harmed (the “Plaintiff”) prepares a statement of claim. The statement of claim describes the facts and the legal reasons that the Plaintiff says he or she is entitled to compensation from the other person (the “Defendant”). The Plaintiff and the Defendant are called “parties”.

It is very important to issue the statement of claim before the applicable limitation period expires. For most lawsuits, the claim must be issued within two years of the Plaintiff learning about the harm caused by the Defendant. However, there are different limitation periods for certain types of claims. Your lawyer is in the best position to tell you when the limitation period expires after a discussion about the facts.

If it is not possible to issue a statement of claim within the limitation period, the Plaintiff can issue a Notice of Action within the applicable limitation period. The Plaintiff then has an additional period of time within which tofile a Statement of Claim.

The statement of claim is filed with the court and the Plaintiff must then arrange to serve it on the Defendant personally.

Litigation lawyers are trained to draft a Statements of Claim that best position your case, and are also able to navigate the complex court filing system quickly to ensure your claim is filed properly and on time.

Step Three: Statement of Defence and Counterclaim

If the Defendant has been served in Ontario, he or she must serve the Plaintiff with a Statement of Defence within a brief window of time. Defendants served in another province or in the United States or in another country have slightly more time to serve their Statement of Defence.. The Statement of Defence sets out the reasons that the Defendant says he or she should not have to compensate the Plaintiff. If the Defendant has a claim against the Plaintiff (a “counterclaim”), it is included in the same document as the Statement of Defence.

If the Defendant cannot serve the Statement of Defence within the specified time, he or she can give the Plaintiff a Notice of Intent to Defend. This Notice gives the Defendant additional time to deliver a Statement of Defence.

If the Defendant does not file a Statement of Defence within the required time, the Plaintiff can ask the court to note the Defendant in default and then obtain default judgment against the Defendant.

Litigation counsel is trained to identify the appropriate legal defence to defend against the Statement of Claim.

Step Four: Reply and Defence to Counterclaim

Once the Plaintiff receives the Statement of Defence, he or she has the chance to file a reply to the allegations made in the Statement of Defence. If the Defendant included a counterclaim, the Plaintiff must serve the Defendant with a Defence to the Counterclaim or else the Defendant can note the Plaintiff in default and then obtain default judgment against the Plaintiff for the damages described in the Counterclaim.

Step Five: Discovery Plan

Effective January 1, 2010, the parties must agree to a written discovery plan within 60 days of delivery of the Reply and Defence to Counterclaim, if any. The discovery plan sets out the scope of documentary discovery, the names of the people who will be produced for examination for discovery and the timelines for completing oral and documentary discovery. The party conducting the examination must serve a notice of examination on any person being examined at least two days before the examination is to take place.

It is your lawyer’s job to work with the other party’s lawyer to create this discovery plan.

Step Six: Affidavit of Documents (Documentary Discovery)

The Plaintiff and the Defendant must serve an affidavit of documents on the other party within the timetable established in the discovery plan.

An affidavit of documents lists all of the documents that are, or were, in the party’s possession and that are relevant to any matter in issue in the litigation. For actions started under the simplified procedure rules, the parties must also include a list of the names of people who have knowledge of the matters described in the statement of claim or Statement of Defence.

Effective January 1, 2010, the court has implemented a “proportionality” rule in relation to discovery. In determining whether a document must be produced or a question answered on discovery, the court must consider, among several other factors, whether it is reasonable within the context of the importance of the action and the amount of damages being claimed, and if it will have an adverse effect on the administration of justice.

The obligation to disclose relevant documents is ongoing throughout the litigation process. If, after preparing an Affidavit of Documents, a party comes into possession of a document that is relevant to a matter in issue in the lawsuit or otherwise discovers that the previous Affidavit of Documents is inaccurate or incomplete, the party must prepare a Supplementary Affidavit of Documents.

The importance of including all relevant documents in an Affidavit of Documents cannot be overemphasized. If a document is not listed in the Affidavit, the party may be prevented from using the document at trial. Should a party fail to include in an Affidavit a document unfavourable to his case, the court may severely penalize that party by ordering costs against that party, or even by dismissing the case.

Your lawyer is trained to create these documents properly, so that they best represent and protect your interests.

Step Seven: Examinations for Discovery

The examination for discovery involves the lawyers for each party asking the other party questions relating to the issues in the litigation. The examination takes place before an examiner who transcribes the testimony and each party takes an oath to tell the truth.

Ordinarily the lawyer who conducted the examination will request a transcript of the examination. This transcript can then be used at trial to challenge the evidence of the other party and for other purposes. Admissions made by a party can be evidence against that party.

If the lawyer for the party being examined thinks that a question is inappropriate, the lawyer will refuse to permit the client to answer the question and the examination will likely proceed without the party having to answer the question at that time. If the lawyer who conducted the examination thinks that the question is proper and wants an answer to it, the lawyer can bring a motion to the court and the court can order the party to answer the question that was asked.

As of January 1, 2010, the duration of the examination is time limited for the party conducting the examinations. If additional time is required, the party conducting the examination must obtain leave of the court or the consent of the other parties.

In actions started under the simplified procedure rules, examinations for discovery have even less time permitted for examinations.

Prior to an examination for discovery, your lawyer will explain the process to you and help you understand what is expected of you. Your lawyer will also explain what his or her role is at the examination.

Step Eight: Answering Undertakings and Motions to Compel Answers

During an examination for discovery, sometimes the person being examined does not have the information needed to answer a question right away or does not have a document that is requested. If that is the case, the person being examined can agree to provide the answer to the question, or the relevant document, after the examination is completed (this is called an “undertaking”).

If the person being examined does not provide the answer to the undertaking within a reasonable period of time, the lawyer for the other party can bring a motion to a judge asking for an order requiring the other party to provide the necessary information. If such an Order is made, the party who failed to provide the information in a reasonable time can be ordered to pay the costs of the other side for having to bring a motion to compel an answer to the undertaking.

Your lawyer will advise you as to whether or not a requested undertaking is reasonable and, if it is, will also ensure that undertakings are fulfilled properly.

Step Nine: Motions

Throughout the civil litigation process, either party may bring a motion to obtain a ruling from a judge on procedural or interim issues. For example, a party may bring a motion to exclude certain evidence from being used, or a motion to delete certain parts of the other party’s pleadings.

Your lawyer will know which motions to bring and when to bring them. It is your lawyer’s responsibility to use motions to find solutions to issues that may arise during the litigation process.

Step Ten: Mandatory Mediation

For all actions started in Ottawa, Toronto or Essex, parties are required to participate in a mediation session within 120 days of the first Statement of Defence being served. The parties can, however, consent to extend this time limit. Sometimes the parties will choose to postpone mediation in order to first carry out examinations for discovery.

Before the mediation session takes place, each party files a mediation brief with the mediator and gives a copy to the other party. The mediation brief identifies the factual and legal issues that are in dispute, sets out the party’s position on each issue, and includes copies of the most important documents in the case.

At the mediation session, the parties meet with a neutral mediator who tries to help them resolve the issues in the case. The mediator cannot force the parties to accept a settlement and the mediator does not have the power to impose a decision on the parties. Discussions at the mediation session are confidential, as are any settlement offers that are made during mediation. If the parties do not reach a settlement, offers made by a party cannot be referred to during the rest of the litigation process until after a judgment is reached.

If mediation does not resolve the matters, the parties may request, or the court may order, a settlement conference.

Your lawyer will explain how the mediation proceedings will be conducted and ensure you are comfortable knowing how the mediation works. There are rules relating to mediation that your lawyer will explain to you.

Step Eleven: Set the Matter Down for Trial and Pretrial Conference

After the above steps are completed, a party can set the matter down for trial by asking that it be placed on the trial list.

Within 90 days after the action is set down for trial, the court will give the parties notice that they must attend at a pre-trial conference.

Shortly before the pre-trial conference, each party must file a brief containing many different items required by the judge presiding over the pre-trial conference.

The lawyers and the clients must attend the pre-trial conference. At the conference, the lawyers discuss their clients’ positions and the judge who is presiding over the conference tries to help them reach a settlement. The judge may tell the parties how he or she would decide the case if he or she was trying the case. The judge’s opinion on the case is not binding and the judge conducting the pre-trial conference cannot hear the actual trial if the parties decide to continue.

The judge presiding over the pre-trial conference can establish a timetable and fix a date for the trial and, if a date is set, will complete a pre-trial conference report.

Although the pre-trial conference judge cannot order the parties to settle, the parties should give serious consideration to the judge’s opinion on the merits of the case.

The parties should also be mindful of the costs consequences rule that applies to settlement offers.It may be advantageous to make a reasonable offer to settle. Your lawyer should explain the details of how cost allocation works when offers to settle are made.

Step Twelve: Trial

The parties can decide to proceed with a trial if a settlement is not reached. Often, the parties will decide to settle the action before it goes to trial because the legal fees involved are quite high and there is always a risk that the party could lose at trial. Also, with the costs consequences of settlement offers, parties may be concerned that they may be liable for paying the other party’s costs if they lose.

During a trial, both parties present their evidence by calling witnesses. Depending on the issues in the litigation, expert evidence may also be required. At the end of the trial, the judge will make a decision that is binding on the parties. If a party is not satisfied with the judge’s decision, an appeal may be started in some circumstances.

For actions started under the simplified procedure rules, a party may request a summary trial. Summary trials have strict time limitations on presentation of evidence. The parties present their evidence by affidavit and then the person who signed the affidavit may be cross-examined by the other party’s lawyer for a specified period of time. In a summary trial, a party’s oral argument is restricted as well. At the end of the summary trial, the judge issues his or her decision.
    Support TORBA
    Sunnyside Bike Park Working Group
    Albion Hills Conservation Area Master Plan Public Advisory Committee

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast