Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Provincial Bike Lanes..

857 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  garage monster 
#1 ·
How could they possibly screw this one up?

Ontario Liberals eye bike network to spur tourism - Toronto - CBC News

Ontario's governing Liberals want to cash in on the burgeoning bike tourism craze, but aren't saying whether they'll provide any money to create more bike lanes and trails.

The government has released a new 20-year strategy aimed at making Ontario the most bicycle-friendly province in Canada, where more people will use their bikes to cut down on congestion and improve their health.

It talks about connecting more bike lanes locally and between municipalities to create a province-wide network to attract tourists.

The government says it wants to develop a "funding partnership" with municipalities and the federal government to build the routes, but doesn't say how much the province would pony up.

The 42-page document also talks about promoting safety by working with police to consistently enforce traffic laws.

The Liberals say they'll provide more information about implementing the plan next spring.

#4 ·
Paving the shoulders is the only conceivable strategy if tourism success is required, but it hasn't gotten off to a great start in my anecdotal experience. After highway 6 was widened between Wiarton and Tobermory, I immediately set about putting together a 'cottage' bike to make use of it. Admittedly, it did take me a small number (less than 5) of years since it wasn't that high a priority, but before I took my first ride the shoulder had already started to break up, and in long stretches had been milled and scarified in a seeming attempt to squeeze a few more years out of it. The milling and the scarifying has introduced a not wholly welcome Tour of Flanders element to the ride. This document makes for some interesting reading.

Another key element of the 20 year plan (no wimpy 5 year plans and great forward leapings for the province of Ontario) is a penalty for dooring.

#8 ·
I've kinda backed off on the road riding because the cars scare me. Doing the MTB thing this morning and it's not safe either, as I decided to ride to the trails!

I'm entering a roundabout and notice another vehicle entering to my left on one of the other entrances but I continue on as I've done nothing wrong and am riding perfectly normally. As I was not taking the next exit I cross the exit while signalling with my left arm signal that I was doing so. The car goes blasting by behind me taking the exit and blasting the horn at me. I gave an angry hand gesture at the driver, without the finger, and continued on my way.

Wtf, what's wrong with people?

Btw, I drive an 18 wheeler for a living so the stupidity of the average car driver never ceases to amaze me, but roundabouts are always dicey even if you are obeying the rules of the road. No shoulder check, no signal, just cut right across two lanes without looking and continue on their way.

Dicey place to be on a bicycle, although I really like roundabouts for cars and trucks. It's really a shame people don't have a clue how to use them.

Drew

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.