Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Gears, beers and slices..

The "positive" Horseshoe Marathon Race thread

The other thread kind of went south, so let's see if we keep this one positive and non-political. Riding a bike is fun.

I'm pumped for this race, and already can't wait for the other races in the series. I really dig the fact that it's going to be a laid back atmosphere - I love the enduro crowd - and look forward to riding with other like-minded racers. I know there will be a fair share of super skinnies (the fast guys that climb like mountain goats) but I hope there is a good sized casual element too.

I'll be part of the casual element, racing for the challenge of it all, and looking forward to a fun and epic ride.

rad to the power of sick
    Is anyone coming from the Guelph area? i would love to help pitch in on Gas.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    It will be so much fun, can't wait to ride the area. Hope there will be a good turnout. Good preparation for the 8hrs Mansfield next weekend. See you all Sunday. Happy that you change your mind superlightracer, hope to see you there and give you the opportunity for revenge

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'll just ramble for a bit so as to move the positive thread above the other one. I wish I could do both this and the Niagara Classic, but I can't, so have fun everyone.

Sorry Dan, that our moral support isn't more tangible, but either my wife (she's the one who bought the Norco Faze from you last year) or I will definitely be at the Ganaraska race (I think we might have 2-3 members of our high school team for the half-marathon)-if we get good babysitting lined up, then maybe both of us- and the Mansfield race is also a possibility.

mtbr member
    I'm also doing the Niagara Classic, otherwise I'd be in. Good luck everyone!!!
    Dan
    Ontario, Canada

2007 Cannondale Scalpel 1
    2005 Cannondale Rush 1000
    2004 Cannondale Chase

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Good Luck, enjoy all the climbing.

Stosh
    If you happen to see my lungs back there, tell them I've gone on ahead.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Good job!

I'm ready, and plan to 'race' errr. meander through the woods hoping to eventually
    end up at the finish line before I combust due to exhaustion. Nahhhh!

Weather may make it a bit hard for the fingers and toes to stay warm, and
    thankfully the small stream has a hard bottom and it can be riden dry.

Plan for the worst. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

It will be mucho fun and one heck of a training ride..

ciao, wiz

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I'm really excited for this race and the series overall. I will be one of the skinny guys but will probably toss on the first climb due to a hangover.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    That's the spirit, get it out of your system on the first climb.

I know they say to be thoroughly hydrated the day before.....I'm no expert.
    But I don't think they mean booze.... might just be me...

Have great ride...

wiz

Don't forget - all riders are asked to bring a non-perishable food item for the local food bank as part of the registration.

banned
    Feb 2005

Rain

Boy that was alot of rain last night and lots more on the way today. Looks like Dan has some tough decisions to make.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Hey folks, just remember that this is the POSITIVE horseshoe Marathon thread...just in case anybody forgot.

banned
    Feb 2005

Imba

I am POSITIVE that IMBA says to be kind to singletrack by not riding when the ground is wet.

mtbr member
    it's stopped raining here and I live 5 minutes from the race venue. Fingers crossed that the rain is done for the day

So, what tires should we be running in the snow? (check tomorrow's forecast for Barrie)

mtbr member
    I'm going to be running my Michelin xcr dry's. Found they worked really good on snow when I was riding on Georgian Bay this winter. Hopefully we don't get snow, the sun is trying to come out now

Yeah, with a little snow the switchback climbs will be tough for sure, but the downhill sections will be absolutely scary.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Have any of you pre-ridden the course? I'm curious to know what the ratio of climbing to descending will be.

What's weather looking like in the area for tomorrow?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=hurricanejoel]Have any of you pre-ridden the course? I'm curious to know what the ratio of climbing to descending will be.
    [QUOTE]

Well if it starts and finishes in the same place, it pretty much has to be 1:1. Makes the 7000 feet of climbing seem a little more appealing.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    That's good to hear. Now I need to man up and brave the bad weather.

Have any of you pre-ridden the course? I'm curious to know what the ratio of climbing to descending will be.
    ------------------------------------------

I rode about the last 35k of it last weekend. No idea what the start loop is like.

There is about 20k of constant "expert" climbing right in the middle of the course, before the singletrack flattens out and eventually re-joins the xc ski system. By expert, I mean constantly up and down in steep, twisty singletrack. This will test your fitness, but also your bike handling skills. This is a course that "mountain bikers" will absolutely love.

For those new to the area, it will be mentally tiring as you're constantly on the look out trying to see what's coming up around the corner or over the hills, especially when descending she singletrack. The singletrack will keep you on your toes, that's for sure.

It's a good old epic day of old-school mountain biking. The climbing is tough, and the descending is tough...but it's all a blast.

Weather is looking better now...sunny and a high of 9 on Sunday.

Yay!!! No snow.
    Yay!!! No rain.
    Boo!!! 4 degrees at race start - still damn cold.

Team NFI
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat Tyred
    I am POSITIVE that IMBA says to be kind to singletrack by not riding when the ground is wet.
    I'am now positive that you are a T-R-O-L-L.
    www.teamnfi.blogspot.com

Depression...can eat a sack of manure and die.

mtbr member
    Who's ready to build some character!?!

mtbr member
    Well the sun is out, it's windy and it's showing plus 4 at my place. Dress warm boys and girls

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast